CO 2nd Draw???

tdhanses

WKR
Looking through the regs per #206 (Applications and Drawing for Limited Licenses) section B6, only people that were unsuccessful at drawing an LE tag will be able to apply for any leftover LE tags in 2019. No group applications, youth and military will have preference to these tags and the deadline to apply will be the first Tuesday of July. Also you can only apply for the species unsuccessfully drawn in the original draw. Doesn’t look like pts will matter or be used in this second draw.

It doesn’t say what will happen with tags not drawn in the second draw cycle but I assume they will be available in a leftover list like previous years.

Not sure if this is new also but for any unit that requires more then 6pts to draw NR can only obtain 20% of the tags.

Also, might be reading this wrong but it says in units that take 10 pts or more for residents up to 20% of tags for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear will be issued through a random draw. Applicant must have 5+pts to be able to participate in the random draw.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
None of that is new. That's the way it's currently done.

Really guess focusing on otc I never noticed, so there has always been a second draw? If unsuccessful how do you pick what you want to draw for. Is it only for deer and elk?

It seems to covers some of what I hear residents complaining about, the 80/20 rule for example in better units, thought the hybrid draw was only in a few units that take 20pts or so to draw?

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Yep. Old news.

On the application, there is/was a box to select to be eligible for the 'Leftover Draw'.
If you select that box, you are mailed a list of leftover tags available after the 1st Draw.

You choose the hunt code you want and mail it back it before the deadline.

Then... after the 2nd Draw, any remaining licences are available for the General Public Chaos 'Leftover List'

cnelk

WKR
The Hybrid Draw is for anyone that has 5 PPs or more to be eligible - totally random draw

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Well guess that’s what I get for not playing the points game, lol.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well guess that’s what I get for not playing the points game, lol.

You don't have to play the points game......everyone can apply for a tag and then check the "leftover draw" block to be eligible for the leftover draw. But I rarely ever see any tags I'd be interested in on that list.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
You don't have to play the points game......everyone can apply for a tag and then check the "leftover draw" block to be eligible for the leftover draw. But I rarely ever see any tags I'd be interested in on that list.

I usually just get a pt and then buy an otc tag, finally burning pts next year so started looking more into the regs.

cnelk

WKR
I believe there is a proposal for the Leftover Draw to go away and call it the 2nd Draw, which will be open to everyone, and eliminate the Leftover List, regardless if you applied in the 1st Draw. Then everything else will be on the Re-Issue

I cant quite remember the specifics on it tho

topher89

WKR
Yep. Old news.

On the application, there is/was a box to select to be eligible for the 'Leftover Draw'.
If you select that box, you are mailed a list of leftover tags available after the 1st Draw.

You choose the hunt code you want and mail it back it before the deadline.

Then... after the 2nd Draw, any remaining licences are available for the General Public Chaos 'Leftover List'

Are the tags that guys did not pay for after the 1st draw part of the 2nd draw?

I did not draw the tag I wanted this year but by the time the leftover list got posted, there were 14 of the tag on this list. I have never had problems drawing the tag as a 2nd choice so I have not ever clicked the leftover draw option but now I feel like I should

cnelk

WKR
Are the tags that guys did not pay for after the 1st draw part of the 2nd draw?

I did not draw the tag I wanted this year but by the time the leftover list got posted, there were 14 of the tag on this list. I have never had problems drawing the tag as a 2nd choice so I have not ever clicked the leftover draw option but now I feel like I should

topher89

If you did not select the box on the first application, you did not see the tags that were available for the 2nd Draw. You saw what available AFTER the second draw which becomes the LEFTOVER LIST, which is picked over twice by the the time its released in August.

The 2nd Draw tags are the ones that didnt get drawn per the tag quota, and so on.

The tags that didnt get paid for were released sometime after the CC wasn't authorized, but I dont think they made the 2nd draw, but may have.
Thats just too deep in the weeds for me.

topher89

WKR
topher89

If you did not select the box on the first application, you did not see the tags that were available for the 2nd Draw. You saw what available AFTER the second draw which becomes the LEFTOVER LIST, which is picked over twice by the the time its released in August.

The 2nd Draw tags are the ones that didnt get drawn per the tag quota, and so on.

The tags that didnt get paid for were released sometime after the CC wasn't authorized, but I dont think they made the 2nd draw, but may have.
Thats just too deep in the weeds for me.

Hmmm, I may make a call to the CPW and post up the answer here. I definitely understand the basic process but I do want to know if unpaid tags make it back for the 2nd draw. I ended up with a 3rd choice doe tag this year which was fine because it allowed me to stay in a unit I know well but I would have preferred the buck tag. The 14 tags that showed up on the Leftover list were snatched up before I could even get the page to load.

Under the new system applicants only pay a small fee but are then required to pay for the tag if successful. If they don't pay, the tag would go into this second draw and eventually to leftovers? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the unsuccessful applicants who applied for that same tag a chance at it first? Or because they already were issued a different tag or preference point it would be too complicated for CPW to offer that? I seem to remember not getting drawn for a tag, and then randomly seeing one in the leftover list, and I would have loved to have traded the tag I did have back in for it, but even if that were possible I'm sure it was scooped up before I would have had time to get to a CPW office and even try.