"Two Legged Predator" Encounters?

Again, I wouldn't say it is common considering all of the days spent in the woods, but I have

1. Stumbled into grow operations
2. Drug smugglers
3. People smugglers
4. Moonshine stills
5. People shooting at me and hunting partner because we are hunting their pigs, and on a different occasion turkeys.
6. Landowners blocking the road and threatening to "take down" anyone who hunted what was actually public land
7. Several guys on private property (not theirs) firing guns (just to create a situation), and then strongly suggesting we don't hunt that area.

Plenty of other experiences, but all of those are good enough reasons for me to carry.

Fatcamp

WKR
My hunting partner is my wife. No way I'm going into remote areas without the proper mindset and equipment to defend her and myself.

To each their own.

Again, I wouldn't say it is common considering all of the days spent in the woods, but I have

1. Stumbled into grow operations
2. Drug smugglers
3. People smugglers
4. Moonshine stills
5. People shooting at me and hunting partner because we are hunting their pigs, and on a different occasion turkeys.
6. Landowners blocking the road and threatening to "take down" anyone who hunted what was actually public land
7. Several guys on private property (not theirs) firing guns (just to create a situation), and then strongly suggesting we don't hunt that area.

Plenty of other experiences, but all of those are good enough reasons for me to carry.
The people smuggling is the only one that really bothers me. I dont think I could just walk away from that one.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
The people smuggling is the only one that really bothers me. I dont think I could just walk away from that one.

Some things are worth dying for, and that ain't one of them. Unless its you're job, and you're on duty, observe/report (and gtf away from the area)

Titan_Bow

WKR
I tend to carry when I am in griz country, but otherwise, I feel way safer when I am in the woods somewhere, than I do in a city or around town...

Some old drunk miner threatened to kill me one time. I just laughed and put my hand on the giant revolver I carried for bears(I was working). He informed me that he would kill me later. I was never very worried and am now pretty lazy about carrying. Which is why I'm going to get a pocket 380.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR

Yeah, we were bowhunting many years ago down on the Mexican border south of Arivaca bumping into drug mules, and human smugglers. Multiple times the Border guys that checked us said we were stupid to be out there without a firearm.....even though at the time it was illegal to bow hunt and pack a pistol.

I wouldn't do that again.

Odds of ever actually having to draw my sidearm are slim to none. I truly hope I never have to unholster. That being said I will continue to carry in the backcountry and throughout my daily travels. Have had some heated confrontations and been in some remote areas known for high crime. Never know when a guy will stumble across a meth lab or something of the sorts. Would hate to not be prepared. To each there own though. Stay safe out there everyone.

Caconym

FNG
As an Aussie, the idea of having a land border for people to smuggle across seems totally alien (pun not intended).

I haven't had any run-ins yet, partly I think because we have a different definition of "remote" here. But there are definitely stories, most of them surrounding grow operations.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
When carrying a long gun I never carry a hand gun. I often carry a light pistol(9mm shield) if scouting. If in Griz country I have more faith in the bear spray I also carry. When I am away from home I leave a can of bear spray for my wife. Both the spray and her pistol sit by the bedside.

gabenzeke

WKR
Reviving an old thread. I was reading through all the posts and was thinking that it was weird how many encounters I have had here in Iowa compared to how many folks have out west with all that land available, but then I suppose with more land you're less likely to run into a holes. On public land I have:
Come across guys tending a meth lab.
Been shot at in the dark over a duck hunting spot because we got there first via a shortcut.
Ran into a guy on my way to my deer stand who was carrying my deer stand out.
Several threatening encounters with poachers that I stumbled into and did not provoke.
Been nearly hit by a 22 round while sitting in a turkey blind after some numb nuts thought he would just Target practice from a public access parking area. This got heated because he was parked behind me and didn't take kindly to my chewing him out. I was younger and should have not said a word, this guy was much crazier than I anticipated.
Had some super strange and drunk guy who I had noticed wandering in circles with a gun for a while come up to me and first ask to buy my dog and then asked if I'd ever considered killing anyone with my gun.

Also, prior to being old enough to carry, I was robbed at gunpoint twice. After being old enough to carry I went to a bar once with a buddy (so wasn't packing that day) and we stopped to fill up with gas on the way home. After paying, we go out to the car to find two guys sitting in it trying to take off. They couldn't drive a stick and my buddy is 6'5" and loves a good rumble. So when the would be getaway driver got out and tried to apologize, he didn't get more than a couple words out before said buddy landed a wicked right to the guys chin. Instant KO. As we drove away the guy was still clearly out. Kind of wondered how bad it was but then again, play dumb games and win dumb prizes.

Point being, bad shit happens everywhere.
There was a guy killed here in Iowa on public land and I have run into quite a few strange folks not out hunting or whatever a ways off the beaten path. Also while my family and I were on vacation, there was a guy found making meth on our private ground so I carry a gun when hunting there even though the house is only about 200 yards away. Things I've found on our private ground; a tool bag fully loaded with tools (score but very weird), a bottle of ether, 30-06 casings, trail cams, man made shelters, and a tree fort type thing. I also had a friend that had a trail cam picture of a guy at 3 am about a mile from the closest road on his pretty secluded piece of land.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most of the time the “people smuggling” guys run into on the border are coyotes helping illegals that want to,come here cross the border for $, not the sex trafficking 15 year old girls.

I’m more concerned about running into someone at a gas station at 4:30 am than I am 5 miles into the Backcountry. Camping at the edges of a national forest where drunk rednecks drive around all night is a different story, same with hunting edges near private land with cranky folks TJs think they own public too.

If you’re looking for “one gun” to do it all, it’s hard to go wrong with a Glock 19. I don’t like Glocks and don’t shoot them well, but it’s still a good choice for most situations.

One encounter that really got my attention was walking out of a local trail with my daughter. We came out around the corner and there were two pretty rough looking guys there working on there car. It was fine and they were probably just good old boys but let’s say they weren’t. It would have been hard for me to protect my little girl against two guys way bigger than me. I’ve always carried but I only had my .380 that day. After that I ordered a HPG snubbie kit bag and I carry my Glock 19 or 26 in that. I’m pretty capable with those guns and it would be a bad day for someone to start something and put any of my family in danger. It was always hard to carry a bigger pistol when I had my pack on and still keep it concealed. HPG works perfectly. Also if I was just worried about people I wouldn’t be carrying a Glock 20. That’s a big gun to be toting around. You’ll end up leaving because it’s to big or heavy. In Grizzly country though it’s a perfect choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Agreed. Glock 20 isnt a "people" gun. If you want one for just that carry a 9 or 40.

Say I wanted a concealed carry wheel gun. What's a good option there? .357/ .38 spcl /.380? Not too expensive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Ran into some morrell pickers once. Stopped to talk. The, what I thought were daughters, looked confused and then in a thick eastern European accent says that so and so is over there. All beautiful girls. Not very old. Teens. The "dad" was off in the woods away from us a few hundred yards. Then as I backed out and left I see a Hispanic dude with slicked hair, leather jacket and leather boots walking and smiles at me. He wasn't dressed for the rainy day it was. I've wondered if he had his "girls" making money a different way that day. Outside if Missoula.

slick

WKR
Ran into some morrell pickers once. Stopped to talk. The, what I thought were daughters, looked confused and then in a thick eastern European accent says that so and so is over there. All beautiful girls. Not very old. Teens. The "dad" was off in the woods away from us a few hundred yards. Then as I backed out and left I see a Hispanic dude with slicked hair, leather jacket and leather boots walking and smiles at me. He wasn't dressed for the rainy day it was. I've wondered if he had his "girls" making money a different way that day. Outside if Missoula.

Please tell me you reported this.

I always carry while out hunting. While archery hunting this year I had 2 guys walk in following my cow calls with rifles. I felt pretty exposed and luckily I saw them first and kept them from seeing me. I will always carry a side arm for that reason.