"Two Legged Predator" Encounters?

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Currently researching new hand gun for some back country use and home defense, and during my research on here i'm constantly seeing people stating they carry when hunting in case the run into "two legged predators," and how much more concerned they are for dangerous people than four legged predators.

Got me wondering how common these run ins are when people are hunting if its actually something to be concerned with or just something people are aware of. I sincerely hope, as I'm sure everyone else does that i'm never in that situation but is it something that people have had experienced when your hunting/hiking etc not just home defense?

Sasquatch is out there. He gets mighty upset with you when you bump him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen several squatchs at deer camp every year, usually with fried chicken in one hand and beer in the other.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen several squatchs at deer camp every year, usually with fried chicken in one hand and beer in the other.

Personally I wouldn’t mess with anyone that hangs with Sasquatch. I would offer him another beer though.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve never carried in the backcountry of Colorado with the idea of “two legged predators” in mind. Maybe I should buy lotto tickets but in 50 years I’ve never even come close to thinking I needed protection from other people in the backcountry.

jmez

WKR
Have never had any sort of encounter anywhere with a "2 legged predator" that made me feel the need for a gun.

Randle

WKR
Grow operations come to mind. I have not run into one but have friends that say they have.

wesfromky

WKR
Being in remote parking areas, esp after dark or super early in the AM are the main reason I carry when hunting.

Trial153

WKR
Two places that I have run into unsavory types in the back country were western SD and NM. Both times I was glad to be carrying. Use and carry what your comfortable and proficient with. For me usually a glock 43 with a mag extension, so it 8 plus 1, then a spare mag. Weight penalty for sure, but worth it.

Backyard

WKR
I've actually never heard of a "two legged predator attack" anywhere in the woods that I can think of. Lots of bear and lion and the occasional rabid coon. But never two legged types. I'm talking about actual attacks, not some guy walking up on someone and giving them the creeps.

Never been attacked but a two legged predator, but have had a couple interesting encounters. Ran into an old mtn man one day while marking the property lines of some land I was leasing. He had a 44 mag on his belt and a scowl on his face. When he asked me what I was doing I told him "marking lines." He glared at me and said "I highly suggest you stay on your side and mind your business. I deal with my own problems around here." Noted. He probably had a moonshine still in the hollar.

Ran into a group of Hispanics illegally collecting ginseng on the Pisgah NF one time. They were not happy to see me. Quite a bit of yelling and me quickly making it known that I didnt see anything.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran into my share of sketchy people over the years. It's been my experience that when you walk into the middle of something illegal is when things tend to get shakey.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I have had some encounters that got seriously close to needing a sidearm where poachers were involved. Had a couple of bad experiences duck hunting too but had a shotgun in those so no real need for sidearm.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I always carry, where I hunt a lot there have been several folks disappear under odd circumstances. The other reason is I am carrying a couple grand worth of shit on me and I’m not giving it up.

I have run into people in the middle of nowhere and they were completely out of place, not hikers, not hunters, that trips my radar.

Those of you that have never had an issue over many years - it only takes one. Moral codes have degraded over the last few decades and crack heads have no conscience. I will carry the extra weight of my G29 for that once in a lifetime possibility, as that is all it takes.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camping right off a NF road; which I don't like to do, but had no choice in this particular situation. Around 3 in the morning my buddy in another tent yells "Get your gun!"....unzipped the tent with said gun, and ran out to a cars headlights pointed in the direction of my tent and about 20 feet away. Had one in the chamber and in the ready position as I approached the truck.....turned out to be a guy that passed us earlier in the day, drunk as a skunk, and driving back to his tent for the night. Told him he scared the shit out of us and that he was about to get shot. He apologized and that was that.

Other than that, I have never felt threatened when hiking on trails or in the backcountry, but I always bring a sidearm with me cause you just never know. What's the saying; "rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." That's my approach - especially if weight isn't an issue - and the sidearm, for me, is weight I'll always bring.

If anything, I probably am the threatening figure as I'm hiking with a loaded pack, sometimes my HPG chest rig and a gun hanging on my belt haha.

chasewild

WKR
I don't carry. Always thought it was absurd. But after having $3k worth of stuff stolen from my bivvy (not base camp) I may start carrying something real small.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is wise to always be prepared. First Aid Kit, a little extra food, quality gear, and some protection. Just tailor it to the area and the perceived risk... Our world is changing and I feel it makes good sense to always be prepared for the unexpected....

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve never understood packing a pistol on my hip with rifle in hand. Pretty sure I know which one I’d use.