Softopper

tdhanses

WKR
Anyone here have one of these, if so thought on it? A hard shell isn’t going to work for my needs and I like the idea of the extra space a topper provides.

2blade

WKR
I have one, love the thing. Had a hard shell years ago but the things don't flex much off road and I ended up dumping it one morning, that was the end of that. You can pack in more stuff cause you can go higher, it won't blow out and they are waterproof. When I don't need it I fold it up and hang it in the garage over the side door. The snap tie down rails are on the truck year round but its no big deal.

any questions let me know

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
How long have you had yours? From what I’ve seen on the web, durability seems to be real good. Do you have the boot thing for when down?

2blade

WKR
I've had it about 10 years. Its a little dirty from dust, almost impossible to get it out, but is still in great shape. I think its pretty much the same material they use for soft top convertible cars, maybe heavier. I only use it a few times a year though but during hunting season its on the truck for 3 or 4 weeks. It folds up and goes into a bag of sorts that cinches everything tight with 3 straps.

bbrown

WKR
Had mine for a couple years now and its perfect for my needs. Keeps stuff contained and out of sight, while not 100% sealed it keeps the dust and moisture out for the most part, goes on and off quickly. When I do sleep in the back it seems like I get less condensation build up than the hard toppers I had on previous trucks. The windows will get a bit "cloudy" with age and scratches and you definitely need to be careful with the windows in cold weather especially when they get older but mine have been good so far.

Mine is on a '12 Tundra crew max and the topper matches the lines pretty well but on some other trucks I have seen it seems like they don't fit the body style as well. Still functional but the gap to the back of the cab along with the height may not match up perfectly.

SofTopper is a local company to me (Boulder, CO) and they were very quick to address some questions I had before I ordered mine and even sent some pictures of one on the same truck as mine so I could see how it fit and looked.

I did end up getting the storage bag and boot but the only time I really use it is when the topper is stored in the garage where it does a good job of containing all the straps and compressing for better storage.

I have one on my 06 tacoma. bought it used off craigslist and its still in great shape.
like most people, it fits my needs perfectly and is SUPER easy for one person to go from having a canopy, to not having a canopy. people's main gripe with them is that you cant lock them like a hard shell..well if someone wants to get into your hard shell for valuables, theyll break the window, then you're out that much more $ to fix that. being able to just fold it down and out of the way is also super handy for me when it comes to picking up something at home depot that wouldn't fit under a normal canopy. fit and finish is amazing, and it seems to be holding up very well.
i love it for hunting seasons, both early and late. keeps the dust off gear early season, and water off late season.
my only complaint is the rear window is cloudy and hard to see out. when im towing my boat, i roll it up so i can see better for launching and retrieving, other than that, i'll definitely own another on my next truck.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks everyone! Yeah security is pretty low on my priority list, gear protection from elements when traveling and a impromptu place to sleep are far ahead of security.

Bob with Softopper has been really responsive in the email dept.

BBO

FNG
Had one on our Tacoma and it was great, it think the dogs liked it even more than we did. The customer service was awesome. Had a small issue when ours came it and it was taken care of right away.

Love mine. So versatile and light. Mine is on my 2018 Honda Ridgeline

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk