FNG needs help in Idaho

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

Names Kirk, me and my buddy are planning an early season archery elk hunt in Idaho this coming year. Plan on leaving here in WV August 29th and not coming back until September 12th. We plan on hiking in, setting up a base camp and hunting from there. I’ve never been elk hunting before and am looking for a few recommendations. One being a pack. I know there is a lot of good info on this forum, but I’m still lost. Mainly because I want a pack that I have enough room in to pack all my camp gear in, but I don’t want something TOO bulky that is gunna be a pain to use as a day pack hauling around the mountains. It will also be needed as a meat hauler (hopefully). I will add that my basics include: sleeping bag, solo tent, sleeping pad, food, few changes of clothes, first aid kit, small cooking set, personals(toothbrush, deodorant, etc) dehydrated meals, trekking poles, extra boots, and some other small stuff I’m sure I’m forgetting. Secondly, what kind of climate am I going to be in? I figure early season will be slightly warm, we plan on being around 7-8000 feet. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Pgohil

WKR
Welcome to the forum! There is definitely an insane amount of information here on rokslide for you to read through. Everyone will have their own opinion about which pack is best. It usually boils down to a Ford versus Chevy thing. You will need something in the 3000 to 5000 cubic inch range.your gear list will need to get thinned as much as possible. Extra clothes and extra boots became a lot of extra weight that is no fun at all to be packing in or out.

There's no way to predict the weather you will encounter. Last year I had 80 degree days and a few 20 degree frosty nights, really threw us for a loop. What part of Idaho will you be hunting? That can have a pretty big impact on the weather you would encounter. Overall the beginning of season shouldn't be as cold.
Hope this help a little.

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah, cold be 6" of snow and 20 degree temps in Sept in Idaho. Likely to have lows around 25-30.

Look at gear lists and pack light. No extra clothes in the pack. Base camp until you learn an area. Those are some of the main things.

Rather than try to pick hairs here with locations. I'd read the survey reports on IDFG's website. Pick a place with a decent population and go for it in terrain you like. Have a ball.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t really decided on a unit yet. I really like the looks of Unit 36, my buddy likes the looks of 10a, so I don’t quite know where we’ll end up

Pezboat

WKR
Sounds like you’re in the exact same boat as me. I too have never been elk hunting, but my buddy and I were thinking of trying out Idaho this year. We’re both from Minnesota, and the task of getting all the gear and finding a spot just seems daunting. I basically just want to see elk in the wild. And actually hear a bugle. I’d consider that a win.

As far as gear I’ve picked up for the hunt so far is a Mystery Ranch Metcalf (5000 cu in) pack. I also grabbed a Pintler bag (2500 cu in) on a killer Cyber Monday deal. I have pretty much zero experience with the Metcalf so far, but it seems like a solid bag. I would have loved to pick up a Kifaru, but got the brand new MR pack for under $400. Seemed too good to pass up. I think it will be fine as a day pack as if sinches down pretty good. The Pintler has been awesome for whitetail hunting.

Maybe we’ll run into each other out in the wild? I’ll be the one walking around with zero idea as to what to do.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Lol it’s alright man. Everyone has to start somewhere. And look into the IDFG website or just google “Idaho elk hunting statistics” and you can find some good info on where to pick from. You can find anything from the amount of hunters in an area to hunting success rate narrowed down to the unit. Good luck!

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Ttt anyone else have any input on what kind of temps I’ll be encountering?

Pgohil

WKR
20-80 most likely.

Hard for us in the easy to grasp the concept of such a large temperature swings, but it definitely happens. And whatever weather channel reports, take it 10-12 degrees less in the mountains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You've gotten solid advice. Like everyone said, be prepared for cold weather and snow. Last year, I spent 21 days in the back country for work and saw temps range from the low teens to the mid 70's. Had a foot of snow the last week of September.

GregB

WKR
Bring snow chains a shovel and an axe for the drive in, leave the extra clothes, deodorant and boots in the truck. I would recommend only doing dehydrated meals for dinner and bringing something else for breakfast and lunch that will save room in the pack. Bring something to filter or purify water.

Fullfan

WKR
Been hunting Idaho since 1983. Most important thing after having the proper gear is Be in shape, let me say that again Be In Great physical Shape. The weather will be what you get so take stuff to keep ya warm. Have learned many lessons over the years. Remember in Sept when you get an elk on the ground good chance it will be warm weather, meat spoils fast.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever pack you end up with, I would leave the boots out of it. Also, most packs designed for elk hunting will pack down very tightly for day hunting use. I use one around 6000 ci (kifaru moutain warrior, have also used exo 5500) and it packs down very nice. I like the kifaru system and customizing available but it comes down to the individual

jetsled

FNG
Go light as possible, definitely ditch the idea of 2 pairs of boots. I'd look at SE Idaho and up north near your 10A spot. You'll never get your hands on two 36 archery tags and the elk numbers are below objective in that zone anyhow. Good luck and go deep.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Be in better shape then you think x2.
Train with the pack you'll carry.
After 50 miles of training with 40# or so in your pack you'll get over the extra items ideas.
Find a set of great boots that work for you, this isn't usually everyone else's best ideas for you.
Buy the best quality gear you can afford as it will last and be an asset while you are hunting.
Quality glass saves boot leather and possibly dicking up an area blazing through it.
Practice shooting your bow with your pack/weighted.
Good luck.

R

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Are you 100% positive elk are in the drainage you are planning on backpacking into? E-scouting or boots on the ground prior? If it is e-scouting only, I would HIGHLY recommend hunting from a truck camp until you locate elk. Backpacking in, depending on how you get in, can be an "all in bet" that is hard to recover from. Especially if you are not coming from elevation.

Nothing in Idaho is flat. Nothing. Try to find multiple places to hunt and order them from best to worst. You do not want to come to your e-scouted trailhead and find 5 other trucks. And if it looks that good on Google Earth, you can bet you will find other people hunting it. Flexibility is key to finding elk. Hunt as many locations as possible until you find elk.

As far as gear, if you have done any backpacking, don't over think it. Plenty of good advice in this thread already. You'll be fine. Be sure to have some way to call for help. Delorme, SPOT .... something. It's a cheap safety net and your loved ones will like to know you can call for help.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, as far as gear goes, so far I’m looking at the following:

King’s camo:

Xkg preacher pant
Xkg transition thermolite (puffy) jacket
Xkg 1/4 zip merino mid weight top
Xkg windstorm waterproof jacket
Xkg transition vest

First lite:

Merino briefs
Midweight merino bottoms
Midweight merino socks

Badlands:

Summit pack

And I just got my crispi Titan gtx’s today

ridgefire

WKR
We typically hunt the last two weeks of September in Central Idaho and have been in weather from the low teens and up into the 80's. Every year it seems like we get a little bit of all weather including snow. Typically it gets down to freezing at night and mid sixties during the day though. Camp is at 6700' or so and hunt from there up to about 9000'

ndbuck09

WKR
Id second or third the 6-7000cu in range for packs, there's hardly any weight penalty for a pack that size over a mid 3000's and it gives you flexibility. My wife has an Exo 3500 and I have a Stone Glacier sky archer (6200 cu in). I can basically do about 12 days in mine and she can get about 5-7..food is really the culprit. You can used the load shelves on packs to pack in with, ie: put your food in a game back and load it on the loadshelf, then smash it down with the main bag over top.

Only take 1 set of clothes, youre going to smell immediately getting into any elk country. You have to throw the scent free program from the midwest out the window as you're just going to be grimy. Tip: wear your base layers in your bag at night so your skin doesn't stick together when you're trying to sleep. Also can buy a small pillow case and use your puffy and other clothes as a pillow. Try really hard to only take things you're actually going to use and not things that "might" be used.

Having a goal to hear a bugle and see some elk is a good goal because knowledge of areas is a huge factor in success, so think of this in terms of multiple years.