Hawaii Axis Hunt....need help

Has anyone had experience with an outfit in Hawaii on an Axis hunt that you would recommend? Looking for some advice on who to go with, experience with them, total price, success, etc. We are looking for a Vacation out of it too. The places I’ve looked at offer no lodging. And only 2 day hunts for $5500! That’s what we charge for a 7 day hunt with lodging, meals etc... wife will be going with so the vacation part of it’s important.
Thanks

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
This is an email I got from Pat fisher @ hawaii safari's back in 2015 so prices are prob off a bit. I never did use him though so I cannot comment him personally.

It was good talking with you and thank you for your inquiry into hunting with us. We offer excellent free range quality 1x1 hunts on over 130,000 acres of private land managed for trophies on five islands and our Kauai and Big Island leases have great boar hunting. Our morning and afternoon boar hunt is $850 and our afternoon meat pig hunt is $650. We have had 99% opportunity on our meat pig hunts and we can quarter and freeze your meat and the best way to get it back is in a 40-50 quart cooler as luggage. Multiple species/island hunts are common with our guests as transportation between the islands is convenient and readily accessible.

Maui
Axis deer, Spanish Goat, Polynesian Boar and Wild Game Bird hunts on 24,000 acres. Maui bucks average 29”-32” and guests normally see 20-30 deer/day or 5-10 pigs/day according to the species pursued.

Maui Axis Deer (2 day hunt) Success 98% $1,950 + trophy fees
$500 trophy fee for bucks up to 27”
$1200 trophy fee for buck over 27”
Maui Axis Mgmt Doe (1 day hunt) Success 99% $950
Polynesian Boar (1 day hunt) Success 95% $850
½ Day Wild Game Bird (2 person minimum) $350/person

Moloka'i
Axis Deer, Blackbuck Antelope, Polynesian Boar and Game bird hunts on 22,000 acres. Guests will see an average of 75 Axis deer, 20 Blackbuck or 4-5 boar per day according to the species pursued. Axis bucks average 29”-33”.

Moloka’i Axis or Blackbuck (2 day hunt) Success 98% $1,950 + trophy fees
$500 trophy fee for bucks up to 27”
$1200 trophy fee for buck over 27”
Moloka’i Mgmt (2 day hunt) Success 99% $1,350 (1 cull buck and 1 doe)
Polynesian Boar (1 day hunt) Success 90% $950
Wild Game Bird (2 person minimum) $550/person Full Day for Black & Grey Francolin, Laceneck and Barred Doves (6 Francolin & 10 Doves per person/day. Limits are normal)

Big Island of Hawai'i
Polynesian Boar, Spanish and Ibex Goat and Black Hawaiian Sheep on 40,000 acres. Guests will normally see 75+ sheep or goats depending on the area hunted. On pig hunts guests will see an average of 15-20 pigs/day.

Black Hawaiian Sheep (1 day hunt rifle) Success 99% $950 + $700 trophy fee.
Spanish and “Ibex” Goats (1 day hunt rifle) Success 99% $950 + $400 trophy
Polynesian Boar (1 day hunt) 100% opportunity $850
Meat Pig Hunt (afternoon) 99% opportunity $650

Lana'i
Mouflon Sheep and Axis Deer hunts on 52,000 acres. On Lana'i it is common to see over 50 deer/day and the average buck harvested is in the 29"-31" range. Mouflon rams taken average 25”-28" and on average guests will see 20-30 sheep/day.

Mouflon Sheep (2 day hunt) Success 90% $3,450 + $500 trophy fee rams with 25"+ horns.
Axis/Mouflon Combo (3 day hunt) Success 98% rifle $5,500 + $500 trophy fee for bucks with 27"+ racks.
Management Axis Hunt (2 day hunt) 2 person minimum $1,350 per person 1 cull buck and 1 doe per person

Kaua'i
Polynesian Boar and Wild game bird hunting on 35,000 acres.

Polynesian Boar (1 day hunt) Success 95% $850 Success 95% rifle
Wild game bird (2 person minimum) $550/person Blue and Ringneck Pheasant (3 Pheasant & 10 Doves per person/day Limits are normal)

All of our Big Game hunts are offered year round however the best months for Axis Deer are April-Sept as they are hard antlered in Hawaii during this time. Bird hunting is offered Nov-Jan.

To acquire a Hawaii Hunting License: 1) Print, complete and return by mail this Letter of Exemption form https://hunting.ehawaii.gov/hunting/LetterExempt.pdf to the Hawaii DLNR office (you will need your Hunter Safety Card to complete the form) 2)Once you receive the an Exemption number back (approx. 2 weeks) you can then go to Purchase a Hunting License to purchase a Non-Resident Hawaii Hunting License. Please remember to print out and bring your license with you on your trip. No tags are needed. We include caping and local taxidermy drop off.

Depending on the island you are visiting there are several options for lodging. We can pass on a discount at the following resorts: On Maui, Home is located oceanfront on the South Shore, on the Big Island we recommend the Marriott Courtyard located in Kailua-Kona Kona Hotels on the Big Island | Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. We offer pick-up service from Kona accommodations and do recommend renting your own car. We have a large selection of rifles which you are welcome to use ($50/hunt w/ ammo). If you choose to bring your own weapon you are required to register it with the local Police department. We look forward to hearing from you and please feel free to email or call with further questions and availability.

Mahalo,

Patrick C. Fisher
Wildlife Biologist
Hawaii Safaris & Fisher Outfitters
#808-640-0755

Maui Hunting Safari, Hunt Hawaii ~ Rifle, Bow and Shotgun hunting ~ Goats, Pigs, Boars, Axis Deer is the big outfit on maui. renting a condo (honokowai, kihei, kahana areas all good; look on trip advisor for specific reviews of condos) and hunting with them for a couple days would probably be the most cost effective. only maui lanai and molokai have deer and other islands get expensive when incorporating logistics like inter island flights, lodging and transportation. hunts are so short bc the private lands are loaded with game and its not much of a challenge especially with a rifle. keep in mind most of the bucks drop their horns nov-feb. flights and lodging are most expensive when kids are out of school (summer/spring break). may and sept are shoulder season and best bet for deals on flights/lodging. the rut is end of may through august. prices have gone up as guys like joe rogan and john dudley hype up these hunts, especially on lanai its now thousands a day to hunt in their private guided areas.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I used Patrick Fisher for my archery Vancouver bull and Poly hog hunt on the big Island. I would eagerly use him again. He is top notch. You get what you pay for.

gwl79902

WKR
If you listen to podcast there is one called HI country. Guy in hawaii and his latest one is about this, I just started to listen to it

You can diy on lanai through the company. Best bet is stay Maui and take ferry over

I'm heading over in February.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Alot of guided hunts are on private land and the guides that are legit need to be licensed by the state which is a pain in the butt so most are DIY guys that may have or know of access to private land that may or may not be fully legit. Most of it is DIY.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Is there public land that you can do DIY hunts on for axis deer, or private that lets you hunt for a fee?
Each island is different. I’ll speak lanai only.

Public by draw starting in February for axis (1 Nov application deadline I believe this year). You can hunt private (massive chunks of land) for $400 a day rifle for out of state. $150 a year for archery. Happy to provide more details as needed.

The company on Lanai is going to be your best bet if you don’t want to pay crazy daily fees. Maui has plenty axis deer but they are all on old sugar ground or ranch land upcountry. The best value outfitter I’ve seen on Maui is Arrow One Ranch. Jeff is a good guy and produces some monsters on his ranch....but you still have to pay to play.