First Western Hunt, What species?

JParisi48

FNG
Hi everyone, new to the forum first post. Been reading a while and finally decided to join. My friend and I are planning to do a hunt out west in 2019. We have only ever hunted NH and both of us are fairly new to hunting getting our first whitetails this year. We can’t decide on WHAT to hunt. Really looking for the experience and to fill our freezers. We prefer not to go with a guide or outfitter, we’d like a DIY type hunt. Backpack/camp. Any recommendations on what to hunt for people newer to the scene? We’re mid 20’s in good shape and don’t mind suffering a little. We can hunt Whitetail back home so aside from that we’re open to ideas. Like I said, mainly for the experience and to fill our freezers!

Never hunted antelope, but I hear that’s a good first western style hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I would say mule deer and antelope in NE Wyoming. I haven’t been there in awhile, not sure of the draw situation. Pretty fun hunt, obviously lots of research, mapping, calling biologists.

davsco

WKR
doesn't it HAVE to be elk?? you got deer back home. at least that was what i did on my first western hunt back in october.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Personally I would do antelope. You'll see tons of game and have a great hunt. In addition, you'll get a feel for how big the country really is.

If you want to mix in mule deer you should be able to draw that tag too. Central or eastern Wy.

My first hunt was a mountain hunt east of Yellowstone. It was grizzly country. We had a good time, but we're very ill prepared. Didnt abide by bear safety and weren't ready for the mountains. I ended up taking a decent 4 pt, but it was pure luck. Glad I did that trip, but man it could have ended badly...

Mt Al

WKR
Antelope! You'll see lots of game, great scenery, good "get your feet wet", logistically easier. My 2 cents.

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Pronghorn sounds great. I have to talk to my buddy, but are there any options for a Peonghorn and Mule deer hunt? Either OTC or super high draw odds? I’d like to be able to maybe scout for Elk on the way back for a future hunt. Just to get familiar with a few areas and the terrain etc. We’d be driving about 35 hours to get to WY.

Bobbyboe

WKR
There are no OTC hunts in Wyoming. That being said, there are many hunts that you can draw with zero points. You should be able to do a combo hunt in Central or eastern Wyoming.

Check out Toprut for draw odds.
Wyoming Antelope Hunting, Draw Odds Results and Harvest Data - Toprut.com

In my opinion you should really just concentrate on one species. Buy a antelope buck tag and a few doe tags. It'll be a blast and you'll bring home some fantastic meat. If you see mule deer take a mental note and go after them next year.

If You don’t mind terribly, I’m going to be the Slightly Debbie Downer.

First, welcome to the hunting culture! You have embarked upon a wonderful pastime/obsession and kudos to you and your buddy for getting your feet wet! I live in SC and grew up hunting in AL. I am obsessive and hunt as much as I can for deer, ducks, and turkeys. My father allowed me to start shooting at animals at the age of 9 and I’ve never stopped.

That being said, if you and you’re buddy are new hunters, I would highly suggest another season or two of whitetail hunting prior to making the trek out west for similar or bigger sized game. I am by no means questioning your abilities or decision making. However, there are numerous possibilities to consider when hunting out west that you may not have experienced in your short time hunting.

I just went on my 1st Elk hunt and 1st ever western hunt this year and was extremely lucky given the situation. Extremely tough hunting, tough weather conditions, and I am used to putting myself through Hell for a 10% chance. Though I don’t know you from Adam, I’d like for you to have success (relative to each individuals’ goals) in order for you to remain a dedicated and obsessive hunter.

My suggestion would be to kill a few more deer. Travel to other Eastern/Southern states with longer seasons and bigger bag limits. Try ducks and turkeys. Western guys don’t truly understand ( just an opinion, like this post) how difficult it can be to kill a mature buck or turkey in heavily pressured Eastern woods, especially on public land.

That’s my 2 cents. I wish you the beat luck! Oh yeah, I’m only 31 so don’t think I’m really old timer-ing you. Just killed a few things

It would be best to get your feet wet with a pronghorn hunt. Not all that difficult. People from your neck of the woods do it all the time.

ClearCreek

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
I appreciate your honesty, we’ve been hunting for a few years, but have only begun to be successful. We’ve got quite a bit of hiking and camping experience especially in less than ideal weather. We’ve grow up around firearms and archery our whole lives and know we’d be fine out there, just a matter of being able to fill a tag or two. Success rate for NH is about 10% we both also turkey hunt, fish etc. So while we just got our first deer (and black bear), it’s been a long time coming lol Like I said we’d also be doing it for the experience. Obviously the main goal would be to fill our tags, but even if we don’t its not the end of the world and I’m sure we will still have fun.

Btaylor

WKR
While I understand the advice to do a Pronghorn hunt, I am going to go a different route and say start planning an elk hunt. I would say early season, camp at a trailhead with the option to backpack in once you are there and get a feel for the country. The primary reason for saying this is because I went to CO for mule deer a couple times in college and didnt particularly like the area or the hunting, it didnt hook me. Didnt go back out west until 3 years ago for elk. Killed my first elk this year a couple days before my 50th birthday. I have been fortunate to be able to hunt deer, turkey and ducks in a bunch of different places but really regret all the years missed chasing elk that could have been if I had only known. I let a couple of mule deer hunts in areas I didnt care for influence my decisions about hunting out west. So I would say go chase elk and if it hooks you, great, you have all the years in your physical prime to learn and chase them. If not you can always go go after mule deer or pronghorn or other critters latter.

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah that’s what I tell everybody that is growing up or wants to start hunting that lives in Colorado, you need to go back east and learn how to hunt before you venture out and go elk hunting.......

Hunting is hunting, yeah there’s major differences in east vs west but you’re not going to get anymore prepared by not going hunting out west. If you want to go hunt out west go for it, it is a steep learning curve but it’ll be fun most likely.

What to hunt kind of depends on what goals you have and how long you can take off from home. If you want to have a really fun hunt, get some meat for the freezer antelope is the way to go, high likelyhood you’d get it done in a couple days, but driving 80 hours for 20 hours of hunting may not seem like the best use of your time,

Elk hunting is what everybody and there mom wants to do, because it is fun but punishing, but you’ll need to understand that the odds of filling a tag are super slim, especially for your first time out west mostly because it is super overwhelming the first trip. Be prepared not to see anything and to feel completely beaten down.

If you had 2 weeks you could dedicate I would do antelope and elk. You get your feet wet and have a blast with antelope and then hunt some elk and get a little experience and learn some things. Or go hunt elk and feel defeated and get a confidence booster on the way home chasing antelope and have some good meat for the freezer when you get home!

If You don’t mind terribly, I’m going to be the Slightly Debbie Downer.

First, welcome to the hunting culture! You have embarked upon a wonderful pastime/obsession and kudos to you and your buddy for getting your feet wet! I live in SC and grew up hunting in AL. I am obsessive and hunt as much as I can for deer, ducks, and turkeys. My father allowed me to start shooting at animals at the age of 9 and I’ve never stopped.

That being said, if you and you’re buddy are new hunters, I would highly suggest another season or two of whitetail hunting prior to making the trek out west for similar or bigger sized game. I am by no means questioning your abilities or decision making. However, there are numerous possibilities to consider when hunting out west that you may not have experienced in your short time hunting.

I just went on my 1st Elk hunt and 1st ever western hunt this year and was extremely lucky given the situation. Extremely tough hunting, tough weather conditions, and I am used to putting myself through Hell for a 10% chance. Though I don’t know you from Adam, I’d like for you to have success (relative to each individuals’ goals) in order for you to remain a dedicated and obsessive hunter.

My suggestion would be to kill a few more deer. Travel to other Eastern/Southern states with longer seasons and bigger bag limits. Try ducks and turkeys. Western guys don’t truly understand ( just an opinion, like this post) how difficult it can be to kill a mature buck or turkey in heavily pressured Eastern woods, especially on public land.

That’s my 2 cents. I wish you the beat luck! Oh yeah, I’m only 31 so don’t think I’m really old timer-ing you. Just killed a few things

Mt Al

WKR
We’ve got quite a bit of hiking and camping experience especially in less than ideal weather. We’ve grow up around firearms and archery our whole lives and know we’d be fine out there, just a matter of being able to fill a tag or two...... Obviously the main goal would be to fill our tags, but even if we don’t its not the end of the world and I’m sure we will still have fun.

You already win with that attitude! Getting reservations for a flea bag hotel, or a decent hotel, an hour or so from where you're hunting right after you draw is key in some towns.

Only you can choose, but given what you've written, IMHO per posts above, I'd focus on antelope with an OTC deer tag, plus bird hunting if you get tags filled early....then some prairie dogs for good measure. Antelope is a blast, best wild game meat, easy to pack out, awesome scenery, logistically much easier, much high success rate, lower chance of horrid weather vs. a strictly mountain hunt.

You WILL have a blast and a great experience to boot.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
If filling the freezer is the number 1 priority definitely do an antelope hunt. The success rate is super high. If you are looking for an awesome experience go to Colorado elk hunting. Chances are slim on killing something but the experience and the hiking is great.