First Western Hunt, What species?

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
To throw in my two cents I'd say mule deer. Depending on the experience you are looking for you can choose either mountain or desert hunts. If you do get an deer down it will not be a huge undertaking between the two of you and will give you a taste of what getting an animal out of some big country really entails.

I also dont think you need to put it off and hunt back east for any amount of time. For the most part it is way different and the only way to get started is just to do it. No matter what more experience is going to help but no reason you can't gain that experience out west. Just have realistic expectations and be safe. I do not think you will regret going on any hunt.

Yeah that’s what I tell everybody that is growing up or wants to start hunting that lives in Colorado, you need to go back east and learn how to hunt before you venture out and go elk hunting.......

Hunting is hunting, yeah there’s major differences in east vs west but you’re not going to get anymore prepared by not going hunting out west. If you want to go hunt out west go for it, it is a steep learning curve but it’ll be fun most likely.

What to hunt kind of depends on what goals you have and how long you can take off from home. If you want to have a really fun hunt, get some meat for the freezer antelope is the way to go, high likelyhood you’d get it done in a couple days, but driving 80 hours for 20 hours of hunting may not seem like the best use of your time,

Elk hunting is what everybody and there mom wants to do, because it is fun but punishing, but you’ll need to understand that the odds of filling a tag are super slim, especially for your first time out west mostly because it is super overwhelming the first trip. Be prepared not to see anything and to feel completely beaten down.

If you had 2 weeks you could dedicate I would do antelope and elk. You get your feet wet and have a blast with antelope and then hunt some elk and get a little experience and learn some things. Or go hunt elk and feel defeated and get a confidence booster on the way home chasing antelope and have some good meat for the freezer when you get home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP said he was from NH. I think antelope sounds like a good idea for OP.

My concern was minimal harvest experience, but ya gotta get out and get it done to gain experience. I’d prefer to get that at home before making a big trip but that’s my 2 cents.

Get out and get it done OP! Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I see many are suggesting antelope. I love antelop hunting as it's fun, antelope are curious so they often walk towards me, but in terms of filling the freezer the yield is so much smaller than a mule deer, and vastly less than elk. I'd go for a cow elk. A bit harder and higher elevation, but yield is great and such a rewarding hunt. Try to plan 2 full weeks to learn terrain, then stalk.

bmhall4

FNG
A couple of people have already mentioned antelope as a good species for first timers hunting the west. I would have to agree with them. I'm from the east coast and decided to do a solo last minute antelope hunt to western South Dakota. I went with an outfitter and the tag was fairly easy to get. I would highly recommend going with an outfitter or a buddy that's done it before for your first trip to get a feel for things and help shorten the learning curve. Good Luck.

wytx

WKR
If budget is an issue on the license cost , apply for max number of doe antelope tags and some doe deer tags in an adjacent area. You may be able to pick up some leftover tags later to go with them.Since all doe tags are a random draw you could apply for areas with great access and success. Seasons may also lend themselves to some grouse hunting while on your trip.
Cow elk tags are also another thought, they too are random draw( Reduced price cow/calf tags).
Fall spawning trout are also a given on any hunt.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend doing the most physically demanding hunts while you are still young. Not that you can't do those hunts when you are older it's just easier on you when you're younger. I would do any of the mountain hunts you are interested in...elk,high country mule deer or even a spot and stalk bear hunt. Pronghorn or low country deer would still be fairly easy on the body when you're older.

ljalberta

WKR
I understand the pronghorn suggestions, but I'd be doing elk (with a deer tag in my pocket) if it were me! Pronghorn are neat, but they just don't hold the same allure to me that elk do - plus you can't beat the taste of elk IMO.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
I live in NH myself. The drive seems like it is prohibitive, depending on your work/pto situation. My buddies are looking 2020 and keep going back and forth about driving vs flying. They both have obvious pros and cons. Driving becomes a 10-14 day trip, but allows for easier transport of gear and bringing your animal meat home if you get lucky. Flying gets you there and home much easier, but makes the above more difficult. I’m curious to see where you take this.

Jason

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
I’ll keep you posted if you send me a PM Jason. We’re definitely doing it, my schedule is flexible so I’m up for driving. Have to talk to my buddy more this weekend. We first want to pick a species and go from there. Driving will be anywhere from 30-40 hours non stop which sucks, but it could be worse...

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
My choice is definitely elk.

I’ll keep you posted if you send me a PM Jason. We’re definitely doing it, my schedule is flexible so I’m up for driving. Have to talk to my buddy more this weekend. We first want to pick a species and go from there. Driving will be anywhere from 30-40 hours non stop which sucks, but it could be worse...

smartweed

FNG
No matter what you choose, and I would vote for elk, make sure you go. The greatest mistake of my life was waiting as long as I did to go. When I was your age I always wanted to go but never put it together. Once in my 40s I decided I had to go and finally did, but now I'm 20 years behind you in the game when you reach my age. Within 15 minutes of getting out of the truck out west, I said to my buddy that I will never miss a year out west until I cannot physically do it. And I haven't missed since. But still, I missed those 20 years when I had a lot more "go" than I do now. So go and see what you see, learn what you learn, and make sure you go back the next year no matter what too. Do not let anyone talk you out of going.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
No matter what you choose, and I would vote for elk, make sure you go. The greatest mistake of my life was waiting as long as I did to go. When I was your age I always wanted to go but never put it together. Once in my 40s I decided I had to go and finally did, but now I'm 20 years behind you in the game when you reach my age. Within 15 minutes of getting out of the truck out west, I said to my buddy that I will never miss a year out west until I cannot physically do it. And I haven't missed since. But still, I missed those 20 years when I had a lot more "go" than I do now. So go and see what you see, learn what you learn, and make sure you go back the next year no matter what too. Do not let anyone talk you out of going.

THIS, just done my first western hunt, turned 41 while out there, wish i had done many alot sooner!!! Go for it no matter what species, you will love it

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
If your serious about wanting to fill a freezer for meat, then I would do a antelope hunt and plan some fishing while your out here. Not only are both found on public lands, there are good number of both if you do a bit of research on where to go. Check out the success stats for deer, and especially elk, very low, even lower for a diy NR hunter. Usually the same people get their game every year, and then there are that small amount who basically luck out from year to year. Personally, I dislike seeing little 3 and 4 point mulies piled in the back of pu's like it is something special. It takes a few trips apparently out west to figure out what is worth shooting and what is worth passing and shooting a doe.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I suggest on just going for whatever trips your trigger. When you dream about hunting out west, what animal are you chasing? What kind of country are you in? Go for that, whatever it is.

I'm not in the same boat as a lot of the others here about an antelope preparing you for other western hunts as I feel like antelope hunting is different than elk and deer. Antelope hunts are a quick way to experience success out west, but if your real goal is to chase elk or mule deer then I don't think after an antelope hunt you would go home any closer to that goal than when you came out. Life is too short to chase animals that don't interest you just to get prepared for a future hunt. If antelope does interest you, then get out here and chase antelope! But if they don't interest you, don't feel like you have to chase them to prepare you for the other animals.

I'd suggest an elk hunt personally because that would be the largest meat return on your investment, but I also can't imagine ever missing a hunting season without chasing mule deer, so take that for what its worth. Good luck and have fun!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
The antelope ideas seem like a good one at first, but most of the easy to draw or leftover tags available are going to be units heavy in private land and you'll be using your gps to watch boundaries. Not always the 'western' hunt experience people are looking for. Can be a good way to kill a antelope buck and a couple of does though.

I'd do some research into a Colorado elk hunt. There's lots of over the counter opportunities and yeah, that generally means more people but with a little research and some discreet networking you'll likely find a positive experience. Maybe do that and throw in a leftover Wyoming antelope tag on the way home.

Then if you're serious about hunting out West on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend investigating applying for tags in multiple states and trying to draw tags. States like New Mexico are totally random and no bonus/preference points to worry about while others like Wyoming have points where they're not too expensive and a couple elk or antelope points will go a long ways to improving your harvest odds and overall experience.

Like mentioned a few times - just make sure you go! The first trip has a high likelihood of not turning out exactly like you'll envision, but you'll learn some value lessons for the next trip.

Oregon

WKR
Go to Wyoming F&G website. Click hunt planner.
Check draw odds on mule deer hunts that have a lot of green/yellow colors in unit. Find one that draws with no points
Double check that there is no asterisk next to hunt #(public land hard to access)
Apply.
Draw.
Research like crazy.
Go.
Hunt.
Kill.
Most important is you officially popped your cherry. Once popped, it gets easier every time.