Shed hunting long weekend with wife and kid, need ideas

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for suggestions on a vacation destination. My wife wants to go on a long weekend hiking and shed hunting. We are coming from Wisconsin and flying. Looking for somewhere that winter range is close to airports with the ability to do some fun hiking and possibly find a shed or two, she really wants an elk shed. Child will be two years old and riding in a backpack. Any ideas and timeframe would be greatly appreciated. I know some places have designated shed seasons, but have not looked into it too much yet, she just gave me this idea yesterday. Thanks for any input.

wytx

WKR
Is this an April /May trip? We'll have snow til then at least and maybe into June the way winter is looking. Careful, as some areas do not open for shed hunting til June in Wyoming.

YBPS

WKR
That's a tough one.... Just plan a hike and hope you trip over a shed. Shed spots are just as secret as hunting spots to most... Bring a spotting scope and glass....

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I assumed that shed spots may be held tightly. I am just looking for a state and city or something to start looking into, not park at this trail head and go here type info. If a city is too much info, I apologize. As far as the dates, flexible at this point. Feel free to PM me if its something you don't want on message boards.

If a city is too much info, I apologize.

A city is too much info IMO. Perhaps the best place to start would be to do some research on winter range for elk. Lots of info out there and some states post winter ranges on their website. Find some elk winter range close to a city with a major airport and and hit the hills.

Research deer and elk winter range and you'll find some spots. I'd call some biologists. Find a vacation spot you're excited about because sheds are never a guarantee. Deer is more January-February and elk is more March-April. Later is better for the animals and worse for the shed hunting.

wyosteve

WKR
My suggestion would be to fly into Jackson Hole, Wyo. Home of the Nat'l Elk Refuge. Although you can't shed hunt on the refuge, the surrounding mtns. are accessible within about a 50 mile radius. I know there's an 'open season' for shed hunting, but you'll have to check Wyo. Game and Fish website to see when that is. Mid-May to early June would be the best time frame since some snow should be melted by then.