Fillet Knife for Meat Processing

treillw

WKR
I find that my fillet knife works the best for processing elk. It's a huge help in removing tendons and silverskin. I need to pick another one or two up. What would you suggest?

Update: Skip to post 52 to see which knife I went with and how I like it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
18c3eb2a1a1883cd4859e7608c1c82c1.jpg

I’ve been in the butchering and meat industry since I was old enough to turn the grinder on and off for dad stuffing sausages. This is the only knife I carry in the field or use in the butcher shop. I don’t know a butcher who uses a different one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knives of alaska steelheader. Not the best steel in the world (hard!), but with routine maintenance and a good diamond stone its great. Good shape for filleting and deboning work on big game. Slightly on the stiffer side for small fish

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I can second this knife as well,if you're after a true deboning knife. Also easy on the budget! Softer spine than the steelheader, its going to do the finesse work better
18c3eb2a1a1883cd4859e7608c1c82c1.jpg

I’ve been in the butchering and meat industry since I was old enough to turn the grinder on and off for dad stuffing sausages. This is the only knife I carry in the field or use in the butcher shop. I don’t know a butcher who uses a different one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I use a Wusthof Pro flexible boning knife. Dont let the name scare you, they're about $25-30. It has a really good oversize, rubberized handle that doesnt slip when Im butchering. They also make a fillet knife in the same series but I prefer the boning knife because of the deeper belly.

EastMT

WKR
I made some leather sheaths for carrying in the field.

I use the knife for breaking down the middle of the brisket and splitting the pelvis. They are tough and last years. A good victorinox sharpening steel is also a good idea, light, slow strokes. Don’t clang it around like you are a pirate parrying blades lol.

Roy68

WKR
Victorinox or Mundial. I own 6 Mundial knives for processing 3 fillet and 3 boning. They are 10 years old now and see 8-10 big game animals a year add in a yearly hog and lots fish. Can’t go wrong with either

CorbLand

WKR
I use one built by MORA but I cant find it online anymore. Its worked great for the 3 years I have used it.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for the Victorinox, I received one with a wood handle as a gift this year and have been very very happy with it.

EastMT

WKR
f38b0386bb323d1ed0e111433de014b8.jpg

Also for removing skulls from the hide, this thing is the cats meow. Taking the cartilage out of the ear is so easy it’s not funny. About .5 oz, I pack one every hunt so I can reduce weight on the way out with the hide.

I use a rada fillet knife. They're about the same price as the victorinox. Not sure if it's any better or worse, but I hardly pick up a different knife after I have the skin off. Fillet knife of the only way to go for me.

I upgraded my knives this year from a cheaper Weston set. After processing 4 deer, I can say I still like the replaceable blades for skinning. I used a small paring knife, a cleaver and a bone saw here and there. My overwhelming favorite was the 6 inch boning knife. I kept finding that in my hand throughout the processing. I have both wushtoff and victorinox. Could not say I like one more than the other. I think the victoronix costs less.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for victorinox boning knife. I use the 8” curved for all butchering, done piles of elk with nothing else. Sharpened at a fillet blade angle. Never thought about carrying the 6” out in the field but that’s certainly on my mind now.

Wirrex

FNG
Victorinox 6” straight boning knife is my favorite. It’s awesome. I made a sheath for mine so that I have no issues throwing it in my pack.

bca7d481699fbb6379e62f750d33d8b9.jpg

6464eee8890addcb472677de7ff5a1e9.jpg