Fillet Knife for Meat Processing

In addition to the boning knife I used the breaking knife a good bit too. I wouldn’t say it is essential. If I were making a “set” it would be

Havalon for skinning and gutting.
1 8-10 inch breaking knife
2-3 boning knives
Bone saw

Dinger

WKR
Whenever I'm half serious about a meat run, and not on a proper back pack hunt I carry a 5" boning knife. I love knives and have all manner of them, but nothing IMO is a versitle or fit for purpose as a 5" boner for meat missions.

I have a few DIY sheaths made out of 1" plastic farm pipe that have served me well for years. The clip on the top of the sheath is particulary handy to afix the knife to your hip without mucking around once something hits the deck.

Given that its not a heavy weight I really should carry it all the time. It took a bit of digging but I found a couple of pictures.

20171022_204819-X3.jpg

20180529_181230%20%281%29-X3.jpg

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What exactly is a "boning" knife used for? Deboning? All my meat is deboned before it moves 20 yards. The fillet knife I use now is 9" long. I feel like the 6" blade might be a little short for "filleting" the silver skin off an elk backstrap, or some bigger chunks of meat.

jmez

WKR
I prefer a boning knife over a fillet knife as it isn't as flimsy. The added blade stiffness works better for me on meat than a true fillet knife.

I use a Grohmann Canadian belt knife in the field to take the meat off. I use a boning knife for all the rest of the processing.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
One of my current likes is the Dexter Russel V-lo 8” fillet knife for cleaning up meat.
I like the Vickey 6” boning for boning and breaking down the muscle groups.
I use a Dexter 10” breaking knife for cutting steaks out of the larger muscles.
I also have a 6” fillet knife I use a lot for clean up work.

I could do it all with one blade but why.

Dinger

WKR
What exactly is a "boning" knife used for? Deboning? All my meat is deboned before it moves 20 yards. The fillet knife I use now is 9" long. I feel like the 6" blade might be a little short for "filleting" the silver skin off an elk backstrap, or some bigger chunks of meat.

Between table meat and dog meat I would say I'm well into the hundreds for animals (sheep, goats, deer & roo's) butchered with a boning knife. .....I'm happy to skin, cape, gut, break down, bone out and prep anything with the 5"er. It's what you get used to I suppose, thats not to say whatever current FOTM purchase I've made or my Havalon, Buck's, Tyto, Kestrels, Eaglehawk, Mora's, Skeletool, Kiwi and various other forgottern folders & fixed blades wouldn't be better suited at some point in the whole process from hill to stomach.

Looks good for boning ,but everyday/hunt ,carry kind of bulky.
It's always in the backpack or truck until something hits the ground....only on the hip for a short while after the shot.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I don’t think you can possibly get a better processing knife than a Victorinox 6” or 8” boning knife. Flexible blade, scary sharp and a couple passes on a butcher steel brings it right back. They are pretty cheap too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I do something a bit different, I use an electric fish fillet knife for removing silver skin and skimming off the crust on my game meat. This works better with less waste than any other way I've tried.

I use a Wusthof Pro flexible boning knife. Dont let the name scare you, they're about $25-30. It has a really good oversize, rubberized handle that doesnt slip when Im butchering. They also make a fillet knife in the same series but I prefer the boning knife because of the deeper belly.
I have wusthof kitchen knives im very happy with. Wife keeps tossing them in the sink tho but even then they hold an edge pretty well.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Similar. Boning knife is less flexible. They can be had up 12 inches. 6-8 seems to be popular. <insert dick joke here>

EastMT

WKR
Another vote for the Victorinox, I received one with a wood handle as a gift this year and have been very very happy with it.

The wood handle Vickie’s are usually very flexible and really nice for processing, great for braking joints, between ribs etc. The black handles are a bit stiffer and I like them better for in the field so I can break the brisket and pelvis without carrying extra equip.

I used the flexible wooden one in a custom beef shop, cut up 5-6 beef a day 5 days a week. Used the same one for several years, still have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I do something a bit different, I use an electric fish fillet knife for removing silver skin and skimming off the crust on my game meat. This works better with less waste than any other way I've tried.

Can't believe I've never thought to try that....

Will be shooting a deer with the bow yet this year, so I will give her a try.

I have a couple of Dexter Russells. They are inexpensive, and hold an edge well. I've done all sorts of the makeshift sheaths for them too, but mainly to protect my edge when they get tossed into that drawer. You know the one, with the potato masher and ice cream scoop and stuff.

Azone

WKR
If I had to choose one to do it all with it would be a 6 inch Victorinox fillet knife. A big razor sharp breaking knife is also handy to have when steaking out or breaking up big chunks of meat for the grind pile. But the 6 inch does 90 percent of the work on my table any more, and they do a lot better job of taking out a back strap than most blades.

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
Well, i would suggest you Hunter Bowie Knife. I have used this knife for quite a lot of time and i am satisfied with its functionality. The blade is very sharp and the overall durability has impressed me. Though you can visit other online stores such as amazon or e bay for quality knives.

robtattoo

WKR
Vote number 85 here for the Vicky curved boning knife. Mine rarely goes to the field with me, but I have 4 in my butchering set. I use them for 99% of my meat prep.