Bloody Pack

When I packed out my first buck (youngish blacktail), I got a lot of blood on my Exo 3500 and it smelled pretty bad, as expected. I eventually cleaned it by soaking in baking soda and water and that worked fine. This year, when packing out a fairly old Roosevelt cow elk, the pack got super bloody. I've since let it dry and have used the pack a few times without cleaning it and it really doesn't smell bad with all that dried blood on it. Have you guys found a lot of variability in the stench of blood from different animals? Are elk less smelly than deer, or is it totally random? Maybe I'm just accustomed to the smell now. I'll still probably clean it at some point.

ckleeves

WKR
I don’t really think blood by its self smells any different from different critters, I think it’s usually the conditions your in. If it’s wet and the pack doesn’t dry quickly and is left damp at all they get stinky quick. If conditions are dry and you dry the blood out quick there usually isn’t much smell at all.

Now some bears can have a powerful odor to them. Same with mountain lions and coyotes, but we’re talking pelts/hair not just blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
When I get back from hunt I spray the blood areas generously with hydrogen peroxide. Let sit for a couple minutes and then hand wash. Depending on the amount of blood/smell I have had to repeat process a couple times.

EastMT

WKR
I put one away after an old rutty caribou pack out. Left it for the winter. By spring it was really bad. Put a gallon of vinegar in a big Rubbermaid container and filled with water. Sat a brick on top and let it sit for a couple days. Rinse, soak in fresh water, smells just fine now.

ElkNut1

WKR
If I have fresh blood on pack I'll wipe off with a wet paper towel & that's about it. Outside of pack generally has soaked in blood but no big deal. My Exo pack is 4 years old with lots of elk quarters through it, I don't notice any real smell from it or anyother pack I've owned.

ElkNut/Paul

CorbLand

WKR
Hydrogen peroxide for me. Pack, clothes and game bags. Then I take them to a car wash and pressure wash them. Cleans them up pretty good.

Anyone have an idea of how to get thermals from smelling like mcasshole? Mine got covered in sweat and elk blood this year, they stink.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far the only smell I really had to try to get out of my pack was from a wolf. Without question, that was the worst smelling animal I've ever come across.

Bears haven't really stunk my pack up that bad but I had to throw away a couple game bags from a bear three years ago. I tried everything and could not get the smell out of them.

Moose/caribou/sheep/goat haven't been bad smelling, each have their own unique scent for sure.

I don't believe in washing my packs, I don't want to wash the good luck away. Plus its easier to find if I set it down and can't find it. I can always find it by smell. Smelliest pack this side of Hell.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never gotten my pack and stopped getting my turkey vest bloody. I put it in a black trash bag. I've never had an issue doing this.

cnelk

WKR
I unload my pack, fill the bath tub with hot water and some gentle soap and and let it soak. Rinse and hang up