Applying for tags with buddy?

JParisi48

FNG
This may be a stupid question or maybe also depend on state, but I can’t find the answer...I have never applied for a drawing anywhere before but would like to start now in order to secure future hunts. If I wanted to hunt with a partner, would we both have to apply and build points in the same areas, or are you allowed to bring a partner if you draw a tag? For example. In NH there is a Moose lottery and if you draw you can have a sub permittee and either of you can hunt. Is it species dependent, state dependent etc?

In Colorado you can apply as a group, drawing based on the lowest number of points any one person in the group has, but you each need to draw a tag if you each want a chance to pull the trigger.

davsco

WKR
iirc, from trying to draw in nm and co earlier this year, they allow groups, but for instance, if you have a group of two and there is only one spot left, neither of you get it.

elkduds

WKR
In CO points are specific to species, not units or areas. Each year you don't draw your 1st choice license, you accumulate a point. On group apps, the group has the # of points that the lowest point member of the group has, meaning no point averaging.

In WY, I think they average the points of all group members on the app.

OP
J

JParisi48

FNG
Ok so it seems you’d both have to draw a tag in order to pull the trigger. Are you allowed to go with someone to assist in the hunt outside of pulling the trigger?

jmez

WKR
Yes, you are allowed to go along and assist. You just can't carry a firearm or bow if you don't have a tag.

wytx

WKR
Lots of things to hunt while helping out so bring a grouse or squirrel gun and have fun, get the small game and game bird license first.

Jacack

WKR
Lots of things to hunt while helping out so bring a grouse or squirrel gun and have fun, get the small game and game bird license first.

I drew that nh moose tag a few years back and couldn't believe you could have another person with you carrying a weapon who could also shoot off your tag. It's kind of odd as I saw plenty of people mostly women who where the tag holder but husband/ boyfriend ect killed the animal.
Just gives someone the reason to have their spouse or friend who doesn't actually hunt put in and draw a tag for them.

I am sure there are plenty of women that draw and hunted but I am sure there are others that just see it as a way to up your odds.

Guess if the fish and game doesn't mind its no big deal