elk hunting trailers

Retterath

WKR
Im curious how u guys pack up all your gear when you are heading out for a long elk trip. Last year i loaded 4 wheeler in back of truck and had a big game carrier attached to receiver hitch. This year i think I'm gonna try something different since all the stuff i had in the back of truck with wheeler and on the game carrier was caked full of mud when i got to my destination. I was planning on trying to get everything in the back of my truck under cover and put wheeler on a trailer. How do u guys do it? Do any of you use a enclosed trailer to keep everything dry. I hunt out of a wall tent as base camp. I don't use a camper at all. What are your thoughts and post any pics if you have any.

My buddies trailer becomes our park bench/cooking station. Works pretty good.

I pack pretty light. Plenty of room in my pickup. But I'm only a couple of hours from elk camp. Not real sure what I'll do this year though as I'll be heading straight from my solo backcountry mule deer hunt to elk camp and I don't want to leave the base camp gear at the trailhead.

jmez

WKR
Everything I take fits in the cab or my pickup. Other than my bow and a couple extra pairs of clothes it is all in my backpack. Hit the trailhead, change clothes put on the pack and gone for 10 days.

You should look into an enclosed trailer. It you are base camping and taking a lot of stuff that will be your best option. .

xziang

WKR
If you have an enclosed trailer I would take that. Can serve as a hang out area and or place to sleep instead of a tent. Not to mention able to keep all of your gear out of site and locked up. I don't use a trailer but I have a topper on the truck and I have all my gear in the coolers and or good plastic containers to pull out and leave outside if I decide to sleep in the back. I too have a folding hitch hauler on the truck incase I need the extra space.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 7'x14' enclosed trailer, use it to haul my junk and I set up cots in it to sleep. It's great for the raining/snowy days, cause it has enough room to move around and be comfortable and it is small enough to be able to drag it in to some tight areas.

Andy

FNG
I bought an old army jeep trailer off Craigslist last year for $200, cleaned it up, added new tires and rims and it is now my elk hunting trailer. I hauled it from Wisconsin out to Colorado and back and brought a bull back this October. Worked great! Should last me the rest of my life.

View attachment 33820

husky390

WKR
I hauled my wall tent and stove with all my gear in the truck and tent poles on the trailer. I'd love to get an enclosed utility trailer and just leave all my gear in it when the seasons over with but unfortunately I'd have to keep it in a storage yard and that type of trailer is a popular target for thieves/scumbags.

3209bc6f1fade816cb0f43e622e8bb7a.jpg

For the last few years I used my truck bed w canopy and a 4x8 utility trailer just loaded to the max, it was miserable. The worst part is first thing when you get home from a long hunting trip is you have to unload everything right away or let it sit outside. I just bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and I'm looking forward to having ample space, organization and the ability to lock it up and get to it when I want. Plus all that will be in the truck bed this year is rifles and hunting stuff.

Attachments

• 20160213_122053.jpg
    20160213_122053.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 245
OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
Thanks guys for the input and pics. I think I will probally be getting a utility trailer and have all my gear in my box bed under my toneau cover and atv on trailer.

husky390

WKR
For the last few years I used my truck bed w canopy and a 4x8 utility trailer just loaded to the max, it was miserable. The worst part is first thing when you get home from a long hunting trip is you have to unload everything right away or let it sit outside. I just bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and I'm looking forward to having ample space, organization and the ability to lock it up and get to it when I want. Plus all that will be in the truck bed this year is rifles and hunting stuff.

Nice trailer. I'd love to get one like that someday.

husky390

WKR
Thanks guys for the input and pics. I think I will probally be getting a utility trailer and have all my gear in my box bed under my toneau cover and atv on trailer.

They make seals that fit between the bottom portion of your tailgate and truckbed. I've never tried one, but in theory it should help keep the dust out.

I hauled my wall tent and stove with all my gear in the truck and tent poles on the trailer. I'd love to get an enclosed utility trailer and just leave all my gear in it when the seasons over with but unfortunately I'd have to keep it in a storage yard and that type of trailer is a popular target for thieves/scumbags.

3209bc6f1fade816cb0f43e622e8bb7a.jpg
This is very similar to how we do it. But we do three quads turned side ways and bring a motorcycle/atv jack to move them on trailer. Then we ratchet totes on all the quad racks and fill in all the gaps with small stuff. We had a pickup camper on the truck and one guy would ride in there. Dad bought 2015 super cab last month and i bought wall tent so no more pick up camper with three dudes! Yeah!!!

Terrapin

WKR
I use a 5x8 enclosed trailer. After we unload, we store all the coolers in there, a couple of chairs and a small table and cook stove. Ice last much longer (white trailer), we can lock it during the day, and we have a dry place to cook and hang out when it rains. When I hunt alone, that's whee I sleep. The rest of the year it packs my goose decoys. Best piece of gear I've bought in the last ten years. I wish it was the 6x12 with a man door on the side.