The Really Big Cooler Shootout, by Travis Bertrand

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

It's pushing 100 degrees in the West so no better time for a cooler test!

One of our top-read articles in 2015 was Rokslide Moderator Travis Bertrand's "Big Cooler Shootout" when he tested the 35-50 quart range coolers.

Travis is back, this time testing the "Really" big coolers in the 75-85 quart range from Orion, Siberian, Grizzly, and Canyon coolers.

I'm sure he spent +$100 in ice for this test so be sure and give it a read as he might just tip you off on the best cooler or the best deal. Take it away Travis...

Review: The Really BIG Cooler Showdown

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Oh man, when you said "really big coolers" I was expecting 200qt+. I wouldn't expect to see much difference in the 75-85qt size than the original test.

Travis,

How did you define when a cooler had reached the end of the ice retention test?

Was is no ice left at all? Was it by internal temperature? Or was it by a certain percentage loss of ice but a certain amount still present?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travis,

How did you define when a cooler had reached the end of the ice retention test?

Was is no ice left at all? Was it by internal temperature? Or was it by a certain percentage loss of ice but a certain amount still present?

Until all ice melted. When I checked on day 11. Orion literally had 7-10 cubes left when canyon did not.

Bmcox86

WKR
i recently bought a orion 65 and I love it, the thing is a tank and I can just toss bags of ice in it on Friday and use it all weekend then forget about it all week and the next Friday the ice is still in their and I can use it again. the pad on top is pretty nice too. my only complaint is that it was a pain in the ass to get it into Alaska, they wont ship up here so I had to get it shipped to myself when I was in the lower 48 and then fly back up with it.

Bmcox86

WKR
After having my Orion for almost two months my only complaint so far is its hard to open one handed. Have to have both hands or it's a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyU

WKR
Nice job Travis! Just finally got a second in time to check this one out! thanks for taking the time to do this test. Good luck on the hunt, I'm rooting for you brother!

desertcj

WKR
Cool, article! With my personal criteria including value, the Orion loses handily to the Canyon! You got an extra hour and a half for $200. I suppose the Orion has additional features, but my main purpose for a cooler is keeping ice. Thanks for the review!

Bkdc

FNG
Wow it took me years to read this article. The Orion lid in the photos were starting to warp — a major issue with all rotomolded coolers that sit out in the heat/sun. The darker the color, the higher the risk. White is safest but doesn’t blend well into the background like tan.