Why choose a tent without a floor?

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Beside weight what are some benefits of a tent without a floor and doesn't water come in if it rains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have a done a couple nights in a floorless and I worried water would be an issue but unless you pitch it where water would run or stand during rain then you wont have an issue. Bugs and dirt bugged me more but even those things were not as bad as I feared. I still chose to by a shelter with a floor when I spent some money on one. You should get some good advice here.

twall13

WKR
I had that fear when I switched over to a tarp with a hammock. The reality for me is I've never been wet in a hammock under a tarp (and I've been through a few pretty good storms). I've been wet more than a few times in a tent with a floor. When tents leak or have any amount of condensation, the floor keeps the water in with you. A floorless shelter has a place for the water to drain (in the ground). As long as you don't pitch it in a stream bed or place where water naturally flows you are better off with the floorless for water protection, in my opinion. Another advantage of a floorless shelter is they tend to be easier to set up on less than level terrain. I'll let others comment more on the differences as my experience with floorless is limited to hammocks/tarps which is different but holds to some of the same principles.

TEmbry

WKR
I like it for the simplicity and because of what was mentioned above.... dirt. My super tarp/bivy setup has twice the room of equivalent pup tents and at half the weight. I can crawl underneath in a downpour with muddy boots, change clothes, then setup sleeping bag and everything that was dry remains dry, everything that was wet can stay on the other side of the tarp. I haven't used it as much now that I live in Alaska (summer weekend hikes mostly), but in the right setting floorless is amazing. I have been using the Kuiu Stormstar this fall for sheep hunts and so far I love it as well. Heavy for it's size, but closer to Hilleberg strength, I LOVE that it pitches with the tent already inside the rainfly so your tent doesn't get soaked as you rush to put on the fly.

The simple answer for why to go floorless is easy, the weight tradeoff (when weather allows).

Shrek

WKR
you can have FIRE.

and when it snows you can walk in and stomp off the snow and mud and not worry bout it.

And that fire in the stove will warm you up and dry things out. A warm dry tent is heaven when you come in cold , wet , and tired. Even if you set it up in a pouring rain the ground will soon soak up the water and dry up even without a fire.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Do they work when the lows are in the 20s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
If your a little "nasty", you can spit chew and pee out your bag towards the side when it's super cold...

I've used mine in 0-4* weather without a stove and not had any issues. In the snow you can dig down and reall open up the room in your shelter.

For me, the absolute biggest reason is wt. savings but there are other reasons like what has already been stated. My traditional tents are by no means obsolete, but since I started using floorless shelters several years ago, they get much more use than my traditional tents.

You can have fire in it. You can wear your boots in it. You can chop wood for you fire in it. You can piss in it! I can go on and on

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
So what a is a good brand for a floorless shelter?

Definitely a fire... Even during archery elk season.. It rains and I can dry out all my stuff.. Just know that for about 20 mins you think you might die from over heating lol its kinda a nice feeling though

My spike camp shelter that I'll be living in for 10 days on Kodiak starting early next month.
6f799d4e3adcb058b43d4aa1a5a3e53b.jpg

Just over a pound including stakes, guylines, and stuff sack. Bomber as hell in a storm to boot!

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really really liking the megatarp.

welpro222

WKR
Just got back from using a floorless shelter (kifaru megatarp) for 4 nights in dry then rainy weather. I loved it, except having to crawl in and out of it. When it rained all day, I did have a small run of water come thru, but it was my fault for choosing a bad spot (slight hill). Running the cylinder stove was awesome for drying out and warming up mid-day.

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
I've always wondered the same. I've seen some nice, simple set ups with a floorless tarp/cover and sleeping bags under. I just have a huge fear of a snake coming in and making itself at home in my bag haha.