Electric Fat Bikes

I’ve used a trail motorcycle on them ATV trails up there and some of the trails are really rocky and difficult to maneuver on a dirt bike with no hunting gear on. I can’t imagine trying to hunt/scout off an ebike with thousands of dollars of optics and other gear on me? Not to say it can’t be done but just don’t crash!! :)

I personally have both Rambo and QuietKat. Both 1000’s. Literally cannot go wrong with either. Power very similar. I might give a slight advantage to the QuietKat. As far as customer service and relations, I would again go with QuietKat. Bend over backwards for you to make something right. I also much prefer the looks of the QuietKat, but again, both bikes are exceptional.

Jaquomo

WKR
I have a Rambo and my GF has a RAD Rover. If I had it to do over again I'd go with the RAD. Four main reasons - The RAD has a 14ah battery where my Rambo 750 (actually 749 to comply with federal and state laws on non-motorized for Class 1 and 2) while the Rambo has 10.5 ah. The RAD has about 2" higher pedal ground clearance than the Rambo. The RAD has front shocks where the Rambo doesn't. And it costs $1,000 less. They are amazing tools. We take ours into places where no other vehicle can go because we can easily lift them over or pick our way around deadfall and negotiate over and around rocks. Both will literally climb up or navigate down a rocky chute if the rider is good enough. There is definitely a learning curve in how to ride them safely in rough terrain and how to manage the battery (shut it off on downhill, or drop the assist to 0). We keep our tire pressure at 10 psi which makes for a very forgiving ride.

As far as legality, Colorado law declared them as non-motorized and the CPW does not have a policy currently on state land. I spoke with the head of the trails division for CPW and he said he believes they should be legal wherever regular bikes are allowed. Same answer from the USFS Regional Trails supervisor. He said he is all for them because they keep people out riding who otherwise wouldn't because of age or injuries, because they are "green", quiet, and do no more resource damage than any other MTB. He said the USFS is reviewing the policy and running some pilot programs now where they are allowed. He believes it's only a matter of time until the TMR is revised, but the federal bureaucracy moves slowly. He also told me he doesn't know of any citations being written on USFS trails. The county where I live has some huge foothills open space areas allowing horse, foot, or bicycle, and they are legal there. They are growing in popularity and are here to stay. My GF remarked the other day that if ATVs and motorcycles were outlawed but e-bikes were allowed, the mountains would be a much better place.

Ok, I'm 64 with a metal hip and a bad knee and still bowhunt big game solo for 70+ days a year. I've gotten grief from people who think riding an e-bike is cheating", but who have no problem hiring someone to pack them in and out on horseback. That smacks of just a little hypocrisy. So far all my riding has been either on private land in the mountains or on USFS trails open to motorized vehicles but impassable to ATVs and motorcycles due to deadfall patches that the USFS doesn't clear. But come hunting season I don't think I'd have any qualms about riding in on a closed USFS road open to regular bikes. USFS TMR policy is not law", but rather arbitrary rules enacted by unelected bureaucrats that can be changed at any time, for any reason. My GF is a lawyer and would love to test the TMR rule in court, as do several other e-bike riding attorneys I know.

Thats freaking awesome! I just bought my bafang 750 watt today. Mounting it on a sweet ass gary fisher full suspension rig. Should be fast and light as hell.

wapitibob

WKR
"USFS TMR policy is not law", but rather arbitrary rules enacted by unelected bureaucrats that can be changed at any time, for any reason."

I think the Federal Govt disagrees with you

"The Administrative Procedure Act (APA) authorizes federal agencies to promulgate rules. The APA defines a “rule” as “an agency statement of general or particular applicability and future effect designed to implement, interpret, or prescribe law or policy.”

The Supreme Court has said that a legislative or “substantive” rule – commonly referred to as a “regulation” – “binds” the public, and, like a statute, has the “force and effect” of law."

The TMA was promulgated under Forest Service Regulations 36 CFR part 212 and 36 CFR 295. As with all regulations I've looked at recently, the first paragraph is the "authority" section. That section where either the Feds or the State, give the respective agency the authority to create said regulations. No different than the Game Dept regulations we all follow when out hunting. I think most of us would agree, if we break one of those regs, we'll get a ticket.

Either way, good to see you gettin out there. Lots of guys on the other forum that are really messed up by the time they hit 60.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Thanks, Bob, and I understand the distinction and the enforcability by gubmint agencies since I was a LEO for a couple of them in a previous life. Not going to relitigate that here. What is interesting is that some who get wound up by the legal aspects of e-bikes on public land have no qualms about corner-hopping, which is also a chargeable offense. As with ebikes, it's about whether the local authority is inclined to prosecute.

That has happened with corner-hopping but not with ebikes, that anyone knows of (including the Regional USFS manager I talked with). I'm not into civil disobedience but not overly concerned either.

Hunting aside, these things are the most fun I've had in decades. My GF is a double-black mogul skier and compares the downhilling to skiing. I watch her slalom down steep rock pitches and through rocky creeks on those big soft tires with both wheels off the ground sometimes and it's an amazing thing. I poke my way down like a cautious old man but get there in one piece. And we both are laughing all the way.

Our next adventure will be an overnight trip with bivy-weight backpacks. Should be no problem now after learning what they will do safely.

Jaquomo

WKR
BTW Bob, I wasn't referring to you with the corner-jumping comment. You did your homework on that and did it the right way.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks real nice, once you get yours, you'll have to post a pic of it, since it's a hardtail. The range is very impressive as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I will for sure. Am Looking forward to it. The Baofang motor programming is completely customizable. So I can limit it to keep it within the class 2 for legal on trails or change the programming to open it up to 1000w. I have ridden motorcycles and MTB for years. so this was a bit of a mix of both worlds. I cannot wait to get it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thats freaking awesome! I just bought my bafang 750 watt today. Mounting it on a sweet ass gary fisher full suspension rig. Should be fast and light as hell.

Love to see this my regular MTB is a Gary Fisher Wahoo with from Judy suspension its a fantastic crosstrek rig for working out and the thing is fast as all get out.

Being able to control the power output is nice. I can do that on my specialized levo, it helps with range for sure.
I will for sure. Am Looking forward to it. The Baofang motor programming is completely customizable. So I can limit it to keep it within the class 2 for legal on trails or change the programming to open it up to 1000w. I have ridden motorcycles and MTB for years. so this was a bit of a mix of both worlds. I cannot wait to get it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Love to see this my regular MTB is a Gary Fisher Wahoo with from Judy suspension its a fantastic crosstrek rig for working out and the thing is fast as all get out.

Mine is a Genesis 2.0
Older bike but the price was right and its in awesome shape. Keeping fingers crossed that the bottom bracket is compatible.

vanish

WKR
Found this little tidbit of info. Looks like state park Land Managers are now using Ebikes to trek through the wilderness. =)

Note that SHTF did not mean the literal wilderness. :D Confused me there briefly!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is to find a fat bike cheap and install the Mid-Drive kit from B-Fang. Pretty simple add a Leki Bling ring and bob's your uncle. Love it. Once you build it yourself you understand your bike better which helps with repairs and mods. But the biggest battery you can afford..never regret extra amp-hours.

YouTube

Jereome

FNG
Another option is to find a fat bike cheap and install the Mid-Drive kit from B-Fang. Pretty simple add a Leki Bling ring and bob's your uncle. Love https://besttoolbackpack.com. Once you build it yourself you understand your bike better which helps with repairs and mods. But the biggest battery you can afford..never regret extra amp-hours.

YouTube
Thanks for the vid!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
My buddy put that kit on his fat bike. Way cheaper than buying one of the factory bikes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Has anyone used a fat bike, electric or pedal, in a cut corn field? Couple of my stands here in Midwest are close to to mike walk in muddy, clay fairly loose land.