Which battery powered monoxide alarm for tent?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just use a regular 9 volt battery CO detector. I have a bin next to my cot and just lay it on there. That's a few feet from where the heater is. But I never run the heater at night, that's what my sleeping bag is for.

Wapiti1

WKR
CO/CO2 will settle to the floor in a cold air environment. Happens all the time at work in the steel mill I work at. CO/CO2 settles in the conveyor pits if you run diesels near that area. Confined space procedures are NO JOKE. Follow them. The denser cold air will actually force it down. Ever see an inversion hold warm air in a valley? Same thing.

The Kidde detectors are good, but they do eat batteries. I've used one in a camper shell with a catalytic heater. Ventilate as much as you can. CO/CO2 is nothing to take a chance with. Being cold is better than being dead.

Any detector should be placed at head level while sleeping.

Jeremy

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?

Shraggs

WKR
Nighthawk makes a dedicated battery operated model just like their home a/c model. I use this and a battery operated smoke alarm any time I'm in the camper, even if I don't fire up heater - propane can leak, electric heaters can short etc.

If I'm tent camping and there is going to be a heat source, any source I will take those two units even if I'm a visitor.

This was my first year with a tent and stove. We used both the wood stove and a NuWay. It is definitely a game changer.....but you need to be smart. We ran a Co2 detector but never ran the NuWay overnight while sleeping. Crank it up when you get in, read a bit, then turn it off and snuggle into that bag. In the morning....crank it back up and get dressed. It doesn't take long for that tent to warm up.

MUCH safer then never waking up........

Titan

WKR
We run propane heaters during the day, but turn them off at night. I picked up a 12v propane detector online that is used for RVs. I use a 12v lawn mower battery and alligator clips. Ran it for 9 nights without a problem.

dotman

WKR
Where are you hunting that you cant get a bag rated to the temp? Id rather spend the cash on an appropriate bag or run a wood stove then sleep with a propane stove in a confined space all night long.

That’s what I’m wondering as well.

blackdawg

WKR
I have used the nuway for 3 seasons, no smoke, no wood to collect, for basecamp it’s great, I will not sleep with Any type of gas/propane stove running. I put a small cookie sheet under it with long matches, alarm goes off, reach over fire it up and 5 minutes later I am dancing around tent naked like it’s the tropics,even on mornings like this .
12239d18120922483b47600929d8a09d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Having a propane stove with an externally vented chimney is a godsend. I've run it overnight on many days the last two seasons to dry out wet gear. I used the same type of battery powered CO detector you'd use for your house, got mine at Home Depot or Amazon. Just make sure to crack a door/window/vent for draft.
89976bffc5c788687ae267a09cb32b61.jpg

OP
Where's Bruce?
Talked to the owner of Nu-Way this afternoon, he runs this same sized stove off a 20gal propane tank (outside tent) pretty much 24/7 and the tank lasts two full weeks. With the vented design and an automatic propane shut-off feature (in case the burner goes out) he said nobody's had a problem running the stove all night. When the temps are subzero keeping a single burner going all night will be nice...won't see my breath and wake up to ice crystals on my bag or quilt.

Nice lookin' tent Brendan...we must have similar tastes. LOL

This is my tent.

27868105_10215147416819869_4108520123280831629_n.jpg

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Nice tent :D

With the vented design and an automatic propane shut-off feature (in case the burner goes out)

Just so everyone realizes - the automatic shutoff and the externally vented are pretty key. If you think about it - not much different than a wood stove or a gas furnace in your house. Wouldn't recommend it with a Mr Buddy type heater...

OP
Where's Bruce?
Just returned from AZ after spending days using the propane stove. Works great. So much easier than a wood stove, no pops or flying cinders. 100% satisfied. Temp was below 20* with snow flurries. I accidentally grabbed the wrong Wiggys bag and took a 40* Freedom Shelter bag instead of the 0* Freedom shelter bag. I have two for summer/winter hammock camping (cuz of the center zip) and am very thankful for the Nu-Way's heat generation and consistency. After playing around with the settings a bit it kept the tent's temp perfect all night. Can't so that with wood and I like how clean it is. No need to maintain the stove or stovepipe.

28377888_10215290336512772_7830086666851715089_n.jpg

Last edited:

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone have experience with the Nu-Way stove inside of a Kifaru tipi? I have the 16-man and have used a custom-built 4-Dog titanium wood stove for several years with complete satisfaction. However, in 2019 I'll be well above tree line with zero wood available. And while September 2018 in the Wrangells was unusually warm it can be very cold in that part of the world during moose season.

I'm considering a propane stove (in spite of the added fly-in cost) and would love to hear from anyone about burn times, propane usage, etc. We'll probably just burn it approximately 1.5 hours in the morning and another 1.5 hours in the evening before turning in. What I don't have a feel for is whether I'd need to burn the stove opened wide or throttled back in order to achieve a reasonable amount of warmth. I can imagine how efficiently the heater warms up a tent like the Arctic Oven but don't know about a thin-walled tipi. On the plus side, my 16-man has a liner and the stove pipe is vertical through about 11' of tipi before exiting the top so much of the heat stays inside. Any input based on first-hand experience would be greatly appreciated.