What is the deal with latex gloves?

AKBorn

WKR
For bears I bring out the gloves and a wolf smells so bad you wouldn't want to barehand it for all the tea in China. Hares- definitely as well since we live in a major tularemia area.

I shot a wolf back in 2006 in the 40 mile country, don't remember it having much odor at all. Did I just luck out and get a rare one that didn't smell much?

I will say that I am damn tired with finding them out in the field and next to gut piles. No one here would do that of course but a lot of people seem to leave them out there when they are finished.

That’s pretty dang shitty. Even if you didn’t plan ahead and have a trash bag in your day pack, it’s pretty easy to throw them in a game bag with the meat. I’m an oz counter too, a pair of the heavy duty Venom nitrile gloves weighs 0.55oz

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
When I started butchering big game I wore gloves because of old ice fishing habits. A pair of nitrile gloves does wonders for keeping my hands from going numb because evaporation is happening off of the surface of the glove rather than the surface of the skin. Tactile hands mean I'm less likely to nick myself.

The habit also carries over from work, where I cut up a lot of roadkill for trap bait. After butchering so many animals on their way to being green slime putting on gloves is a comforting ritual. And while infection is unlikely, I sure would feel dumb to be patient zero for some new outbreak because I left half a cent and half an oz of gloves at home.

jmez

WKR
The list of zoonotic blood borne pathogens in ungulates is small. TB and brucellosis is about the extent of it. Deer in parts of Michigan, elk/ bison in greater Yellowstone area respectively.

Stay out of the bladder and uterus and your safe from lepto.

Viruses, unless they have rabies your good. Even if they do, virus dies very quickly after the animal does.

Cuts that get infected are from surface contamination of the knife and your hand, not animal blood.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Loco4dux

WKR
The same reason we have nice rifles backpacks boots blah blah. It’s nice to have them - solid piece of gear.

zacattack

WKR
They will also help protect your meat from contamination by bacteria on your hands. This will in turn reduce spoilage. Btw nitrile gloves are better to use than latex.

CorbLand

WKR
I rarely use them but I will say that the times I have, it is really nice to take them off and your hands are clean.

Murdy

WKR
When I started hunting in the 1970s, CWD wasn't around (on the one hand, they say humans can't catch it, on the other, they say to avoid cutting the spinal cord, not sure what the deal is so better safe than sorry).

Also, it's now pretty easy and cheap to order a set off Amazon, which wasn't around back then either.

KurtR

WKR
I used to be allergic to the hair on animals so not only did i have gloves on that went to my shoulders i had to wear a dust mask so i could keep breathing. I got a whole rash of shit every time we went to gut a deer

When I started hunting in the 1970s, CWD wasn't around (on the one hand, they say humans can't catch it, on the other, they say to avoid cutting the spinal cord, not sure what the deal is so better safe than sorry).

Also, it's now pretty easy and cheap to order a set off Amazon, which wasn't around back then either.

Likewise our game and fish Dept is saying not to sever the spinal cord but then they tell us to bring them the animal’s head and neck for testing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Deer dander still does that to me, but not as bad as it once did.
I used to be allergic to the hair on animals so not only did i have gloves on that went to my shoulders i had to wear a dust mask so i could keep breathing. I got a whole rash of shit every time we went to gut a deer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The list of zoonotic blood borne pathogens in ungulates is small. TB and brucellosis is about the extent of it. Deer in parts of Michigan, elk/ bison in greater Yellowstone area respectively.

Stay out of the bladder and uterus and your safe.

I had to pack out the testicles on my deer from Colorado. I’m sure the reproductive organs could at least harbor Lepto and brucellosis.

Here’s a list that might get your attention.

https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Pages/Disease-Precautions-for-Hunters.aspx

I would add anthrax to that list as well.

Frequently Asked Questions - White-tailed Deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Colorado is brucellosis free. Other than hogs, the only states that have it in the wild game are in the greater Yellowstone area in elk and bison, not deer.

Anthrax is not a concern, if an animal were infected it would be obvious there was something wrong with it. It is quickly fatal, hours, and animals that die from it have hemorrhage from the nose, mouth and rectum. You are much more likely to be exposed to anthrax by digging in the dirt. It also rarely affects any animals other than cattle and bison.

That list is essentially any disease that animals get that can also infect humans. Several of them are foreign animal diseases that aren't even found in this country. The majority of them are also vector transmitted diseases, transmitted by insects, not by contact with blood.

Lepto can be found in reproductive organs. The most common route of getting lepto is from contaminated water. Would be very rare to contact it by dressing an animal that has the bacteria.

I'm not against gloves, I wear them. I do it to keep clean, not because I worry about catching a disease. Outside of specific areas of the country getting an actual disease from field dressing or cutting up a game animal is extremely rare.

Fatcamp

WKR
Colorado is brucellosis free. Other than hogs, the only states that have it in the wild game are in the greater Yellowstone area in elk and bison, not deer.

Anthrax is not a concern, if an animal were infected it would be obvious there was something wrong with it. It is quickly fatal, hours, and animals that die from it have hemorrhage from the nose, mouth and rectum. You are much more likely to be exposed to anthrax by digging in the dirt. It also rarely affects any animals other than cattle and bison.

That list is essentially any disease that animals get that can also infect humans. Several of them are foreign animal diseases that aren't even found in this country. The majority of them are also vector transmitted diseases, transmitted by insects, not by contact with blood.

Lepto can be found in reproductive organs. The most common route of getting lepto is from contaminated water. Would be very rare to contact it by dressing an animal that has the bacteria.

I'm not against gloves, I wear them. I do it to keep clean, not because I worry about catching a disease. Outside of specific areas of the country getting an actual disease from field dressing or cutting up a game animal is extremely rare.

So do you have citations or credentials for what you are saying?

I ask because your anthrax facts are apparently incorrect.

http://http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/anthrax/anthrax.html

I'm not sure why people use them but I do know this much...I AM SICK OF PEOPLE LEAVING THEM LYING IN THE WOODS AT THEIR GUT PILES!!!

jspradley

WKR
Low-risk is not no-risk.

I doubt anyone who has caught something from not using gloves continues to not use them.

The chance of gloves preventing something is quite low but there is literally zero downside to carrying and using them so it's just smart practice.

And, to the OP, sad to say but basing hunting decisions on what Texans do isn't always the smartest thing. lol ...and I say that as a fellow Texan

isu22andy

WKR
I use them because its nice to have your hands clean when you need to use your phone, or get in your truck or sign your tag. I dont miss the days of finding a creek or trying to wash your hands in the snow.

Tod osier

WKR
So many reasons, gloves gives you some protection from nicks and cuts from a blade (the minor kind that are common), makes clean up easier, offers protection from infection. Lots of reasons for me, but just keeping my hands clean is a big plus.

In the backcountry, especially in deep where I really don't want a serious cut and are days from medical care, I bring woven Kevlar gloves with nitrile palms and put a disposable glove over them to keep them cleaner (they can absorb a lot of blood and are messy when they get soaked).