Message for buyers and buyers' FFL dealers.

BigSky

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Here's a heads up to buyers out there. Most people on this forum already know this; but, your FFL dealer absolutely has to provide either a copy of his FFL or a partial FFL number to a seller for a seller to lawfully ship a rifle. I have recently run into a fiasco with an FFL for my buyer. THIS IS NOT MY BUYER'S FAULT. His FFL dealer will not provide a copy of his FFL for me to ship to him. It's understandable that he has a fear that someone might use his FFL for their own purposes. I get that. The BATF has set up a system called: FFLeZCheck at the following link: https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/FFLEzCheck/ This FFL dealer refused to even provide a partial number for me to use the system that was created for this exact scenario.

All an FFL needs to do is provide a partial set of the numbers for a seller to verify the validity of his FFL and therefore would be unable to "steal" or otherwise wrongfully use his FFL. These FFL dealers need to know that we sellers or even our FFL guys can't just take their word for it that they are an FFL. People shipping firearms do not want to expose themselves to federal prosecution because they took the word of someone they don't know.

I take pride in timely completion of deals for people and hate being at the mercy of an FFL who won't cooperate with his own customer. I know this sounds like a rant and, I guess, in part, it is. However, my intent is that it be information for new outdoor/firearms forum buyers and long distance buyers.

Last edited:

codym

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've bought and sold quite a bit on the interweb, mostly gb but other forums. My FFL is pretty good but I always cringe with this part of the process. I had a seller once that just wouldnt cooperate and a ATF agent in El Paso that didn't know the process either. Lot's of bad info out there. Good post, thank you!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never had a firearm shipped but have wanted a few ive passed on because of the process, so this might be a stupid question.

Couldn’t your buyer give you contact info for the ship to and the two FFL’s exchange info thus eliminating the chance the buyer would steal the FFL info ? Or is the ship to just being an a$$ because they aren’t getting the sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EastMT

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you go on GB, they have a complete list of transfer agents you can search by zip code etc. I would have the buyer pick another one and let that guy know you won’t be back.

This is a pretty rare event, usually it’s pretty simple. I have a guy here in AK that’s super easy, he emails the seller his info, ships, calls you. $40 fee, zero hassle.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
There's plenty of FFL's out there that know the system and how it works. If you (the buyer) find an FFL that won't cooperate, take your business elsewhere.

As the seller, every FFL I have dealt with has emailed me a copy of their license willingly, and immediately. Print a copy to include in the box, save a copy on your computer, and ship the rifle. I've sold probably a dozen guns like this over the last 5 years.

OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
As the seller, every FFL I have dealt with has emailed me a copy of their license willingly, and immediately. Print a copy to include in the box, save a copy on your computer, and ship the rifle. I've sold probably a dozen guns like this over the last 5 years.

This has usually, with over 100 transcations over the last decade, been my experience and process too. However, I can understand an FFL's desire not to send the FFL as people have, increasingly, been modifying them and using them for fraudulent transactions. So, use the FFL EZ check that I provided in my first post to make sure: a) the FFL is legit; and, b) that the shipping address is correct. Either way, the buyer's FFL has to provide some sort of verification of his validity, period. I ended up, as suggested above, having to have my local FFL agree to receive the copy of the FFL from the other dealer and then verify the validity of the buyer's dealer's FFL so that I could ship.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a dealer and haven't done THAT many shipping deals and yet I've encountered more and more of these FFL's who refuse to provide their copy - I believe if you tell the FFL to just black out the number the rest of the FFL page will provide enough info for the ATF to verify if it comes to that - IF that doesn't satisfy that dealer then it's pretty obvious he's a "Richard" - as the population grows so does the % of these sort of folks, just simple math

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you go on GB, they have a complete list of transfer agents you can search by zip code etc. I would have the buyer pick another one and let that guy know you won’t be back.

This is a pretty rare event, usually it’s pretty simple. I have a guy here in AK that’s super easy, he emails the seller his info, ships, calls you. $40 fee, zero hassle.

Coop, I know a few local (Wasilla/Palmer) ffls that charge $10 or less. If you are interested let me know.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Many sellers/buyers themselves don’t know the laws either. Dealing with an FFL isn’t a hard process at all.
I’ve found that FFL to FFL transfer is much more of a hassle than private party to FFL. Some people insist on not accepting from private party which is just a personal choice not a law.
Also many won’t deal with CA but it’s just as easy as any other state given what you are shipping is CA legal.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
About to ship my first rifle. I have the FFL to put in the box. Am I required to put a copy of my DL in there too?

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always put a copy of my DL in the box so they can complete the transfer forms...... Or email it to them...

whaack

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Recently sold a few guns online. In two different transactions the buyers FFLs would not send me a copy of their FFL so I could ship.

One flat told me it was against the law for me to ship him a gun. He told me I HAD to have my local dealer ship it to him. SMH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Recently sold a few guns online. In two different transactions the buyers FFLs would not send me a copy of their FFL so I could ship.

One flat told me it was against the law for me to ship him a gun. He told me I HAD to have my local dealer ship it to him. SMH.

Sounds like his day job is with UPS or USPS. Some employees there do not know the rules.

mi650

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0

I've had 2 different local shops tell me recently that they will not accept shipments from individuals, because an FATF agent told them not to. Both are shops that I've used in the past.

Unoboats

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
UPS will no longer accept an individual ship a firearm. ATF changed requirements recently to prevent individuals shipping guns. Only a FFL holder can ship to another FFL

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16