ELD-M for hunting???

OP
Muley Buck
Thank you rfurman24 for resurrecting this thread. My wife and I just got back from Wyoming and she used hornady factory ammunition, 147 eldm in her 6.5 creedmoor. It performed great! It was a full frontal chest shot at 270 yds, and she threaded the needle perfectly. He ran maybe, and I mean maybe 30yds and it was lights out. Pretty much the same experience as you. Hard to argue with the results I've read and now experienced.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm headed out next week for deer and elk. Got a fairly new 6.5 x 284 norma and my bullet of choice is the 147......I'll let ya all know how it does but I expect it will be exceptional. We will be in open country for deer and some timbered country for elk but even though practice consists of ranges out to 1100 yards, you never know and could shoot something at 100 in this terrain. I'm excited to use the 147's..... Stay tuned for photos.

Randy

WRO

WKR
A couple of my buddies killed 2 mule deer bucks at 908 and 932 with 0 complaints with 225 eldm out of a rum and 300-338 lapua improved..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I shot a bull through the shoulder bedded at 400 quartering too me. Bullet stopped on the opposite ribs with a 225 ELDM out of my norma.

DRT..

Glad you have good results with the 225. My limited experience has not been as impressive. Just sharing what little I have seen with that particular bullet. Pass me the 212 eldx everytime. Not saying what I experienced with the 225 can’t or won’t happen just that it hasn’t happened yet.

I would imagine the extra 300 yards the bullet got to slow down over the 100 yard shot on the kodiak brown bear I saw shot with the 300 Norma at 100 yards contributing to you getting much better penetration.

Congrats on the elk btw.

WRO

WKR
Glad you have good results with the 225. My limited experience has not been as impressive. Just sharing what little I have seen with that particular bullet. Pass me the 212 eldx everytime. Not saying what I experienced with the 225 can’t or won’t happen just that it hasn’t happened yet.

I would imagine the extra 300 yards the bullet got to slow down over the 100 yard shot on the kodiak brown bear I saw shot with the 300 Norma at 100 yards contributing to you getting much better penetration.

Congrats on the elk btw.

Thanks, I'll shoot one close here in a couple weeks for "testing" purposes :)..

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot speak for the 225, but the 208's are a hammer. ive had great results with them and a win mag. I haven't used them in close but I cant see them not working at higher impact velocities just steer clear of bone

2five7

WKR
My buddies kid used the factory 147's to kill a 5x6 bull at just over 300 yards out of a creedmoor. Bull stood there for a few seconds, then tipped over dead.

I'm shooting them out of my 28 this year, we'll see how they work soon.

WRO

WKR
Thanks, I'll shoot one close here in a couple weeks for "testing" purposes :)..
50 yards on a small bear, flat destroyed him.
98a2bfe1b47e81781c3fd29b7a403635.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Nice!!! About what one would expect. :)

Cool to do get it one with little one in tow.
Standards disappear when the little one is with me. She's a trooper and i wanted her to get the whole experience. It's going to have a pink, purple, and sparkly skull dip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've shot a couple of mule deer bucks in the last 10 days or so with the 147 eldm out of a 6.5 x 284 norma. 560 yards and 504 yards.
I would not hesitate to recommend them. Hammers.

Randy

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The point is not if you can or can't actually maintain .5 moa in field conditions. You need the most accuracy you can get if you are going to be ethically long range hunting. If you only have a 1moa rifle/load and you miss the wind call be 1moa you are now up to 2 moa off poa. Every bit of accuracy adds to the probability of hitting inside the kill zone. ABM has a program that will actually calculate the difference in hit probably between cartridges. An average cartridge's ballistics with 1moa vs .5 moa accuracy is about 10% difference in kill zone hit probability. Maybe that does not mean much to you but it is huge to me.

There’s actually not that much difference between .5 MOA and 1.5 MOA on 10-12 inch targets, let alone .5 and 1 MOA. The reason being that the source of error isn’t from group size, but errors in wind and velocity variations. I’ll run the WEZ but inside of 600 I’ll accept a true 1.5 MOA gun, and 1 MOA is acceptable to 800+ on deer size vitals and bigger. Past that it really doesn’t make that mich difference on first shot hits, because even really good wind callers have too much error.

FURMAN

WKR
I do not have WEZ(it's on my want list) and obviously the cartridge/bullet matters but from my recollection Bryan said from 1moa to .5 moa was near 10% more hit probability. Again this is not a quote just going from memory. To me 10% is huge. Going from .5 to .2 was more like 1%. I would love the extra 1% but that is definitely getting to the point where the shooter is the weak link. So to my point I will take all the accuracy I can get but I will not spend hundreds of rounds trying to make a .3-.4 rifle a .2 rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
6.5 Creedmoor, 147gr ELD-M at 2600fps, SAC.

600 yards, 12” square, +/- 1m range, 2mph wind uncertainty, 10fps MV SD. Calling wind within 2mph is being very generous....

6% difference between .5 and 1.5 MOA. That’s in a high confidence environment. 2% between .5 and 1 MOA. A 10% difference is where it starts being noticeable. Less than that and it’s generally semantics.

.5 MOA.

[/IMG]

1 MOA.

5nJqUqC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1.5 MOA.

AMrf01v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once 1.5 MOA consistent 10 round groups means that we’re not missing because of lack of precision. A little bit of work to get below 1.5 MOA is worth it, below 1 MOA and I don’t waste time.

skeptic

FNG
I used the 108 ELD-M out of my 6 Creedmore on a cow elk with a great deal of efficiency. Shot placement was about 4" behind the front shoulder, shot distance was 498 yards. She locked up and stood there, pretty much dead on her feet. Tipped over after about 15 seconds. Really liking the effectiveness of the 6 and 6.5s with proper shot placement. I guess it depends on what your definition of long range is, but I have had great luck with the 140 Eldm out of my 6.5 Creed as well on elk at ranges between 400 and 600 yards. Recovered bullets that were perfectly mushroomed and retained 65-75 percent of their weight. Can't ask for much more in my book.

shawnb

FNG
Hey Luke, have you shot animals with both the 212’s and the 225’s?

I have been shooting the 225’s a lot for targets and was thinking of using for hunting. I have no doubts they would be fine for most game shooting in the lungs but when i take the rifle into grizzly country i just dont know.

Whats your thoughts.

I've used the 180 ELD M the last 2 years and I am done using it. From 2930 fps to 3007 fps. 50 yards to 518 yards. Always got good penetration but hardly any blood trail even in snow.