Tripod head for a rifle

hwy1strat

WKR
I am looking for a tripod head that is strong enough to hold a heavy long range rifle. I have a small lightweight tripod head for my optics which is rated for 22lbs but it does not have enough "backbone" to hold a rifle. What are you guys using for your long range shooting off of a tripod?

If you don't want to spring for an RRS or Leofoto head, most of the cheap Arca Swiss compatible ball heads do a decent job. I attach the Arca Swiss rail directly to my stock to eliminate as many parts as possible.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
I should have added in there that I want something that is reasonably priced. For me, I think around $150 is the most I would spend for just a tripod head. Maybe that is too low to get one that works, and if that is the case, I will adjust

4716BA82-4F4A-4FFD-AE81-BDED7FC49BB1.jpg

This is the RRS Vyce in the photo.

In your price range, I think you should look at the PIG Saddle.

There are a lot of decisions to make believe it or not. First, there are 3 ways to mount the saddle to the tripod.

A direct mount will be the most stable, but least adjustable. You will have to adjust the legs of the tripod to aim (for the most part).

A ball head mount will be the most adjustable but least stable, and most have the risk of your entire rifle flopping over to the side, which can throw it off balance, and tip the whole shebang over into the dirt.

I went with a half ball leveling base. This allows for quick adjustments for cant, elevation, and tracking of a moving target. It isn't as adjustable as a ball head, but it does what I need it to do.

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
I am just looking for a tripod head. I already have a hog saddle and I have an arca rail on another rifle. Just looking for a strong stable head that can support a heavy rifle

Something that uses an Arca rail attachment is going to be the most stable of you can afford it.

I run an RRS 34 with leveling base and arca mount. Nothing I have ever used comes even remotely close to the stability. The rig I use for NV hunting weighs about 20lbs and I take shots at 300-400 frequently with it from the standing position.

If you can only afford a HOG saddle or RRS Vyce the I'd take the RRS hands down. It has much more clamping strength but regardless you're always going to get some play with a clamp vs a direct attachment that is mounted to the gun.

This is a video at 300 yards standing with the RRS. Not sure how I dicked the first shot. There's a Bush in front of the coin that was causing some weird crap with the NV.

YouTube