SWFA 6x

Bobbyboe

WKR
Good morning gents. I have a question that may or may not belong here, but I’ll go ahead and ask anyways because of the long range knowledge. I just bought a Fieldcraft .308win that needs a new scope. The intended ranges are from 200-600 yards on targets and 0-500 yards on deer sized game.

I would like to stay away from all bdc style reticles and just turn knobs. Through research on this site I know that few scopes are up to the task of repeated, reliable tracking.

Here’s the question. Is the SWFA fixed 6 enough power for the ranges stated above? In the past I’ve used a vortex viper 2.5-10 out to 400. If no, is the SWFA ultralight a reliable option for dialing to those ranges?

So, let me have it, what do you guys think?

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
/\ Just the guy I was hoping to here from! Haha. Anyways. Will Talley’s work, or should I be beefing up the rings?

Apollo117

WKR
+1 on the fixed 6 SWFA. I just put a set of Talley's on my Tikka T3 Superlite. I've barely sighted in again. So far I really like the Talley's. I think they fit the theme of the lightweight Fieldcraft very well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
/\ Just the guy I was hoping to here from! Haha. Anyways. Will Talley’s work, or should I be beefing up the rings?

I generally don’t prefer Tally’s do to seeing multiple sets crack, but in this case I wouldn’t be too worried about it. The last few Fieldcraft's we used the Tally’s.

Wrongside

WKR
Thanks guys. I have a 6x on its way.

I bet you'll love it. The SWFA SS 6x or 10x are very durable, repeatable and great value.

Personally, I'd go something other than Talley LWs, seen a few sets let go. My buds and family have gone away from them entirely. For a few ounces more, I like the XTR Sigs for the heavier scopes, like the SWFA SS. The small weight penalty is worth it for the peace of mind.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just ordered up a 6x for my wife’s first rifle. Got some zero stop shims ordered and a set of talleys to put on her tikka 243.

I got it wanting an affordable, dialable scope. The fact that it’s fixed will likely only help her with less moving parts while learning to shoot.

Glad to hear others are having luck with a similar combo

Fatcamp

WKR
Bought my wife a 20X for a Stevens 200 rebarreled to 6.5CM. She wants to play waaay out there. Should work for her.

Need to decide on a mount. DNZ 20MOA, maybe? Shooting to 1200. We have had good luck with their mounts previously.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I was able to shoot my 6x a few times. Overall I’m very happy with the scope. I am able to see a 1moa target at 100 yards. It seems that it should be fine out to 600 yards. My only concern is how small the reticle dot is. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to see it in low light hunting conditions. We shall see....

Honestly you'll be hard pressed to see any reticle at low light that has usability long range without illumination at 6x...

Many a small rock has gotten smaller well past 600 with the 6x..

The absurd amount of travel pairs well with cheap low bc factory fodder.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I ordered zero stop shims for my scope and they work great. The shims put a solid zero stop into the elevation turret, so there is no concern about them spinning and losing track of where your true zero is.

I found them on eBay if anyone is interested.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nice. I saw those but wasn't sure about quality.

Ordering now.

Project is moving along.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I was able to stretch out the rifle/scope combo today. I’d like to thank Form for the suggestion on the fixed 6x.

I took it to the longest public range in Wisconsin. At 300 yards I was able to easily dial and start hitting 6” steel. I then set my sights on the 560 yard steel targets. With little effort I was able hit 12” steel. In addition, I was able to see and hit 8” steel pretty consistently. I could also pick up the 6” plate, but didn’t attempt shots.

Overall, as Form said, I feel that the Fixed 6x is very adequate for 600 yard and closer shooting. This shooting was done with a 6lb total package weight .308 win. Pretty happy!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was able to stretch out the rifle/scope combo today. I’d like to thank Form for the suggestion on the fixed 6x.

I took it to the longest public range in Wisconsin. At 300 yards I was able to easily dial and start hitting 6” steel. I then set my sights on the 560 yard steel targets. With little effort I was able hit 12” steel. In addition, I was able to see and hit 8” steel pretty consistently. I could also pick up the 6” plate, but didn’t attempt shots.

Overall, as Form said, I feel that the Fixed 6x is very adequate for 600 yard and closer shooting. This shooting was done with a 6lb total package weight .308 win. Pretty happy!

Its it’s good to hear that it is working for you. I have another 6x SS inbound as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
I got to shoot the 6x SS some today on the wife’s gun while looking for a round the gun would shoot well. Turns out her tikka shoots everything sub moa. Got to shoot out to 300 with the 6x and think it’s perfect for the ranges I’m going to shoot an animal, looking forward to shooting it farther out soon.

I like it so much that I’m keeping an eye out for deals or waiting till Black Friday. I want one on my Mesa to try against the 4-14 SHV that’s currently sitting on it.

I did buy the zero stops and was going to put them in, unfortunately I only got enough spacers to eat up 3.75 revolutions, and I’m at 5 revolutions. I’m going to email the guy and see if I can get a few more rings.
I had no problem being precise, the scope is super easy to get behind.

UHxlkLZ.jpg

First group with my wife’s tikka had me scratching my head wondering if I should have bought one

elkguide

WKR
I got to shoot the 6x SS some today on the wife’s gun while looking for a round the gun would shoot well. Turns out her tikka shoots everything sub moa. Got to shoot out to 300 with the 6x and think it’s perfect for the ranges I’m going to shoot an animal, looking forward to shooting it farther out soon.

I like it so much that I’m keeping an eye out for deals or waiting till Black Friday. I want one on my Mesa to try against the 4-14 SHV that’s currently sitting on it.

I did buy the zero stops and was going to put them in, unfortunately I only got enough spacers to eat up 3.75 revolutions, and I’m at 5 revolutions. I’m going to email the guy and see if I can get a few more rings.
I had no problem being precise, the scope is super easy to get behind.

UHxlkLZ.jpg

First group with my wife’s tikka had me scratching my head wondering if I should have bought one

Looks like you're a little bit low and to the left!

;););)