Custom long range builds kid friendly

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My kids are 7 and 9. I want to start the process of building them both long range guns. I want them both to have guns they can kill anything they want in the West (Elk,deer, and antelope) and have for the rest of their lives. I reload and will build a load for them and not worried about ammo availability. I also have a short action and a long action to donate to them.

What calibers would you go with and why?

I was thinking 28 nosler for the long action and possibly 6.5 prc, 7saum for short action but definitively open to suggestions.

elkguide

WKR
They are kids. If you want to build a couple of rifles, pick the caliber YOU want. By the time they are old enough to really enjoy, who knows what the new calibers will be.

The "NEW" 6.5PRC does look interesting today but I am still shooting a .300 Win Mag so what do I know?

rayporter

WKR
short action = 308= winner. I suppose a 7-08 would be fair but I would go 284 if I went for a 7mm.

long action =30-06 or a 7 mm. I would probably not use a 7 mag.

WRO

WKR
I'm in the process of building one for my girls, I'm building a 6.5 prc on a manners mcs-cs. The lop will go all the way down to 10.5". Proof barrel, triggertech, yada yada yada. My plan is next year to put a can on it for them.
ea74f1bfdd7cabe27b708f79e61e56c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My kids are 7 and 9. I want to start the process of building them both long range guns. I want them both to have guns they can kill anything they want in the West (Elk,deer, and antelope) and have for the rest of their lives. I reload and will build a load for them and not worried about ammo availability. I also have a short action and a long action to donate to them.

What calibers would you go with and why?

I was thinking 28 nosler for the long action and possibly 6.5 prc, 7saum for short action but definitively open to suggestions.

Travis, my son really likes shooting the 7mm with a brake. Your kids will be just fine as long as you keep the recoil down. (I know you already know that)

I would build something just like what WRO posted above. That way you and the kids can shoot it comfortably and they can adjust it as they grow. My brother did something similar last year with the 7SS Whaley built for him and it works great for his son, wife, and him to shoot and hunt with.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the process of building one for my girls, I'm building a 6.5 prc on a manners mcs-cs. The lop will go all the way down to 10.5". Proof barrel, triggertech, yada yada yada. My plan is next year to put a can on it for them.
ea74f1bfdd7cabe27b708f79e61e56c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for and looking to do. I’ve had trouble finding a stock with a LOP less that 13.5”

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travis, my son really likes shooting the 7mm with a brake. Your kids will be just fine as long as you keep the recoil down. (I know you already know that)

I would build something just like what WRO posted above. That way you and the kids can shoot it comfortably and they can adjust it as they grow. My brother did something similar last year with the 7SS Whaley built for him and it works great for his son, wife, and him to shoot and hunt with.

Thanks Justin,y 9 year old can shoot my 6.5 with brake. That stock he posted is golden, I’ll go that route for sure.
Thanks for your input.

204guy

WKR
What bolt face are the actions? Magnums I'm guessing. I'd not be looking for something that burns 85+ grains of powder for a youth.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Go to about the 6:30 mark of this video. IMO proper rifle fit is the most import part of getting kids into shooting. But its often overlooked. This is where a good chassis like XLR shines.

YouTube

[video=youtube_share;A40nr-ZsL_U]https://youtu.be/A40nr-ZsL_U[/video]

gbflyer

WKR
I had McMillan put me together a Game Scout stock with Edge fill and a spacer system. It goes from 12.5 LOP to 14. 7mm-08 on a Borden Alpine Action, Remington standard sporter contour, fluted, at 22”. It’s slightly over #8 with a 30mm Vortex Viper HS. My 11 year old son is a stout little dude but still can’t hold it off hand very well. I figure by 14 he’ll be able to handle better. Until then we get good use out of the cross sticks and or bipod.

I have a brake for it as well as a can. The brake is offensive at this barrel length with very little felt recoil reduction. It’s radial and kicks sand up in your face when prone which is not cool especially for kids. I’d recommend more of a tactical style. The can makes it kick like a .223 and sound like a .22 Mag.

WRO

WKR
Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for and looking to do. I’ve had trouble finding a stock with a LOP less that 13.5”

I really like the stock from playing with it, I'm going to end up using it too I'd bet. :)

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go to about the 6:30 mark of this video. IMO proper rifle fit is the most import part of getting kids into shooting. But its often overlooked. This is where a good chassis like XLR shines.

YouTube

[video=youtube_share;A40nr-ZsL_U]https://youtu.be/A40nr-ZsL_U[/video]

That video is awesome! Thanks for he info... it’s a better price than the McMillan too! I don’t know though, I’m not sure I can have my kids in a chassis rifle before I am in one;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
That’s the beauty of a chassis you both can fit it to you weather kids need a 10” LOP or some gorilla needs a 14”+ LOP it’s sinply a quick change to adjust that and it fits you and back to your kids

+1 on a chassis build!!! my 2 oldest are both shooting a chassis build. my 13 year old daughter has a 6.5 Creedmoor and my 9 year old son is shooting a 308. currently building each of them a 300 wm in a chassis also. the fit is key to them having fun shooting!!!

JP100

WKR
Chassis a great idea, rifle fit is one of the biggest issues I see with kids shooting, really makes them struggle with good sight picture.

I will be staying well away from magnums for my kids.

I would be getting a .243 or 6.5x55/.260/6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08

Kids need it to be fun to shoot their guns, they dont want recoil or noise. I started shooting(first big rifle) a .270 with a shortish barrel, I was a small kid and it was horrid. I swapped to a .243 and I was way more confident(still am) and had less wounding etc with a smaller gun. Everyone is different, but every person ive seen shots better with a smaller gun.

I get you may have other rifles, but I dont think kids will need/enjoy a big magnum, regardless of a break or not.

Ive guided a few kids on their first animals/deer, we use either a .223 or my .243
Never had a wounded animal.

I am probably going to go with .308 for my kids, as you can down load them easily and have a massive range of projectiles.
Maybe a .300 mag and down load it might be a goer?

A .243 in the right hands will kill just as good as a 'magnum'.

If YOU want to build a big bomber, go for it.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
The 7 SAUM gets my vote. With the 7 SAUM, you get excellent BC bullets. You also get great bullet weight for big game hunting. They make them light enough for fast flat rounds if that's what you're after, and heavy enough for elk. You can push those same bullets damn near 7 mag speeds, with half the recoil. Plus they just seem easy to load for. I tried a bunch of loads, and had many promising loads with almost every recipe I tried. The accuracy is incredible, even to 1000 yards. One other reason, is brass life. I'm on 7 reloads with some of my brass, and it's going strong. I've heard of some getting 15 reloads from their brass. Plus not a lot of people can say they have a 7 saum, and that's worth something. Lol.

Edit: Another close 2nd would be the 280AI. If you research the 280AI, and the 7 SAUM, they're almost ballistic twins. Either one of those would be an awesome youth rifle that you could shoot the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Fire_9

WKR
For now I’d have it chambered in a 6 or 6.5 with a brake. Make it enjoyable to shoot and by the time they’re able to handle something larger it should be time for a new barrel anyways. At that point they can step up to something bigger