Custom rifle makers

gabenzeke

WKR
Supposing a guy wanted to get a custom rifle built and stay at or under the 4 k mark, what would you guys suggest? I've been in contact with snowy mountain, and they've really got me considering going with a 300 Norma caliber or 28 nosler. I've gone back and forth between custom and buying a stock rifle and slowly upgrading since I can find Tikka rifles for pretty cheap and also came across a real good deal on a new 300 rem ultra mag long range rifle. But as I understand it, that bolt face won't accommodate a 300 Norma. So now I'm considering just doing full custom. Snowy mountain was a touch out of my reach....so I could save up and go with them or try to find something for slightly less. What say you?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
There are a lot of things to consider in your decision. Are you dead set on certain things? There are a few rifles such as Fierce, with a .5moa guarantee, and Christensen that will likely do all you need and more for less. Of the two I would choose Fierce. If there are certain features you must have then you may have to build a custom.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
4k is without scope. Muzzle break is a must with threads for future use with a suppressor. Also needs to be a reasonable weight for mountain hunts.

B-P-UU

FNG
I wouldn't build a norma mag on a rem or rem clone.. most Smith's won't either. Should be stepping up to a reciever with appropriate bolt diameter and BF.

Give TS Customs a call.. they work closely with Lone Peak (awesome titanium offerings) and can give you better advice than me regarding caliber choice with respect to build weight. Big magnums that are light weight aren't alot of fun in my experience.

What is your goal weight?

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Don't have a specific goal weight...but maybe 10 pounds if that's reasonable

Dhbwa

WKR
Hill Country Rifles.
Live Oak Accuracy (Scott Weichel)

Lots of good options for that much.... BTW - no way I’d do a Norma...

ckleeves

WKR
If you source all your own components and do a little work yourself you could come in under 4K easily. Have a good smith chamber it and do your muzzle break. Start looking at parts and pricing things out. Just for example:
Barrel: 350-750 depending on if you want steel or carbon, fluted etc.
Action: Gunwerks GRB are on sale for 750.00
Trigger: 130.00-+ depending on what you want.
Muzzle break: MBM 77.00
Bottom metal: 200.00 +-
Stock: 750.00 easily gets you most Manners or McMillans depending on what options you add.
200.00 for Cerakote
400.00+- for a smith to chamber and install muzzle break.
Add 150.00. -+ if you have him bed it.
3007.00 total. Add 400.00 for a carbon barrel.
Take off 150.00 if you bed it yourself, there are plenty of deals on stocks where you could save another 150.00 easily. You can use take off Remington bottom metal and save another 100.00

If your not in a hurry and bargain hunt there is really no reason a guy couldn’t put together a nice custom for 2500.00.

carter33

WKR
I recently put my order in with Rbros. The cost may just be a tad over the price mark you’re trying to hit (not by much though) but from my conversations with the owner/smith he can do just about anything you want. I have only found good reviews on the outfit but my rifle is stil in the process of being built so no first hand experience yet. Also having to wait a few months between the down payment and making the final payment when the rifle is complete makes swallowing the pill of paying that much seem a little easier. I went with a .300 win mag with 24 in barrel outfitted with a manners eh2 stock and APA micro bastard brake. The rifle bare should come in around 6.7lbs.

rayporter

WKR
after some mental gymnastics my guess was just under 3000 letting billy stevens put it together. last year i put together a competition benchrest rifle on a panda action for under 2500$. he has done 4 for me in the last 15 yrs.

ckleeves pretty much nails it. i could argue some but like he says, if you take some time and search you can find ways to get the price down.
stocks can be a hang up- barrels and actions can be picked up all over and billy will put it all together for $650.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
RBros is definitely worth looking at, I can't say enough good things about Travis, the rifles he builds and his service. I recently had a pretty bad experience with another gunsmith who I won't bash on here, long story short Travis bailed me out with what turned out to be a better gun and its absolutely shooting lights out. My dad also just got a rifle built by him (this is the reason i got in touch with Travis) and same thing, its perfect and shooting lights out. He's easy to get a hold of, answers phone calls and emails right away which is more than I can say for many gunsmiths I have dealt with.

wildcat33

WKR
An idea Ive been messing with, and it may work for you depending on caliber selection, is a Remage build. Ive got a cost sheet going right now and Im at about 2100 for a full build off a trued rem700 and a mcmillan stock. You could pimp out your build with a bighorn action (for an extra 800$) and then have some flexibility with interchangeable bolt faces and barrels.

On the other end, if youre going full custom, blow it out and get a smith to do it all for you. Ive used LRI and they are expensive but on top of the game.

Go with a custom barreled action from Kiote Rifles or Patriot Valley arms. Built on an ARC Nucleus, Zermatt Origin, or Kelbly Atlas for 1500 (steel barrel) or 1850 (Proof barrel). PVA does complete rifles for cheap too. And you won't wait a year for a gunsmith to do an 8 hour job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Go with a custom barreled action from Kiote Rifles or Patriot Valley arms. Built on an ARC Nucleus, Zermatt Origin, or Kelbly Atlas for 1500 (steel barrel) or 1850 (Proof barrel). PVA does complete rifles for cheap too. And you won't wait a year for a gunsmith to do an 8 hour job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You do realize the only reason there is a wait is because 100 other guys are in front of you? The hours to do the job are not what’s creating the delay. To me the guy that can do it now just doesn’t have any business or backlog, that says something.

I’ll second TS Customs, also the action can make a big difference in overall price as they vary greatly in price.

gbflyer

WKR
Jim Borden, Borden Accuracy. You won’t find better customer service on the planet and his work is unimpeachable.

Battleguy

Banned
Charlie Sisk of siskguns.com build some of the finest hunting rifles made. I have seen his work and how they shoot. There is little doubt of the quality of materials and the craftsmanship going into their rifles.. Also Kerry O'Day of "MatchGrade Arms" is an excellent builder of hunting rifles.. He is in Houston, Texas.. He used to do a fair amount of my work>>> I can attest to his quality..

I highly doubt most, if any, of these companies are cranking out 100s of rifles per year. They're posting every one they finish on social media, and it isn't that many. The differences are 1. Some guys have the money to keep parts in stock, so they can start immediately.(Piercision, PVA) Component wait times are often months for actions, barrels, and some stocks. 2. Automation. All of the precision, much less time. Multiple machines working at once, with one operator running them. (PVA automates a lot). Just two factors, component supply and automation, can make the difference between 6 month-1 year lead and weeks. Pierce's lead times are in weeks, not months. He's turning out a lot of rifles and isn't cutting corners.
Not tooting anyone's horn in particular, but waiting a year for a rifle is ridiculous. Guys who are smart enough to get it done fast (assuming same quality) are on another level. Studying/working in manufacturing engineering, it's hard for me to ignore the difference.

WKR
I'd buy a Cooper, add good mounts and a Nightforce or SWFA and start shooting. Personally I favor 7mm Remington Magnums and have no use for brakes. I would thread for a suppressor. This one has a brake, but still gives you an idea. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779516274