Brake to reduce/eliminate Muzzle Flip for 300 win mag?

carter33

WKR
Sodbuster thanks for the pictures. Going to copy you and give the lil bastard a shot. I agree it’s not perfectly streamlined but it definitely does not look bad. Plus I love that the gen 2 does not need to be timed when you take it on and off. I may also throw a suppressor on it on occasion.

Lawnboi

WKR
For a slim barrel there's the micro bastard as well. I have one on a mesa in gen 2. It's fairly streamline.

Works good. Pisses off the neighbors at the range.

OP, what rifle are you putting this on and what is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle?

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. Seems the primary two items that will impact this is the angle and size of ports-brakes that direct gases rearward with at an angle up perform best. Take a look at the features of the brakes that performed well in this test: Muzzle Brakes: Ability To Stay On Target - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

The ports on top make sense for reducing muzzle rise but ive seen slow mo videos of sporter contour barrels in magnum calibers with top ports bending the barrel significantly at the shot from all the downward force.

Lawnboi

WKR
gzZgrkc.jpg

Here's a micro bastard gen II on a sporter contour. APA reccomended against getting the larger brakes on such a thin barrel.

Snowy Mountain Rifles

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I would love suggestions on this. Most muzzle breaks center around "recoil reduction" discussion. I am less concerned with recoil reduction as I am with keeping the target in the scope through out the shot cycle. I have hear that Falkor defence makes a break specifically for this, but the specs say it weights 13 oz?

Other research I have seen about muzzle rise focus on smaller calibers like the 6.5 or 308, but I cant find anthing reguarding muzzle flip.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

We have been building our same break design for 6 years now. We like to emphasize three points with this break. 1st is "muzzle flip" which is greatly reduced by the break helping you stay in your scope and on target. 2nd is greatly reduced recoil which is simply a nice feature for shooting. This also helps you stay in your scope and on target. third is that we only build our breaks with side ports. This allows you to lay down and shoot with any kind of organic material around you i.e. gravel, snow, ect and it will not blow this material all over the place like a radial break will do.

OP
Cactus kid
OP, what rifle are you putting this on and what is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle?

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. Seems the primary two items that will impact this is the angle and size of ports-brakes that direct gases rearward with at an angle up perform best. Take a look at the features of the brakes that performed well in this test: Muzzle Brakes: Ability To Stay On Target - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

The ports on top make sense for reducing muzzle rise but ive seen slow mo videos of sporter contour barrels in magnum calibers with top ports bending the barrel significantly at the shot from all the downward force.

The rifle is a sako a7 long range; the barrel is the same as a tikka varmint contour, about .875'' at the muzzle on a 26" barrel.

IVe seen that well written article on PRB.com; he was testing a 6.5 creedmor I believe. I wonder if you would need more downward force if the caliber was a heavier caliber.

OP
Cactus kid
We have been building our same break design for 6 years now. We like to emphasize three points with this break. 1st is "muzzle flip" which is greatly reduced by the break helping you stay in your scope and on target. 2nd is greatly reduced recoil which is simply a nice feature for shooting. This also helps you stay in your scope and on target. third is that we only build our breaks with side ports. This allows you to lay down and shoot with any kind of organic material around you i.e. gravel, snow, ect and it will not blow this material all over the place like a radial break will do.

Thanks for the response; how well do your breaks work with the magnum calibers?

ofl0926

WKR

Would someone have to ship their rifle to you for you to install your break on a different manufacturer rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Gunwerks Directional Muzzle Brake is what you are looking for.

This brake looks pretty similar in concept to the APA gen 2 stuff. Details on Gunwerks site is nil. Of the APA brakes, which does it compare to in size? Friction lock design looks interesting.

Sodbuster

WKR
carter33
Sodbuster thanks for the pictures. Going to copy you and give the lil bastard a shot. I agree it’s not perfectly streamlined but it definitely does not look bad. Plus I love that the gen 2 does not need to be timed when you take it on and off. I may also throw a suppressor on it on occasion.

The self timing feature drew me in as well. Suppressors are the future. Reduction of sound and recoil from one unit.

Sodbuster

WKR
Options galore, man. The offset alignment feature may help you too.
Good luck and post back once you are set up.

spaniel

FNG
Nobody threw the Heathen brake out there? Self timed and read ports protecting the shooter more than others. I shoot one on my 338 Edge, I'll say it's not the choice if your absolute goal is recoil reduction, but if you want sufficient recoil reduction while balancing reduction of concussion and blast on the shooter it is the top option IMHO.