Brake to reduce/eliminate Muzzle Flip for 300 win mag?

I would love suggestions on this. Most muzzle breaks center around "recoil reduction" discussion. I am less concerned with recoil reduction as I am with keeping the target in the scope through out the shot cycle. I have hear that Falkor defence makes a break specifically for this, but the specs say it weights 13 oz?

Other research I have seen about muzzle rise focus on smaller calibers like the 6.5 or 308, but I cant find anthing reguarding muzzle flip.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Sodbuster

WKR
Barrett Fieldcraft with 18 inch barrel.
Warm handholds and the barrel would rise quickly (flip) enough that I could not see impacts.
APA Fat Bastard now lets me watch my strikes.
Weighs less than a suppressor.

rayporter

WKR
I have several brakes, most just built for the rifle. one is on a 300 win mag. [ I think it is a vias] but the rifle is a tad heavy.

because the 300 is heavy I can see bullet trace and impact every time. but without the brake it is hard to do this.

all the brakes reduce flip a significant amount and I see little difference in them.
if the rifle is really light wt. there is only so much you can do.

OP
Cactus kid
Warm handholds and the barrel would rise quickly (flip) enough that I could not see impacts.

are you shooting a 300 win mag in that rifle?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I would love suggestions on this. Most muzzle breaks center around "recoil reduction" discussion. I am less concerned with recoil reduction as I am with keeping the target in the scope through out the shot cycle. I have hear that Falkor defence makes a break specifically for this, but the specs say it weights 13 oz?

Other research I have seen about muzzle rise focus on smaller calibers like the 6.5 or 308, but I cant find anthing reguarding muzzle flip.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Gunwerks Directional Muzzle Brake is what you are looking for.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
and so it shall be. I seem to put more weight in your opinion than I care to admit. Thanks!

Well... caveat emptor and all that.

But, regardless of other things Gunwerks does have solid engineering and design behind a lot of their products.

Sodbuster

WKR
Cactus kid

are you shooting a 300 win mag in that rifle?

Sorry, I am shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor. Using my light weight rifle with a stiff load as an example.

I did have a sendero 300 Win with a radial brake that seems to work but that rifle was so heavy I think it would have just sat there at the shot anyway.

But, very soon I will look for another break for my PRC will check out the Gunwerks model as well.

Last edited:

Kilo184

FNG
Look up Little Chubby and Big Chubby at ratworxusa.com. My friend designed this brake and Ratworx manufacturers it. Several of us have it on our .308’s and .300wm and it works awesome. The ports let the gases blow out at an angle to let you stay on target.
There are also YouTube videos about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 300 WM has a muzzle brake. When my technique isn't spot on and I fail to manage recoil properly the muzzle still jumps.

I have had them on two different rifles. I got one from Ross Schuler for a sako a7 and my Christensen Mesa came with one on it. I know not on the same guns but the one from Ross seemed to do a better job. That was side and top ported. The one on the Mesa is radial, no idea why they put a radial on a hunting gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR

Is the fat bastard not a monster on the end of the Fieldcraft? I just purchased an 18in Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor and wanted to get the micro bastard but they don’t sell it in the 5/8x24. I have been a bit concerned about going up to even the lil bastard but think that will be what I try.

Sodbuster

WKR
carter33

Is the fat bastard not a monster on the end of the Fieldcraft? I just purchased an 18in Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor and wanted to get the micro bastard but they don’t sell it in the 5/8x24. I have been a bit concerned about going up to even the lil bastard but think that will be what I try.

Sorry, yes gen 2 little bastard in black nitride. The thread size is what made me up as well.

I like the design of the Christensen Arms model.Guys with more experience on brakes than myself seem to like them.

Sodbuster

WKR
7e19b71b4027f27716c734ca4e1cb169.jpg
2bba12d89686acf41cdefa25361a2319.jpg

Slimline, no.
Effective for me,yes.