Feeling Comfortable Hunting at 600yds and In

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so for next season, I really want to be able to feel comfortable hunting big game at 600 yards.

What are some good steps to get there?

I believe I have the equipment necessary. I’ll have both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300 Win Mag. Both will have the Vortex Razor LH 3-15x scope.

Is it just a matter of shooting from that distance and knowing ballistics?

Certain number of rounds at each yardage before going live?

Is it worth taking a class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Lots of practice well beyond 600 yards, if you want to be able to reliably take game out to 600. Get off the bench and shoot different positions. Get comfortable shooting prone using a bipod. Shoot on days with poor (windy) conditions too.
The wind is the most difficult aspect of longer range shooting for me, and I suspect others as well.
I focus less on shooting groups and focus more on hitting my POA, especially my cold bore shot of the day.
I would think a good class would help, but I have never attended one.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your boat at the end of last season after watching a nice bull at 650 for 30 mins. My goal was similar to yours.

With advice of those here, I started with a Tikka T3X lite in 6.5 Creed and a Bushnell LRHS 3-12. I quickly made friends with a number of guys in the long range match game in my area. I ended up shooting 15 matches this last year, burning through a couple barrels, placing pretty well at the first PRS match here in Montana and learning far more than I realized I didn’t know.

It all led up to this last weekend. I went on a solo antelope mission to fill my two tags. I shot my buck at 655 and my doe at 486. After the thousands of rounds I’ve shot this year, I was just on auto pilot. All the details are second nature now and I was just able to enjoy the shots seeing both impacts send their shockwaves across the hides of the goats.

There’s no shortcuts, everyone always says it and yet people still try and find an easier way to get there. Not saying that’s what your doing but just to make the point.

Rounds down range and a mentor were the two biggest factors for me.

davsco

WKR
look for some prs (precision rifle series) matches, great practice and way to get lots of tips and tricks.

and yes, shoot your rifle & load(s) out to at least 600 and see how you, the rifle and the ammo all do. other than the wind, it really isn't that hard if you can get a solid rest and a super smooth trigger pull.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok, so for next season, I really want to be able to feel comfortable hunting big game at 600 yards.

What are some good steps to get there?

I believe I have the equipment necessary. I’ll have both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .300 Win Mag. Both will have the Vortex Razor LH 3-15x scope.

Is it just a matter of shooting from that distance and knowing ballistics?

Certain number of rounds at each yardage before going live?

Is it worth taking a class?

Where are you located?

Mt Al

WKR
I was in your boat at the end of last season after watching a nice bull at 650 for 30 mins. My goal was similar to yours.

With advice of those here, I started with a Tikka T3X lite in 6.5 Creed and a Bushnell LRHS 3-12. I quickly made friends with a number of guys in the long range match game in my area. I ended up shooting 15 matches this last year, burning through a couple barrels, placing pretty well at the first PRS match here in Montana and learning far more than I realized I didn’t know.

It all led up to this last weekend. I went on a solo antelope mission to fill my two tags. I shot my buck at 655 and my doe at 486. After the thousands of rounds I’ve shot this year, I was just on auto pilot. All the details are second nature now and I was just able to enjoy the shots seeing both impacts send their shockwaves across the hides of the goats.

There’s no shortcuts, everyone always says it and yet people still try and find an easier way to get there. Not saying that’s what your doing but just to make the point.

Rounds down range and a mentor were the two biggest factors for me.

^^This!

Imagine the rounds, gas, barrels burned to get proficient at range. Takes time and money, lots of it. A few years ago I practiced a ton at 530 and closer (lame azz, non-cool Nikon BDC scope, Tikka T3, 7mm-08, using the circles vs. clicking/turning), but never at a range after it was dialed in. Helped a ton to get off the bench.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Because pics are always fun...

tEM8r00.jpg

g30KgpF.jpg

l07Pjnt.jpg

That's my original 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on a T3 action I got from eurooptic on closeout but my smith reamed it out to a 6.5x55 wildcat. Basically a Creedmoor with 10 more grains of powder pushing the 147 ELD-M's at 2850. Same 3-12 LRHS scope and I have the Thunderbeast muzzle break on there, still waiting on my background check to get my ultra 7 to screw on it.

OP
K

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, so you really did go down a rabbit hole!

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, so you really did go down a rabbit hole!

Oh heck yeah, be careful, it's addicting!

Here's the original T3X action I bought that's since been converted to a full blown match rifle. Stuck with the Creedmoor through last season but I'm making the switch to a 6x47 lapua for next year.

5jhtN5A.jpg

Oh heck yeah, be careful, it's addicting!

Here's the original T3X action I bought that's since been converted to a full blown match rifle. Stuck with the Creedmoor through last season but I'm making the switch to a 6x47 lapua for next year.

5jhtN5A.jpg

I might have missed it in another post, but what bottom metal are you using?

For the OP, I'm in a similar boat in wanting to get better at distances out to 600 or so for game. I'm going to try to get some rounds through a chrono to help get accurate data from my ballistic app. After that, my plan is just to go shoot at varying distances in positions other than prone on flat ground.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big fan of the .300 Win for big Whitetail deer. In Tx it is overkill if there is such a thing? When I hunt N. OK and KS the .300 stops em where they stand. I have taken deer to 599 yards using Nikon's BDC reticle scopes. One year I had my buck down and looked up and saw 2 doe new a pump house that I had ranged at 599 yards. I shot the first one and the 2nd just stood there, 3 deer in 5 min., about right for KS. Using the circles is quick, easy and accurate. I know some guys don't like them and that's ok, but trying one out, dialing it in using Spot On will make a believer out of you.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I might have missed it in another post, but what bottom metal are you using?

For the OP, I'm in a similar boat in wanting to get better at distances out to 600 or so for game. I'm going to try to get some rounds through a chrono to help get accurate data from my ballistic app. After that, my plan is just to go shoot at varying distances in positions other than prone on flat ground.

That's my match rifle so it's got the mini chassis that Manner's gets from Badger I believe. Uses AICS mags, great for matches but to heavy in my opinion for hunting. My match rifle now is sitting right about 14 pounds which is actually quite light for most guys serious in the match game.

koppertop

FNG
I’m in the same boat too. Grew up back east where 100yds is a LONG shot...

It sounds like step one may be to get a decent scope that I can dial? The LRHS is a bit steep on price for me, is my next best bet something by swfa?

I have three rifles I could use for practice: m77 280, m77 243, and m700 243. All three are reasonably accurate with my handloads. Should I just pick one of the 243’s and shoot a bunch once I get a scope I can dial?

I’ll likely be on my own learning. Should I get a steel plate and just start shooting from field positions as I move back? For prone practice should I start with a bipod or simply use my pack? Seems like most of my shot opportunities will be sitting with crossed sticks or prone off pack or bipod. Thus far I have only been using my pack to save some weight.

I’m mostly a bow hunter and prefer to get close, but when getting close isn’t an option I still want to put meat in the freezer! Right now 300 yards is the outer edge of my comfort zone, I’d dig it if I could be proficient and confident at 500-600 yards.

Great thread. Thanks to all the experienced folks for the suggestions!

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat too. Grew up back east where 100yds is a LONG shot...

It sounds like step one may be to get a decent scope that I can dial? The LRHS is a bit steep on price for me, is my next best bet something by swfa?

I have three rifles I could use for practice: m77 280, m77 243, and m700 243. All three are reasonably accurate with my handloads. Should I just pick one of the 243’s and shoot a bunch once I get a scope I can dial?

I’ll likely be on my own learning. Should I get a steel plate and just start shooting from field positions as I move back? For prone practice should I start with a bipod or simply use my pack? Seems like most of my shot opportunities will be sitting with crossed sticks or prone off pack or bipod. Thus far I have only been using my pack to save some weight.

I’m mostly a bow hunter and prefer to get close, but when getting close isn’t an option I still want to put meat in the freezer! Right now 300 yards is the outer edge of my comfort zone, I’d dig it if I could be proficient and confident at 500-600 yards.

Great thread. Thanks to all the experienced folks for the suggestions!

I found my LRHS on the classifieds here for $750 basically new in box. You’ll quickly fall in love with that little scope and it’s worth it to save up for it. I don’t have any first hand experience with SWFA’s.

Pick which rifle you can get ammo for cheapest. The 243’s will burn their barrels out faster but if you’re shooting enough to burn a barrel that’s a good thing. Hopefully you learned something in that many rounds!

FYI, for anyone that is shooting their rifle at 100 yards and getting muzzle velocity from a chronograph and you think that’s enough to put into your solver then go shoot animals, you’re wrong. You have to proof your dope! The chrono data and BC printed on the box is just a starting point. Every barrel effects the bullet differently and it’s BC can be higher or lower from each gun. You adjust the BC and muzzle velocity in the solver until it lines up with your actual dope.

OP
K

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Do you recommend a certain ballistics program? I’ve got one from Hornady that has the eld-x im currently shooting, but I imagine there are better options.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I use an app called Mil Dot Ballistics. It works for me but they’ll all work assuming you manually adjust all the variables including BC.

You can definitely get by with one of the free ones.

Do a little research on density altitude. It accounts for elevation, pressure, temperature and humidity. You record your dope and input you DA then when you are hunting/shooting at a different DA you just input the DA in the solver and you dope will still line up.

As a few other have said if you can do a couple of PRS style matches it would help a good bit.

Wind will be your biggest enemy at distance. Practice reading wind, wind direction, and shooting in it.

If you have a consistent load and know your speed, the adjustment you will need to make for elevation is the easiest part of the equation. Wind is going to be what throws a good shot into the guts or makes a miss in front of the animal, etc.

As other have said as well, practice in positions you will actual shoot in. You wont often shoot an animal sitting at a bench with a sand bag.

If you want to be comfortable at 600 also as others have said I would practice farther. I'm not a big archery guy, I can decently hit at 50 yards with my broadheads but I'm not going to shoot an animal at that distance yet.

If you get to a point you can consistently hit let's say a 6" steel at 600 yards(that's 1 moa if I'm not messing that up) I would feel pretty confident about taking a shot at an animal at that distance.

Dry firing can also help a lot. It is boring but you can do it at home. This can also help you figure out how to get more stable in those funky positions you may encounter in the field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk