6.5 PRC Revisited

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
I am I the third firing of factory Hornady brass and it is holding pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Those things definitely don't have to be problems with a 7 SAUM but figured I'd point out some areas where the PRC is a slight design improvement. I have a 6.5 SAUM and a 7 SAUM build in the works so I definitely think they have a place.

The 300 PRC seems like a really nice case! Hornady is killing it with these cartridge designs. Creedmoor improved on the 260, PRC addresses SAUM shortcomings, and 300 PRC is a nice update in the 300 WM case capacity realm. The new ones just need Peterson, Alpha, Lapua, etc to come out with brass. I have no desire to build anything to be fed primarily with Hornady brass.

How did the creed improve on the 260? I haven't found any shortcomings in the SAUM for the prc to overcome. What are your build plans for your 7 SAUM? Mine is a factory Remington Model Seven SS with a factory 22" barrel. It shoots 160 grain Partitions very accurately at 2960fps. It's shooting 140 grain Partitions around 3100fps. It could go faster, but I like it where it is.

How did the creed improve on the 260?

Designed to use long high BC bullets and seat them ideally while still fitting in factory short action magazines. Has a longer neck. SAAMI chamber spec has more freebore for high BC bullets. It has steeper shoulders resulting in less brass flow and case stretching. Designing them this way resulted in factory ammo and rifle offerings that get more performance out of the case capacity / bore diameter ratio.

What are your build plans for your 7 SAUM?
Tikka Action as a long action, Hells Canyon Carbon barrel at 22", 8 twist, throated for 175 ELDx, Kiwi Customs Long Range Hunter stock.

Those are solid #'s you're getting for a 22" barrel and short magazine. I'd be content there too.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Designed to use long high BC bullets and seat them ideally while still fitting in factory short action magazines. Has a longer neck. SAAMI chambers come with more freebore for long, high BC bullets. It has steeper shoulders resulting in less brass flow and case stretching. Designing them this way resulted in factory ammo and rifle offerings that get more performance out of the case capacity / bore diameter ratio.

Tikka Action as a long action, Hells Canyon Carbon barrel at 22", 8 twist, throated for 175 ELDx, Kiwi Customs Long Range Hunter stock.

Those are solid #'s you're getting for a 22" barrel and short magazine. I'd be content there too.

Good luck with your build. Post it up when you get it finished, if you don't mind. Yeah, I run everything at 2.80" COAL. Did you look into the 7 SS instead of the 7 SAUM? It's supposed to be an even hotroddier version of the SAUM. Longer necks and longer bullet use in short actions are some of its pros. Rich Sherman is the guy that developed it and he's selling brass for it. It's getting a pretty good following it seems in some places.

Good luck with your build. Post it up when you get it finished, if you don't mind. Yeah, I run everything at 2.80" COAL. Did you look into the 7 SS instead of the 7 SAUM? It's supposed to be an even hotroddier version of the SAUM. Longer necks and longer bullet use in short actions are some of its pros. Rich Sherman is the guy that developed it and he's selling brass for it. It's getting a pretty good following it seems in some places.

Thanks man. I’m familiar with the SS variants, neat design. They are basically all of the things I just mentioned about creed vs 260 when compared to SAUM but a saum already has 30 degree shoulders and limited taper to start. I don’t have enough time to keep my rifles fed as is so I’m avoiding any more wildcats. The main benefit of the SS to me is feeding from a short action which isn’t an issue with a tikka action.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thanks man. I’m familiar with the SS variants, neat design. They are basically all of the things I just mentioned about creed vs 260 when compared to SAUM but a saum already has 30 degree shoulders and limited taper to start. I don’t have enough time to keep my rifles fed as is so I’m avoiding any more wildcats. The main benefit of the SS to me is feeding from a short action which isn’t an issue with a tikka action.

Yeah, I thought that it seemed like a cool design. I didn’t think it was enough difference in what I had to fool with the brass deal.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Two groups with the lrx.
This was the better at .080 of the two.
To be fair the barrel is dirty so clean up and try again.
I know there is more velocity with the 150 and the 127.
Probably try to max it out then look at accuracy again.
cf9541fd49ebcf4b52acb6d16b5c8407.jpg

ckleeves
Do you happen to know what the freebore was on the reamer that was used on your build? I think there have been some changes on reamer specs since the birth of the PRC.

This barrel was chambered using the SAAMI spec reamer that Hornady recommends. Freebore on this reamer is .188.

Last edited:
OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
These are getting ready for loading number four.
a0c551689ce419919106c1b7b61e7238.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
jmcmath

What is your load for the 127 lrx? Really interested as I think I’m going to try the 124 Hammer Hunter

The 150's are in pretty good shape but I have to know if there is more.Also, not
sure yet if it will hold up on a shoulder shot.

The lrx will be wicked if I can find an accurate 3200 fps load.I looked at the hammers, they should work well. There are so many good .264 bullets available it is like a candy store.

Last edited:
So you're at 3150 with the 127LRX 70 shots in? Not bad. Makes me hopeful for the 124 @3200 since it has a bit less bearing surface. What is your freebore?

Glad no one seems to have 26 ever lol

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
jmcmath

So you're at 3150 with the 127LRX 70 shots in? Not bad. Makes me hopeful for the 124 @3200 since it has a bit less bearing surface. What is your freebore?

Glad no one seems to have 26 ever lol

Yup, I should know this weekend on some max velocities.
5R rifling 1-8 twist, SS, Bartlein #13 Rem Var
SAAMI spec reamer that Hornady recommends. Freebore on this reamer is .188.

- - - Updated - - -

Down to my last two pounds of Reloader 26 and everyone seems to be out. Midway is stating no backorders.
Don't want to start over but have options.

Looking for a custom long range stick after a recent desert Muley hunt where shots were 4-700 yards. I’ve been reading everything I can and 6.5 prc seems to be the long range hunting ticket but since I don’t reload what are the chances of it fading away for some new cartridge.

For a dedication long range gun I would be more likely to look at 30 cal. Personally. 300 win mag

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
For a dedication long range gun I would be more likely to look at 30 cal. Personally. 300 win mag

I agree. My 6.5 is for muledeer size animals and down.If I want tp practice at longer ranges I have the right bullets and scope to go far.When I go after Elk it is with a 30 cal.

DDRH65PRC

FNG
Any updates with your 127 LRX loads? I'm planning to use RL23 with 147gr ELDM and the 127LRX.

Will be for a Seeking Havak Bravo

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
No new 127 loads from me yet. Got off track with fast twist 22-250's and long range rimfires.

Anyone else?