Culmination of a Year of the Long Range Pursuit

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I've told the story a couple times now but almost exactly a year ago, with my trusty 270 in hand, I watched a pretty good looking 5x5 bull feed on a hillside opposite me at 650 yards. He fed there for half an hour while I tried to close the gap but with all the open space between us I couldn't get into what I felt was my effective range before he decided he was full and headed up over the saddle to meet his buddies to bed up on private ground.

That was my only real opportunity at a bull last year and my tag ended up going unfilled. That one experience set me on a path to build my shooting skills and extend my effective range. I took the advice of many on this forum and got a Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creed and an LRHS 3-12. That led me to a great group of long range shooters in my area, which turned into shooting many field practical/PRS type matches and sending somewhere in the neighborhood of 4500 rounds down range in the last year.

By the time rifle season rolled around I'd already had my smith spin up a 6.5x55 wildcat on a T3 action and I'd worked up a load pushing the 147 ELD-M's at 2850. Fortunately I'd shot a bull during archery season while my brother was in Montana hunting with me so my rifle season was set to revolve around my 2 antelope tags and general deer tag.

Archery Bull pic for fun
rv77jCoh.jpg

I headed off east the weekend after the opener in search of a buck and doe antelope. I was nervous because the 700 district got hit pretty hard last winter and I hadn't seen much in the way of antelope on previous trips. I ended up doing a big loop and found antelope just about everywhere I went in addition to some new mule deer spots.

Day one I found a good sized herd of Antelope with a good buck a few miles from the truck and they bedded up at 990 yards from me. The wind was quartering from over my left shoulder at about 15 mph so I decided to wait them out as I was close to a watering hole that I figured they'd come back to but just as I settled in to wait them out, another small group of goats came over the ridge to my right with a little buck right at 700. While I built my position and confirmed my dope, he moved in to 655 where I pulled the trigger. The first shot went through both shoulders and the buck sat back on his haunches. I hit him again and he dropped.

My favorite part, which I've never experience on an animal before, was watching the trace of the bullet and seeing the impact send shockwaves across the hide. All the practice had paid off and I was truly able to enjoy the shot.

NmKx3e2h.jpg

I drove a few hundred more miles that weekend exploring new country and ended up taking a doe at 486 which I forgot to take pictures of.

Since then I've been chasing mulies pretty hard hoping to find a mature buck.

I had a great time hunting with some new and old friends. I saw tons of bucks but none that had me ready to fill my last tag and end my season.

dMOcTRNh.jpg

hPhXhn8h.jpg

IYirYOGh.jpg

NbhqghXh.jpg

Cue this past weekend. The rut was rolling but the season was running short. I'd made plans to hunt the weekend with a few buddies. My friend Rob and I were going to team up. He had a deer and elk tag left so we were hoping for an elk for him and I was still holding out for a mature buck. Friday afternoon was a bit of a bust as a weather system moved in and we had little more than 100 yards of visibility through the clouds and snow from the top of the ridge that we'd climbed.

We woke on Saturday morning to temps around 10 and sketchy roads so we took our time on the drive. We actually tried a new spot to both of us. We climbed a ridge to a glassing spot where we were able to look over a large area. I set up the 15's and we enjoyed watching all the deer as the rut was in full effect. Things settled down around noon but we continued to glass and tried to stay warm while waiting for the action to pick back up as sunset approached.

It was about 3:45. I was scanning through the area with the 15's again, having not seen a deer for a few hours we figured it was just a matter of time before they started moving again. As I got to a nice looking bench that I'd had a good feeling about all day, I see 3 does feeding out from the trees followed by a buck. All I could say to Rob was, "Good buck" over and over while I collapsed my tripod and prepped it to use as front support for my rifle.

I got my position dialed in, rifle locked into the tripod with a pack for rear support. I looked over the buck again though I knew this was a buck I'd be happy to fill my tag with, got a range, dialed my dope and waited for a good shot opportunity. The buck was originally at 830 yards but he and the does were feeding straight towards us and I didn't want to take a frontal at that range. He followed one of the does behind a tree and as they came out from behind it he was at 770 and quartered slightly towards me. I adjusted my dope, settled my crosshairs and sent my shot. I was able to see the impact and it was higher than I wanted and hit him in the spine. I realized I hadn't adjusted the DA in my solver since early that morning and it had come up considerably as the day had warmed making my bullet shoot flatter than I'd anticipated.

The buck had dropped and slid in to 730 but was still trying to get up with his front legs. I adjusted dope again, accounting for the change in DA this time and sent another round which finished him instantly this time. The great thing about this story was Rob was the one who was with me last year when I wasn't able to shoot the bull at 650. It felt so good to have all the hard work pay off on a nice mature buck.

9xjd4rOh.jpg

A bonus for the day, while walking up to my buck and the sun setting, another nice 3x3 with a couple kickers and a triple eye-guard walked out at 150 yards and Rob filled his tag as well.

It was a fantastic end to the season as we quartered both of our bucks in the dark and walked out with heavy packs in some pretty heavy griz country giving us another great story to embellish when we tell our grandkids once we're too old to do this stuff anymore.

bOZntNqh.jpg

ljalberta

WKR
Great write up and fantastic shooting!! Amazing to see all that work and practice pay off like that!

That's a pretty cool story right there. Right on! You should be proud. Sounds like you earned all of it! Congrats!

FURMAN

WKR
Great job! Nice animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good work... not only on the finish line this year with the great animals, but also for seeing a gap and working hard to eliminate it. There's no replacement for round count down range.

Aside from doing the various matches, what did your shooting sessions normally look like?

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Good work... not only on the finish line this year with the great animals, but also for seeing a gap and working hard to eliminate it. There's no replacement for round count down range.

Aside from doing the various matches, what did your shooting sessions normally look like?

Thanks man.

I belong to a range where we have lots and lots of steel targets between 100 and 1400 yards. The primary line has a 1 moa and a 2-3 moa sized target at each range.

I'd typically start with a cold bore shot between 600-1000 yards. After that I'd do simulated match stages alternating between live fire and dry fire while the barrel cooled. I'd typically fit at least 1 range day in per week sending a minimum of 50 rounds down range, normally closer to 100 in an hour and a half to two hours. Typically just take a long lunch in the middle of the day while the winds were pumping.

22tcm

FNG
Great story. Beautiful animals there. Very inspiring for someone who wants to do the same thing of learning to shoot long range so as not to miss out on a opportunity and an animal.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Nicely done! Nice to see someone put the work and effort in on the LR pursuit.

Mike

Thanks man! I'd love to talk to you about a carbon barrel for my hunting rifle. Planning on sticking with my Tikka action and I'd like to go to a 20-22" carbon barrel to offset some of the length of my Ultra 7 once my background check gets finished up.

eamyrick

WKR
Very cool. I’m not mich of a long range guy but somehow your story connected with me to work up from 425-600 next year. Keep it up.

204guy

WKR
Nicely done, set a goal and accomplished it. You also went about it the right way, with a solid, moderate set-up and a lot of rounds downrange. Congrats.

Thanks man! I'd love to talk to you about a carbon barrel for my hunting rifle. Planning on sticking with my Tikka action and I'd like to go to a 20-22" carbon barrel to offset some of the length of my Ultra 7 once my background check gets finished up.

Just say when! I’m close to working on a dedicated tikka barrel for 2019.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Just say when! I’m close to working on a dedicated tikka barrel for 2019.

Mike

When! Like most of us I can't leave well enough alone.

Here's the thing, I'm currently running a wildcat of my smiths, basically a 6.5x55 with a 30 degree shoulder. I'm not married to it but I do like it. A 6.5 PRC would be cool but I don't want to have to source a new bolt to get the magnum bolt face.

If you prefer to do the chamber job then I'll just have to see what reamers you have. Otherwise my smith can chamber it. I believe you run benchmark barrels. My smith does too and that's what I've been running on my match rifle. I've been very happy with them.

Any thoughts?

When! Like most of us I can't leave well enough alone.

Here's the thing, I'm currently running a wildcat of my smiths, basically a 6.5x55 with a 30 degree shoulder. I'm not married to it but I do like it. A 6.5 PRC would be cool but I don't want to have to source a new bolt to get the magnum bolt face.

If you prefer to do the chamber job then I'll just have to see what reamers you have. Otherwise my smith can chamber it. I believe you run benchmark barrels. My smith does too and that's what I've been running on my match rifle. I've been very happy with them.

Any thoughts?

260, 260Ackley, 6.5Creed, 6.5-06AI are the 6.5cal non magnum reamers I have that’ll run off a Tikka action. Whenever possible I like to do the chamber if customer is willing.
And yes I’m running Benchmark cores! Shoot me an email [email protected] and I can spin up an estimate for you! ;)

Mike

I like where your head is at.. a tikka action is in route to Mike for a carbon 22” barrel and I’m hoping my ultra 7 will get out of jail any day now.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I like where your head is at.. a tikka action is in route to Mike for a carbon 22” barrel and I’m hoping my ultra 7 will get out of jail any day now.

Nice! What caliber are you going with?

Also, when did your paperwork get to the ATF? They cashed my check around the 3rd week of January and they say my background check is still with the FBI. Thought I would have had the stamp back by now.