x-bolt 28nosler

well after missing a great opportunity at a trophy buck this year, missing multiple times. My hunting partner is ready to hang up his ole' 06 and start packing a new rifle with longer range capability. He is interested in a browning xbolt, stainless/fluted/laminate/break installed model.

Im trying to help research it for him. Seems like a nice rifle, so my question is. Do the Brownings have enough mag length for COAL to reach the lands? Is there room for long bullets, without having to stuff em way down the neck? Talking 28 nosler and probably something in the 175grain range.

2five7

WKR
The mag will allow up to 3.600" COAL. That is long enough to get within in .020 on my X-bolt 28 Nosler. i shoot the 180 ELD at .040 off, plenty of case capacity to hit 3200 fps.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Was the 06 a light rifle? The XBolts are pretty light... He might run into issues if he was flinching, going to a magnum caliber in lighter rifle might magnify. I only share because I went from an 06 to a 7mag with a pretty hot load. The 7 mag was a bit heavier (Still Manageable), but recoil wasn't too much more because of the weight, I now shoot that rifle lights out. I shot a buddy's 7mag the other day that was slinging standard factory loads with a lighter bullet and the recoil was extremely noticeable because the rifle was around 7-8 lbs with a scope. Just something to think about if your buddy is concerned about accuracy.

What was the shot distance he missed at? What is his current rifle setup? What is his current scope? Does he handload? The 30-06 is capable of shooting long distance especially with the right powder/bullet combo.
Just my opinion as I don’t know you or your buddy. Many times it’s not the rifle as much as the proper setup, shooters skills and practice. A 28Nosler is a great caliber but honestly won’t shoot if the shooter isn’t comfortable with it or doesn’t have the skills developed.
There are many good calibers and rifles available that may fit his needs better than a 28Nosler.

Like others, my question is why did he miss? While wanting a new rifle just because is all fine, its not going to magically make someone a better marksman.

Within normal hunting ranges, even out to 600 or so, theres nothing the 28 nosler is gonna be able to do that his current rifle cant already do. If these shots he was taking were past that, then okay... but then that begs the next question - if he had been practicing at the distances he was shooting - which he should've been - why did he all of a sudden start missing?

Not trying to assume anything, but at first glance it appears that he was trying to take shots he had no business taking. If thats the case, before he wastes money on a new gun, perhaps he should get out and shoot every couple weeks at distance until the next season comes around.