Please Help a New LRH with Scope Decision

bpurtz

WKR
One advantage of a higher power scope is the ability to better evaluate the size of the buck you are looking at when he's 1000+ yards. This past season, we spotted some deer at 1300 yards - with my 10x binos I could see one was a buck but couldn't tell how big. My buddy dialed his NXS to 22x and we could see it was a decent 4x4.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Thanks for the continued feedback, guys. Something about spending more than $500 always makes me incredibly indecisive :D. I may try to meet up with JollyRoger to get a feel for the SWFA and SHV. Jolly, any particular time you'd like to get together? Feel free to PM me as well if that's more convenient. I really appreciate the offer, and it's people like you that really make me appreciate the forum. I haven't shot in quite a while, as I've been moving around the country and starting a new family, so please excuse any bad form or lack of shooting skills you may see :eek:

I've had no luck finding the LRHS anywhere. It's on Amazon but I don't trust that.

What’s not to trust about amazon?

Hell I’ve bought parts off amazon that weren’t delivered when tracking said they were, filed a claim, was refunded, and had them show up a day after the refund was recieved. A dishonest person would have gotten free stuff out of the deal.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR

Hell I’ve bought parts off amazon that weren’t delivered when tracking said they were, filed a claim, was refunded, and had them show up a day after the refund was recieved. A dishonest person would have gotten free stuff out of the deal.

I ordered a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks from Amazon a few years ago. When they arrived they had debris inside of the lens and a black aberration when looking through them. I did send them back (can't remember if through Amazon or Vortex) and got a new pair, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose that could've happened with any vendor though.

I've also heard that fakes are often pushed on high priced items. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that but it's enough to make me a bit gun shy.

My take away would have been a negative feeling towards budget Chinese made binos rather than amazon.

It’s nice to support the smaller vendors but I’d have no hesitation with amazon.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
My take away would have been a negative feeling towards budget Chinese made binos rather than amazon.

It’s nice to support the smaller vendors but I’d have no hesitation with amazon.

Well, I have found one of the last LRHS scopes that I've been able to find on Amazon, and it's sitting in my cart at the moment. I may pull the trigger on it, but I'm also meeting up with JollyRoger this weekend to do some shooting with his SS and SHV.

Kraze

FNG
Well, I have found one of the last LRHS scopes that I've been able to find on Amazon, and it's sitting in my cart at the moment. I may pull the trigger on it, but I'm also meeting up with JollyRoger this weekend to do some shooting with his SS and SHV.

If it's the one for $806, that's a pretty good deal. But GAP was blowing out the 4.5-18 LRHSi for $750 a couple months back. That deal is done, as the LRHS is discontinued, but you can regularly find them used for 750-800 now, so don't feel like you have to buy that LRHS on Amazon.

With that said, I have a LRHS and I think it's very hard to beat for a long range hunting scope. The "circle of death," as it's commonly referred to, makes the reticle very usable at low magnification and I don't really notice it at high magnification. And it tracks excellently.

Now if you're looking at the 3-12 one on Amazon for $1,100, I'd definitely say hold off. You'll find a better deal on a used one if that's the scope you end up wanting.

Edit: Just noticed the one on Amazon for $800 is an MOA version. If you're dead set on MOA, you might want to pick that one up, as the used ones are usually in mils (which is what I personally prefer).

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
If it's the one for $806, that's a pretty good deal. But GAP was blowing out the 4.5-18 LRHSi for $750 a couple months back. That deal is done, as the LRHS is discontinued, but you can regularly find them used for 750-800 now, so don't feel like you have to buy that LRHS on Amazon.

With that said, I have a LRHS and I think it's very hard to beat for a long range hunting scope. The "circle of death," as it's commonly referred to, makes the reticle very usable at low magnification and I don't really notice it at high magnification. And it tracks excellently.

Now if you're looking at the 3-12 one on Amazon for $1,100, I'd definitely say hold off. You'll find a better deal on a used one if that's the scope you end up wanting.

Edit: Just noticed the one on Amazon for $800 is an MOA version. If you're dead set on MOA, you might want to pick that one up, as the used ones are usually in mils (which is what I personally prefer).

Kraze,

Thanks so much for the post. I indeed had both of those in my cart, and didn't realize it was MOA, so no go there because I want mils. So now the only one I have is on Ebay. A guy has it up for $1000 but I offered $915. Still waiting to hear back from him. I'm really bummed I missed the GAP deal, but such is life. Do you have the 3-12 or the 4.5-18? Have you used both, and would you go with the 18 for 600 and under? Thanks again.

Edit --
Aside from the one on Ebay, I also see that GAP has a 3-12 non-illuminated as well, but they want $1300 for it :eek:
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-3-12x44-g2h-mil.html

Last edited:

Apollo117

WKR

Often times you don't actually buy directly from Amazon. It's a true market place where Amazon facilitates your purchase with the vender. Take a look next time, you'll see "Fulfilled by [Insert Vendor Name Here]" or "Fulfilled by Amazon Warehouse".

Just because it's sold on Amazon doesn't mean it's sold by a reputable vendor. That being said, Amazon has ridiculously high standards that vendors have to meet or Amazon will suspend the vendor's account. There is a really good chance, especially if the vendor has several good reviews, that you are purchasing from a reputable vendor on Amazon.

If you get burned by a vender, Amazon will bring Mjolnir down on them. That's why you can get a refund before you even mail an item back.

Kraze

FNG
Kraze,

Thanks so much for the post. I indeed had both of those in my cart, and didn't realize it was MOA, so no go there because I want mils. So now the only one I have is on Ebay. A guy has it up for $1000 but I offered $915. Still waiting to hear back from him. I'm really bummed I missed the GAP deal, but such is life. Do you have the 3-12 or the 4.5-18? Have you used both, and would you go with the 18 for 600 and under? Thanks again.

You can do better than $915 if we're looking at used ones now. There's a 4.5-18 LRHSi on another forum right now for 800 + shipping (PM if you want the link).

I have the 4.5-18, and have not used the 3-12. I'd personally go 4.5-18 again no matter the range. I hunt in the jungles of North Idaho (if you've ever been up here, you know how thick it can be lol), and I haven't felt limited by the 4.5 on the low end yet. But the 3-12 will certainly work out to (and beyond) 600 yards, and would be even better for the thick stuff with the 3x on the low range, so if you find a good deal on one, I wouldn't hesitate to get that one either.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
You can do better than $915 if we're looking at used ones now. There's a 4.5-18 LRHSi on another forum right now for 800 + shipping (PM if you want the link).

I have the 4.5-18, and have not used the 3-12. I'd personally go 4.5-18 again no matter the range. I hunt in the jungles of North Idaho (if you've ever been up here, you know how thick it can be lol), and I haven't felt limited by the 4.5 on the low end yet. But the 3-12 will certainly work out to (and beyond) 600 yards, and would be even better for the thick stuff with the 3x on the low range, so if you find a good deal on one, I wouldn't hesitate to get that one either.

PM sent

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hello all. I just purchased a Tikka T3X CTR and am looking to put a scope on it. I'm really having trouble choosing. I want to be able to practice up to 800 yards and hunt up to 600 yards. I am currently looking at the SWFA, Bushnell LRTSi (can't seem to find the LRHS anywhere - which people seem to prefer for hunting), Vortex PST II, and Nightforce (admittedly a bit confused by all of the models from Nightforce). I'm having trouble finding recent feedback/discussion about current entry to mid-level scopes for long range hunting.

Does anyone have any recommendation based on my intended usage? This forum has been my go to for buy once cry once decisions, and I'm very thankful to have such a sage community.

SWFA SS 3-9x. Easy peasy.

9x is fine at 800 on deer.

You need to drive around to stores and try and get your hands on them. It will all come down to personal preference. The only advice people can offer you between any of those scopes will come down to their personal preference.

I’ve never understood this thinking. How is going to a store going to tell me how a scope “works”...? Correct functioning is not personal preference.

To be fair after fingering an SHv 3-10 I realized the MoAr reticle on the 3-10 is rubbish for a hunting scope.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Just wanted to update anyone following this thread. JollyRoger and I met up and did some shooting this weekend. He's a stand up guy and we had a good time. Ended up shooting out to 500+ yards before we called it a day. I ended up grabbing the LRHSi that Kraze put me on (thanks Kraze!), as it was a great deal for the amount of money I was looking to spend. That being said, I would've been completely satisfied with the SWFA 3-9 out to 500+ yards, as JollyRoger and I were hitting consistently with said scope at that range. The 4-14 SHV did provide a bit more comfort beyond 400 yards, but with comparing the 9x to 14x that was to be expected. Thank you to everyone for the guidance, and I hope to meet up with JollyRoger again soon for some more shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

uQO58Gh

hEGbkCz

eBjd2pX

- - - Updated - - -

uQO58Gh.jpg

eBjd2pX.jpg

hEGbkCz.jpg

It was great to meet you... I'm glad we were able to get some rounds down range and help you make a solid decision for a scope. Let me know when you get the LHRS mounted up, I'd be willing to head out again and stretch the distance some more.

Kraze

FNG
Happy to hear you were able to snag that one! I'm sure you'll love the scope. And great pictures! Looks like a good day of shooting to me. Props to JollyRoger for meeting up with a fellow member and letting them shoot his rifles. Things like that is what makes this forum so great.