Please Help a New LRH with Scope Decision

Rick M.

WKR
Hello all. I just purchased a Tikka T3X CTR and am looking to put a scope on it. I'm really having trouble choosing. I want to be able to practice up to 800 yards and hunt up to 600 yards. I am currently looking at the SWFA, Bushnell LRTSi (can't seem to find the LRHS anywhere - which people seem to prefer for hunting), Vortex PST II, and Nightforce (admittedly a bit confused by all of the models from Nightforce). I'm having trouble finding recent feedback/discussion about current entry to mid-level scopes for long range hunting.

Does anyone have any recommendation based on my intended usage? This forum has been my go to for buy once cry once decisions, and I'm very thankful to have such a sage community.

hwy1strat

WKR
Buy once cry once decision would be an ATACR, Razor AMG, 624i, or Swaro X5.

The Nightforce that would most directly compare to the scopes you mention would be the SHV line. I'd recommend you save up a little more and get an NXS.

The new zeiss v4 and v6 lines are also great scopes in that price range.

You need to drive around to stores and try and get your hands on them. It will all come down to personal preference. The only advice people can offer you between any of those scopes will come down to their personal preference. Any of those will be good scopes and serve you well. Personally, like I said above, I'd save up a little more and get an NXS.

I've used both SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 scopes on my Tikkas, and recently just got a Nightforce 4-14 SHV which I like a lot. I see you're in Boise, if you want to take a look at any of them let me know. I'd be happy to meet up somewhere and let you shoot them if you'd like.

One issue I had with the SWFA 3-15 was the large windage knob would sometimes prevent spent shells from ejecting properly. The case would hit the knob and bounce back into the chamber. Was never an issue on my T3X 7mag, but it was on my T3X 6.5.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Buy once cry once decision would be an ATACR, Razor AMG, 624i, or Swaro X5.

The Nightforce that would most directly compare to the scopes you mention would be the SHV line. I'd recommend you save up a little more and get an NXS.

The new zeiss v4 and v6 lines are also great scopes in that price range.

You need to drive around to stores and try and get your hands on them. It will all come down to personal preference. The only advice people can offer you between any of those scopes will come down to their personal preference. Any of those will be good scopes and serve you well. Personally, like I said above, I'd save up a little more and get an NXS.

Thank you for the info. I just took a look at the NXS 2.5-15x50. Looks pretty awesome. I'm seeing around $1700 for the price point. I didn't really want to exceed $1500, but I may reconsider. Would the 15x be good for deer-sized game out to 600 yards?

- - - Updated - - -

What is your budget ?

Looking to stay in the $1500 range.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used both SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 scopes on my Tikkas, and recently just got a Nightforce 4-14 SHV which I like a lot. I see you're in Boise, if you want to take a look at any of them let me know. I'd be happy to meet up somewhere and let you shoot them if you'd like.

One issue I had with the SWFA 3-15 was the large windage knob would sometimes prevent spent shells from ejecting properly. The case would hit the knob and bounce back into the chamber. Was never an issue on my T3X 7mag, but it was on my T3X 6.5.

The T3X CTR I purchased is indeed a 6.5 CM, so I'm glad to get the feedback. I was mainly looking at the SS 3-9x42 HD. Would this model have the same issue? Also, I am in Boise : ) and I really appreciate the offer.

Nope... my SWFA 3-9 has been solid on the 6.5. No issues with shells hitting the knob

Side note on cost: everything SWFA makes is under $1500. And, the FFP Nightforce SHV lists for $1250 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Nope... my SWFA 3-9 has been solid on the 6.5. No issues with shells hitting the knob

Side note on cost: everything SWFA makes is under $1500. And, the FFP Nightforce SHV lists for $1250 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price point is exactly why I've been leaning towards the SWFA. The SHV looks like a pretty sweet scope as well and reaches out to 14x. I'm not sure what ranges you typically like to shoot, but do you ever feel under-scoped at 9x on your SS?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I would not be against the fixed power variants - just not sure if they are good for hunting. I've also read that the dials on the SWFA fixed power scopes are huge.

The price point is exactly why I've been leaning towards the SWFA. The SHV looks like a pretty sweet scope as well and reaches out to 14x. I'm not sure what ranges you typically like to shoot, but do you ever feel under-scoped at 9x on your SS?

Plenty of guys here and elsewhere will say the 3-9 is sufficient for long distance shooting. And, I'm assuming they are better shots and more experienced than I am. I've been using the 3-9 for everything for over a year now and it's been great. Took a shot at a wolf at 600+ (missed) but I could see the target just fine.

All that said, when I'm out just trying to get good hits on paper or steel at any distance I've been really appreciating the extra power on the 3-15 or the SHV. And, there were a few times this past season i wish I had more power on the scope. I'm sure all that only points to my inexperience and the need for continued practice though, so take that into consideration.

ETA: The dials on the SWFA 3-15 are the same style as on the fixed power models.

Last edited:
OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
JollyRoger,

Thanks for all of the info. Really appreciate the feedback. Where do you normally go to shoot? I'm relatively new to the area so haven't checked out Black's Creek or the desert areas yet.

Also, have you ever felt the need/desire to have an illuminated reticle when looking at game? Especially in low light situations. This is assuming you've been in that situation. : )

I like to go just outside of town.

I just got the SHV a few weeks ago so I havent really used the illuminated reticle in a hunting situation. So far, non-illum has done just fine for me. I'd say it's definitely not a requirement for me.

SHV F1 4-14, LRHS/LRTS, SWFA 3-9 or 5-20 if you don't mind the weight.

I like 14-15x+ on top for shooting long range. I've settled on the NXS 2.5-10x42 to avoid weight on a 300WSM and upcoming 7SAUM that weigh under 7lbs and I wont likely shoot over 600 at critters.

I settled on 4.5-18x LRHS for my slightly heavier 6.5 SAUM and 300 WM rifles.

I have and have sold a few $2500-3000 scopes but don't see any added value over the less expensive ones listed on a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
SHV F1 4-14, LRHS/LRTS, SWFA 3-9 or 5-20 if you don't mind the weight.

I like 14-15x+ on top for shooting long range. I've settled on the NXS 2.5-10x42 to avoid weight on a 300WSM and upcoming 7SAUM that weigh under 7lbs and I wont likely shoot over 600 at critters.

I settled on 4.5-18x LRHS for my slightly heavier 6.5 SAUM and 300 WM rifles.

I have and have had a few $2500-3000 scopes but don't see any added value over the less expensive ones listed on a hunting rifle.

I've had no luck finding the LRHS anywhere. It's on Amazon but I don't trust that.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
I think I've narrowed it down to these two:

View attachment 83162

Do you guys feel that the increased magnification and illuminated reticle justifies the price difference?

Sorry, not sure why the image is so small.

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
just fyi, if you go nightforce, you should be able to get at least 10% off list by calling around (sportoptics, scopelist, etc).

not sure if i saw it above, but nikon's new 4-14 f1 scope is a really decent scope for well under $1k. i have these on 2 different hunting rifles.

264win

WKR
I’ve tried all the scopes listed above and a whole bunch more as well. I run 4 of the Bushnell LRHS on varmint and practice rifles and a NF ATACR on my go to rifle.
Under $1200-1500 I would look for the lrhs or LRHSi, Leupold vx3 or older mk4, or a NF Shv.

And I also think that 12x is more than enough for hunting to 800yds

hwy1strat

WKR
You also need to decide if MIL or MOA is important to you. I like MOA so the bushnell LRHS and the SWFA scopes are out for me. They are only offered in MIL. If you don't care then go with whichever you like best.

If your budget is $1500 then I would wait one more month, or whatever, to save the extra $200 for an NXS. I have no experience with the Bushnell LRHS scopes, and with the somewhat of a cult following they have built, they must be great scopes. NXS scopes are EXTREMELY durable and are know for tracking true. You should not have a problem with an NXS for the life of that scope. That is worth the extra $200 to me. Maybe the Bushnell's are the same way, I don't know.

Like davsco said, the new Nikon FX1000 seems to be a great scope. I have only gotten to look at it in the stores and it seems very nice for the price. The glass is very good. I don't know anything else about it.

Kraze

FNG
If I was you, I'd take JollyRoger up on that offer to let you shoot the SWFAs and the SHV. No better way to get a feel for a scope than actually shooting with it. And even if you end up not liking them, you'll at least get a feel for your magnification range preference/reticle preference/etc.

And as far as magnification goes, 9x should be more than enough to shoot deer out to 600. I've used the SWFA fixed 10 to shoot rocks a bit smaller than a deer's vitals out past 800 yards with no problems.

hwy1strat

WKR
It is obvious that you have no experience with the bushnell LRHS, As moa models were available before they were discontinued.......

Well, my apologies for not knowing that. Even though I stated that I didnt have any experience with them. For some reason, I remembered when I was looking at them, once upon a time, that wasnt the case and that's why I didnt get one. Again, I stand corrected