300 prc

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey All,

I have been looking at the 300 PRC for long range hunting and I can't seem to find much information on it as it is fairly new. From what I can find, it looks like it could be a pretty solid option to look into.

As I am far from an expert, what do you all think?

ckleeves

WKR
I think it looks like a good design. The magnum 30 cal arena is pretty crowded so it will be interesting to see if it catches on. IMO it’s gonna come down to brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey All,

I have been looking at the 300 PRC for long range hunting and I can't seem to find much information on it as it is fairly new. From what I can find, it looks like it could be a pretty solid option to look into.

As I am far from an expert, what do you all think?

I think it is an awesome case design but wouldn't mess with one until i could get a bunch of brass from a company not named Hornady.

I think it's an improvement to the WM and Nosler, no rebated rim, no belt.

FURMAN

WKR
I personally feel the 30 Nosler is a better case design but the overall chamber design of the 300 PRC is better. That really means nothing if you are building a custom as you can throat the Nosler any way you would like. I had no problem achieving excellent accuracy with the 6.5 Creedmoor using junk Hornady brass and, although it is too early to say for sure, all indications say the 6.5 PRC will be the same. I expect the 300 will be the same. In my opinion Hornady has created very forgiving cartridges. Some people may not want to admit or even realize some cartridges are just not as easy to tune. Some of those have been around for many many years and we have developed repeatable data that is confused with ease of tuning. I bring this up because it plays a large roll in how well rifles shoot with factory ammo. It also can play a roll in how long load development will take. I most likely will not be an early adopter of the 300 PRC like I was with the Nosler but I suspect the factory ammo will be much better than that for the Nosler and I have never been a fan of any factory offerings for the 300 WM other than the relatively new ABM/Berger 215 ammo. I think the most overlooked or under-appreciated aspect to the 6.5 and 300 PRC is Hornady is pushing the envelope on SAAMI cartridge design by not sticking to the outdated 2.85" for short actions and 3.4" on long actions. I love the short action magnum cartridges but think they would have been much better suited with bullets seated where they should have been and run in a "medium" action with a mag box around 3.2". I feel the same about Nosler neutering the awesome cartridge designs of the 28 and 30 by having the SAAMI spec of 3.4" and stuffing them in a tiny "long action". If you do not reload I believe the 300 prc is going to shoot very well in a quality rifle with excellent factory ammo options. If you do reload the brass will be a hinderance due to inconsistent weight(internal volume) and softness(few reloadings).

2five7

WKR
300 PRC will be a great option for guys that want to buy a factory rifle, and shoot factory ammo. Excellent case and chamber design, and all the rifles will have properly twisted barrels for those 225's.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
300 PRC = Marketing hype and we will all love it.

I don’t see the advantage of this case like I do with the 6.5 PRC.

I don’t see the advantage of this case like I do with the 6.5 PRC.

Elaborate if you will Ryan. I am on board with the 6.5prc and am getting one built currently but have to believe the 300prc would be a good one two punch in the safe.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The 6.5 PRC has no Saami equal, yes the 6.5x 284 is a ballistic twin but really has no one mass producing ammo for it. I doubt Hornady will stop making ammo for the 6.5 PRC any time soon

I just keep hearing the 300 PRC is "better" than the 300 win, 300 WBY, 300 Norma mag and 30 Nosler. Why is it better? Better at marketing maybe. If you're a specs guy Hornady just reinvented the 300 WBY in performance.

The only "better" I see is Hornady will make cheap factory ammo for it.

The 6.5 PRC has no Saami equal, yes the 6.5x 284 is a ballistic twin but really has no one mass producing ammo for it. I doubt Hornady will stop making ammo for the 6.5 PRC any time soon

I just keep hearing the 300 PRC is "better" than the 300 win, 300 WBY, 300 Norma mag and 30 Nosler. Why is it better? Better at marketing maybe. If you're a specs guy Hornady just reinvented the 300 WBY in performance.

Thanks! Now that’s logic I can follow.

TauPhi111

WKR

I think the appeal is that the case/chamber addresses all the aspects that people always bitch about with the other 30 cal magnums, presumably creating something that has the perfomance characteristics of all of those others with none of the drawbacks. You will always hear some people complain about the belt on a Win Mag, the belt/double radius shoulder/length of the Weatherby, the rebated rim of the RUM, the 416 Rigby head of the Norma, the fact that the Nosler doesn't offer much in ballistics over anything else...all those are addressed in the PRC. To the practical guy who doesn't see those flaws as the end of the world, it's just another 30 cal magnum, but someone is going to like it for sure.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think the appeal is that the case/chamber addresses all the aspects that people always bitch about with the other 30 cal magnums, presumably creating something that has the perfomance characteristics of all of those others with none of the drawbacks. You will always hear some people complain about the belt on a Win Mag, the belt/double radius shoulder/length of the Weatherby, the rebated rim of the RUM, the 416 Rigby head of the Norma, the fact that the Nosler doesn't offer much in ballistics over anything else...all those are addressed in the PRC. To the practical guy who doesn't see those flaws as the end of the world, it's just another 30 cal magnum, but someone is going to like it for sure.

I can see what you are saying. Just don't see anything better. Now if it did what you are saying and had RUM velocity. I could say... better.

So what about for a guy that refuses to shoot a brake, doesn't want anything to do with Rum recoil, Is a WM guy. Has basic to med reloading skills and doesn't take joy in it.
And wants to build his 1st 1000 yrd mag, basically a win mag that is inherently accurate and is super easy to work up a for or shoot factory ammo?
I've been planning a new WM but this intrigues me because it seems like it would be inherently accurate with heavy bullets.

Sodbuster

WKR
I just got a free older Savage in 7 mag and am thinking about rebarreling to 300 prc.

Ryan, is Bertram going to make up some 375 Ruger brass?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just got a free older Savage in 7 mag and am thinking about rebarreling to 300 prc.

Ryan, is Bertram going to make up some 375 Ruger brass?

More than likely, probably 300 PRC too.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I kind of see the 300 PRC as being attractive to the guy that doesn't handload. He doesn't really get into or appreciate all the details about case design, chamber, etc. He just wants to buy a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo at long range, so the availability of low cost ammo intended for long range makes it a good choice for him. Seems like a long range magnum chambering that gets a guy into the game. IMO it's a better option than the other 300 magnums when it comes to factory ammo. For guys that handload their 300 magnums for long range though, I can see how they wouldn't be too impressed. Hornady is a business, and they're definitely paying attention to market trends.