Rokslide Carbon Barrel/Rebarrel group buy

OP
HellsCanyon
Who makes the blanks? SS? Cut rifle or button? 5R? How many groove?

I get all my blanks from Benchmark. They are button rifled. Depends on the caliber. 6.5mm/7mm/30cals are all 5R. 338’s are 3 groove R style, 6mm’s are typically 6 groove R style.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Question; Do you wrap those barrels with the CF...or do you get them that way? Is there ever a long term issue with moisture getting between the wrap and the barrel causing issues?

What is the weight savings on a typical CF wrapped barrel?

OP
HellsCanyon
Question; Do you wrap those barrels with the CF...or do you get them that way? Is there ever a long term issue with moisture getting between the wrap and the barrel causing issues?

What is the weight savings on a typical CF wrapped barrel?

Every barrel is wrapped in house.

It’s physically impossible for moisture to penetrate the wrap and infiltrate between the wrap and steel core. Once the resin matrix goes though the cure process it’s a irreversible change and resin flows throughout the wrap before cooling. It’s also designed so the resin mechanically bonds with the barrel to ensure maximum holding and rigidity possible.

Mike

FURMAN

WKR
Mike's Heavy Hunter barrels are close to sendero contour and my 30 cal weighs 2lbs 12oz. I steel sendero barrel is close to 4.5 lbs.

What is the difference between these cf barrels and say a proof research barrel? Are they the same material?

FURMAN

WKR
What is the difference between these cf barrels and say a proof research barrel? Are they the same material?

Different carbon barrels by different manufacturers use different methods for wrapping and different resins. All are not created equal. A lot of the important pieces of the puzzle are proprietary. The other piece of this is the quality of the core. Mike uses Benchmark cores which are top notch. Mike can jump in and tell you what he is willing to tell.

OP
HellsCanyon

In a nut shell, I run 100% of my carbon fibers parallel with the bore= maximum rigidity possible with a very high modulus fiber (lightest and stiffest they make) compared to a helically wound fiber orientation. I also run a 40% resin content. When you filament wind fiber you run a minimum 60% resin content.

Resin insulates like crazy while carbon fiber acts like a heat conduit. It transfers heat better than aluminum ALONG its fiber strands. The translayer conduction is relatively poor.

Because my fibers are parallel with the bore, and because of my core design, the barrel acts like a big heat sink pulling heat away from the chamber area.

Mike