Rokslide Carbon Barrel/Rebarrel group buy

New 2018-2019 Group Buy thread is here:
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/lon...ells-canyon-armory-buy-build.html#post1078357

Hi all,
Been talking with a few members and mods about doing a Rokslide group buy for my carbon barrels. I'll try to get a video up talking about my barrels the next few days.
Barrels will use a benchmark barrel blank contoured specifically for my wrap. Will be 27" blanks, any twist rate you need. Will be able to have finished contours of a #5, Sendero, or MTU.

Typically barrel prices are $800 for a blank. If we get 10 people buying blanks, I can do $700, 15 people $650, 20 people+ $600.
Anybody who purchases a blank will also get a barrel fit (chamber/cut/thread/crown) cost of $200 (Normally $250) if they desire. That includes an 11* crown but no muzzle threading. Threading muzzle or fitting a brake will run $75 (normally $125). Actions I'll chamber for are Remington 700's, Tikkas, Savages. Add $40 if you want a Precision ground recoil lug.
Lead times for the group buy barrels will be 10-14 weeks. I know this is a poor time of year with hunting season coming up soon but I've gotten a few PM's and wanted to get something on the forum for everyone.

My barrels are a hybrid wrap (not 100% carbon fiber) that focus on barrel harmonics and rigidity. Most companies on the market are using filament winding to wrap their CF barrels and have a resin content of over 60% which decreases rigidity and adds insulating properties. Instead of filament winding where the fiber orientation is helically wound around the barrel, my wrap has a continuous piece of fiber oriented parallel with the bore (think wrapping a piece of paper around a pencil), and have a resin content of less than 35%. They shed heat almost too good. In calm conditions you'll get a barrel mirage after 6-7 shots in a magnum caliber.

Common chambers I do are 338 Norma, 300 Norma, 300 Winmag, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 6.5-06AI, 280Ackley, 260, 6.5WSM, 7mm... I have some other options available and if I don't have a reamer I can order one for an additional $80 on your end (I essentially split the reamer cost with you). Or I can rent a SAAMI minimum spec reamer.

19812e948ac58aaa0d4ffa6a9fdc2286.jpg

5289c96682116c1be7de76ffe7481dd2.jpg

f28263d3ae39e217840d1ab26fe09782.jpg

1c784baa366df27d97d4097096ef58e0.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ePPXG7Ykz-o]https://youtu.be/ePPXG7Ykz-o[/video]

What do y'all think? I'm a big believe in keeping this as simple as possible but am open to most ideas! Thank you!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This looks like a good chance to go carbon.

I made the jump two years ago and really like carbon- light and fast!

Hey there's a name I haven't seen in awhile! How you been? Still in ND?

Mike

Yep still in ND. Been super busy with work the last 6-8 months. Trying to get hunts lined out for the year.

I see your moving shop to Idaho. Are you just smithing full time now?

OP
HellsCanyon
Yep still in ND. Been super busy with work the last 6-8 months. Trying to get hunts lined out for the year.

I see your moving shop to Idaho. Are you just smithing full time now?

I seen it's been picking up back there! Every now n then I miss that work. Yep been full time since last August. Good luck with your hunts, I have a few tags planned/drawn for this year.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
What are the weight specs on your barrel?

They weigh about the same as a #3 sporter barrel. Caliber specification changes it a bit but not more than 3-4 oz. I've gone extremely light in the barrel blanks and while it works, I see a point of diminishing returns on lightweight vs easy to shoot accuracy. Once you get under 7 lbs for a bare rifle you start losing the ability to shoot that rifle consistently at extended distance.

Another thing I'd like to mention is these barrels never open up past 1MOA even with 10-20 shot strings. Depending on caliber and how hot you push them, I typically see a 1/4MOA gun open up to about 3/4MOA when it gets HOT but it'll hold there indefinitely. You can pretty much set your watch to 10 minutes though for the barrel to cool off if it's in the shade and a reasonable temperature outside.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Any experience working with the Lone Peak Actions?

Yep! Great actions I have a Razor 338 on order for myself. 3 shots during barrel break in with a 28 Nosler below then adjusted scope for the 4th near the bullseye.

4c5ca6e0c477d315f803328f143f6f1d.jpg

Mike

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They weigh about the same as a #3 sporter barrel.

Roger that. Good god I don't need this temptation right now... haha.

Just pondering about a donor if the temptation tips the scales: You noted Tikka above presumably referring to the T3 series. Ever touch the predecessor M596/695? Can you add a rem recoil lug on the tikkas (either series)?

OP
HellsCanyon
Roger that. Good god I don't need this temptation right now... haha.

Just pondering about a donor if the temptation tips the scales: You noted Tikka above presumably referring to the T3 series. Ever touch the predecessor M596/695? Can you add a rem recoil lug on the tikkas (either series)?

It's hard to not be tempted!
Yes referring to the T3, I haven't played with the early models yet.
As far as adding a recoil lug we have a couple options. The front of the tikka action is tapered so it looks "weird" with a lug in front of it so it needs to be faced a little bit for proper aesthetics but it's not a problem to use a lug. PTG is currently selling a tapered recoil lug for the tikka that matches the action profile (or so they say, last one I saw was about .020" off).

Mike