Christensen Arms

I did a thread search on these custom rifles, also went to their web site and compared most of their LR rifles.
I have some questions from those of you who may have real experience with them.

I compared the Mesa to the Ridgeline
Only difference I see is a carbon wrapped barrel Vs a SS barrel, and Cerakote vs natural finish.
The weight difference, at least to me, is minimal at under 7 ozs.

The ridgeline is $700 more than the Mesa and I cant see why unless the SS barrel Vs the carbon wrapped one is where the accuracy issues are/were ?

Many older posts stated it was hit or miss with these rifles
Those posts were at least 5 yrs old and older if I remember correctly
- Have they resolved this ?

I am looking for a decent custom LR set up.
I already have a Browning 300 WM Xbolt LR set up (Stalker) that is MOA out to 400 But I don't consider 400 to be LR.
I am wanting to get out to 700-1000 yrds

I feel the Browning can get out to 600 consistently
But I want a custom set up that can start at 600 and easily reach 1000

Will these CA rifles reach 1000?
Do they still have issues with hit or miss on being accurate?

I have a local dealer for them who said this to me and it got me wondering why- "if it doesn't shoot Sub MOA, you can send it back for one that does"

I thought what the heck ??
If I pay $1500-$200 it better.
Any help is appreciated.

FYI I am hunting with it, back packing but doesn't bother me if it is 9lbs set up, or even a bit more, as I utilize a gun bearer.

I'll share what I think and my experience with them. I live 15 minutes from their facility and have had many friends work there. Their production could be much better, but it has greatly improved. The older guns used Shilen blanks and donor actions (usually Remington). They were very hit and miss. For some time they've been making their own actions and barrels in house. Their barrels are not cut rifled like the best custom barrels are; they're button rifled. Not a bad thing, but not the best available process either. I wasn't impressed with the rigidity or bedding of the stock, and the magazine was junk. Mine was a Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. It was a struggle to get it to shoot MOA. With lots of load development it got there, but it was a struggle. The carbon barrel is great. Basically gives a barrel with a light weight that can handle longer shot strings. Even in a hunting rig that only sees a few dozen rounds a year, it makes load development and trajectory validation much quicker.
I assume you're wanting a magnum LR hunting rig. Personally, I'd have one built. I've been through 6 rifles in the last couple of years, and consider it the only option from here on out. Bighorn TL3 or Ultimatum Precision action, any CF LR stock, bottom metal and a Trigger tech. If you use Savage type prefits, you cut the gunsmith out of the equation and still have access to Proof and Carbon Six or Xcaliber barrels. You should easily make sub 9lbs scoped if you want to. It's a bad feeling to blow through that much cash and not end up with what you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Thx
There is a Tooley built 300 WM, I am looking at. Under $2K. But its heavy probably 9 unscoped. Just want to buy once. I already have a middle of the road lR set up in my Browning. Just hoped the CA set up was the bottom tier of the LR set ups ? I'm not needing a Gunwerks or Red Rock $$$$ set ups, but I do want a 1000 yard gun, or I will just stick with my Browning and shoot 600-700

FURMAN

WKR
The Ridgeline and Mesa will both accomplish what you want. The Mesa will not take the long shot strings like the Ridgeline. They will both be very accurate unless you get a rare dud. Sadly I feel the Browning action is nicer. I’m not sure what your budget is but I’d look at the Fierce rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I own the BA Tactical and think it shoots great! Very happy with how this gun performs and I'd buy another Christensen in a heartbeat
e8cf6a94f70990c21a1056c386696e2c.jpg
f5b83b3d9b069c933b11122d1d0c6091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know quite a few guys with Christensen rifles and they're all great shooters out to 1k and more. As the post above pointed out, the carbon wrapped barrel will take a longer string of fire which is rarely needed on a hunt but would be an advantage at competitions or maybe the range. The comment about cut rifle barrels being "better" than button rifles barrels is just not true. While I personally like Bartlein and Proof barrels, which happen to be cut, companies like Hart and Benchmark make amazing barrels with the button rifling process. The key is stress relief and cutting the rifling is the most stress free process; but proper stress relief during the button process will produce just as accurate a barrel.

You might want to look at some of Alamo Precision Rifles' budget line rifles. They make a terrific rifle at outstanding prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
I have a Ridgeline in 28 Nosler and I couldnt get the windage zeroed with a Swarovski Z6 and Hawkins mounts. Tried different scopes and mounts gun was shooting 13 moa to the right. Sent it back and they had it 2 months. Came back with a different receiver(and maybe barrel? idk communication was poor with CA) and now it shoots 14 moa to the left with the reticle centered. with the scope adjusted all the way to the right gun shoots 1.5" left. They said my scope doesnt have enough travel and that they have had trouble with these scopes before. I put the scope on a new savage and a new Remington and both were just a few clicks off center. Put US optics windage adjustable rings on the CA to zero my scope (much heavier and way more $ than the Hawkins)
Also action is not very smooth and has no primary extraction
Both the first one and the second shot sub moa with 160 and 162 grain bullets both factory and handloads. It wont shoot anything heavier sub moa.

I am undecided about sending it back again. They have had 2 chances to do it right and if

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I have about 450 rounds through my Ridgeline in 308 with 20 inch barrel. It's one of the older receivers that uses savage 10/110 mounts instead of remington 700 mounts. shoots .75 - .85 moa with factory federal premium 165 grain trophy bonded tips out to 550 (furthest I've shot with it). Scope is Leupold vx6 2-12x42 boone & crocket reticle in talley lightweight mounts. I've had no issues with the rifle and I love being able to plink without ever really needing to wait too long for the barrel to cool. I'm sure with better ammo and a better shooter than I it'd be sub moa out to 1k. Probably even with the federal I'm shooting.

The xbolt action is definitely smoother but the CA isn't bad. I took it on a sheep moose hunt recently and it was a great little package, maybe too light if anything. I'm contemplating changing the stock out and putting my vx5hd 3-15x44 on it and making it my dedicated long range toy as I'll be hunting with a 300wsm moving forward - basically a 308 on crack.

I'd definitely steer you towards the ridgeline over the mesa for a range gun especially if it's going to get hunted, I think you'll enjoy the stiffness and low heat of the carbon barrel over the hunting oriented non carbon barrel on the mesa. The Mesa Long Range on the other hand, if I were shopping today for range gun I'd get that over either the mesa or ridgeline.

Since you're going to hunt this gun however, I'd get the ridgeline, see how you like the stock (a bit skinny and light weight for me I think) and possibly replace with a ba tactical stock. Then blast away.

I've had no warranty work needed so can't comment on their CS, but every time I've called in with questions it's super fast and friendly.

OP
mfllood3800
I have been all over Fierce website. I really like the looks of these guns.
I found a new (appears to be an earlier generation but is only $1750) SS fluted barrel vs the newer solid SS. It does have the E brake, 26" barrel
This stock is grey and black vs the newer black and grey.
It even has a fluted bolt.
With a guaranteed 1/2" moa I don't see how this can be beat for this price- I just hope they reply.
It's a tad heavier than the newer carbon edge, but scoped out I think it will still be around 9 lbs, maybe a hair less.

FURMAN

WKR
I have been all over Fierce website. I really like the looks of these guns.
I found a new (appears to be an earlier generation but is only $1750) SS fluted barrel vs the newer solid SS. It does have the E brake, 26" barrel
This stock is grey and black vs the newer black and grey.
It even has a fluted bolt.
With a guaranteed 1/2" moa I don't see how this can be beat for this price- I just hope they reply.
It's a tad heavier than the newer carbon edge, but scoped out I think it will still be around 9 lbs, maybe a hair less.

The Fierce is better than the CA in every way out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1signguy

WKR
I have a couple CA's and like them a lot. (308 and a 270WSM) The 308 is running Swaro Z6 and the 270 is running a NF NXS 5.5-22x56. I would not say either is a 1000 yard gun- I can loft some lead in there but the guns let alone the calibers are not 1000 yard material IMO.

I bought the CA's for much more modest shot range (around 600 yards if I am shooting at something breathing- with the calibers I am shooting I just don't feel right sending it further) and their light weight... they have exceeded my needs in both respects.

I am planning on a Gunwerks for my next rifle.

OP
mfllood3800
Here are the 2 Fierce rifles I am eyeing- these are in comparison to the CA Classic, which is their 1/2 MOA rifle.
The difference is I can get the Fierce scoped for the same price ??

Rifle Model: :*Model: CARBON EDGE - $695.00
Rifle Scope:*Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 - $2,075.00
E-Brake:*Muzzlebreak (E-Brake) $175.00
Custom turret:*Custom turret for scope $160.00
Stock Color:*Black & Gray
Caliber:*300 Win Mag
Dial-up work:*Dial-up work & yardage verification - $300.00
Rings & Bases:*Talley two-piece rings and bases - $140.00
Metal finish (cerakote):*Titanium gray
Rifle Case:*FIERCE FIREARMS BLACK AIR-LINE APPROVED RIFLE CASE - $220.00
Fierce Firearms Hat:*Fierce Camo Hat (snap-back)
Custom Fierce Rifle Bore Guide:*NO

$6,460.00

Fierce FURY LR Rifle Package

Rifle Scope:*Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 - $1,959.00
Custom turret:*Custom turret for scope $160.00
E-brake (Muzzlebreak):*Include $175.00
Stock Color:*Black & Gray
Caliber:*300 Win Mag
Rings & Mounts:*Talley two-piece Rings & Bases - $140.00
Dial-up work:*Dial-up work & yardage - $300.00
Metal finish (cerakote):*Titanium gray
Rifle Case:*FIERCE FIREARMS ALUMINUM, AIR-LINE APPROVED RIFLE CASE - $200.00
Fierce Firearms Hat:*Fierce Camo Hat
Custom Fierce Rifle Bore Guide:*NO

$5,484.00

rblosser

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fierce CT Edge 300RUM that is shooting .27moa with hand loads. Will be looking into buying another soon. My only complaint would be the trigger, I like to have a 1-1.5# trigger but can only get the factory trigger down to 2.3# safely.

I'm fighting to resist buying a new seekins Havak.. another fantastic looking option at the $2k price point.

OP
mfllood3800
Well, I did it...

Fierce Edge
300 RUM 26" with E brake on a SS fluted barrel
NightForce 5x22x50 W/yardage Turret custom made for
Nosler 210 ABLR
On a Talley set up
Atlas pod on a rail up front

According to John my rifles target was almost a 1 hole group with 2 rounds and the third made it a 3/8 moa.

I took one out of inventory and added the Long Range package to it, so it will be here in 2 weeks.
That gives me just enough time to get familiar with it and set my zero and then go Cow Elk hunting.

I appreciate every ones input.

freshta

WKR
Let us know how it shoots for you. I've been interested in hearing an unbiased opinion on fierce rifles. I'm interested in the fury lr

OP
mfllood3800
So far I am not as happy as I was when I ordered it. I talked to John directly, and made it clear I didn't want to have to wait 4 weeks for a gun they had in stock, incl all the accessories to complete it.
He said Yep we got it. It takes 2 weeks to get the custom turret, so I can see this is out of their control.
BUT
I have emailed the website, called and left many voice mails and their response is "0".

I have gotten thru to them and had questions answered, but only if I persist to call and call.

It was rifle season here in Utah, so I get that part of it, but dang- their C/service needs employees.
My rifle is paid in full, which was a question he asked me when I finally got in touch with them a week ago (second week)

I was just following thru making sure things were progressing.
This is the 3rd week since placing the order, and I am patiently waiting.

So far I'd say their communication is terrible.
But I am fully confident their equipment is not.
It is just a busy time for gun shops in Utah

I almost got the Fury LR package- a GREAT DEAL
They even have some ready in stock with an awesome Swaro scope in 300 Rum or mag, cant remember now

I just wanted a fluted barrel and bolt in Titanium color so I got the edge.
Mine is the edge 300 RUM with the target using Nosler 210- almost a 3 shot 1 hole group. It's like .25 moa

I will report back when hunting is done here and I get a chance to shoot it.

I imagine Fierce doesn't have a ton of employees to field calls and emails during hunting season. I know they aren't a one man gunsmith but I always tried to leave my gunsmith alone thinking the more time he spends talking to me and others, the less time he has to build guns.