Long Range Accubond - Revised BC's

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
On Nosler's webpage I seen they announced that their long range accubonds bc's have now all been Doppler verified. I was curious to see the changes as its been widely discussed about inaccuracies. Thought some of you may find this interesting. Here's what I found on the website. G7's are now listed. I've used the regular accubonds for years and have nothing bad to say on performance though I'm not a long range guy. Anybody try the 150 .270 LRA yet on game?

.264 cal 142 gr

New G1 0.625 Old G1 0.719

.270 cal 150 gr

New G1 0.591 Old G1 0.625

.284 cal 175 gr

New G1 0.648 Old G1 0.672

.308 cal 190 gr

New G1 0.597 Old G1 0.640

.308 cal 210 gr

New G1 0.661 Old G1 0.730

Anybody try the 150 .270 LRA yet on game?

I have. 2016 mule deer from perhaps 150 yards slightly quartered away. I put it right behind the shoulder, it went through the lungs, and then struck the offside front leg and blew it into a thousand pieces. Pretty much ruined all of that front quarter. He death ran about 30 yards before laying under a juniper and expiring.

I have. 2016 mule deer from perhaps 150 yards slightly quartered away. I put it right behind the shoulder, it went through the lungs, and then struck the offside front leg and blew it into a thousand pieces. Pretty much ruined all of that front quarter. He death ran about 30 yards before laying under a juniper and expiring.
I've read several reports, just like THIS ^^^ so I am sticking with, the Regular AccuBond, 140 grain in my .270 WSM @3,140 FPS
If, I wanted an "Explosion", and copper "Shrapnel", everywhere,.. I'd shoot,.. !

PS; so far, I am using an estimated .485 G1 BC for, the 140 .270 cal NOT, the .496 stated by Nosler. But,.. I will verify this, number for, my load/ rifle at, 200 thru 600 Yards, to make a "Dial" for, my 4.5X14 Burris scope. They ARE,.. "accurate" with, several 1.25 inch groups at,.. 200 yards !

OP
W

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider

That sounds explosive! Thanks for the review.

PS; so far, I am using an estimated .485 G1 BC for, the 140 .270 cal NOT, the .496 stated by Nosler. But,.. I will verify this, number for, my load/ rifle at, 200 thru 600 Yards, to make a "Dial" for, my 4.5X14 Burris scope. They ARE,.. "accurate" with, several 1.25 inch groups at,.. 200 yards !

I've got a Kimber 8400 in .270 Winchester I planning on developing a load for. Thanks for the data. 140 accubonds were going to be my first choice. May try the 145 eld-x too.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not tried the LRAB myself. The guy I hunt with shot a bull elk with the 150gr version from his 7mm Rem Mag. He shot the bull cross canyon at 407yds and the bull just stood there and soaked up 3 before falling. He was in a tight spot against a cliff which may be why he didn't move after the first shot. All 3 exited.

I have taken a few animals with the 140gr Accubond from the 270 win and 270WSM with good results. Shot a muley after another hunter wounded it at 400yds with the 270WSM pushing the 140 at 3033fps. I hit it right in front of the hind quarter and the bullet ended up under the hide in the neck after penetrating a lot of deer. It weighed about 65% of original weight if I remember right. My muley that trip I shot at 313yds and again at around 350 with the same bullet and both exited with good looking wound channels. I took a bull elk with that bullet at 614yds too. The first hit entered and exited behind the shoulder on opposite sides. As the bull wobbled backwards I put another through his neck right in front of the shoulder that also exited. That was the only open shot after he moved backward. I was very happy with that bullet. I've had nothing but good experiences with the standard Accubond.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I tried those 210s and knew that .730 was WAY off. Don't know how you can miss by that much.

I did watch and elk get shot with the 210 at around 600 yards. It was DRT

I have not tried the LRAB myself. The guy I hunt with shot a bull elk with the 150gr version from his 7mm Rem Mag. He shot the bull cross canyon at 407yds and the bull just stood there and soaked up 3 before falling. He was in a tight spot against a cliff which may be why he didn't move after the first shot. All 3 exited.

I have taken a few animals with the 140gr Accubond from the 270 win and 270WSM with good results. Shot a muley after another hunter wounded it at 400yds with the 270WSM pushing the 140 at 3033fps. I hit it right in front of the hind quarter and the bullet ended up under the hide in the neck after penetrating a lot of deer. It weighed about 65% of original weight if I remember right. My muley that trip I shot at 313yds and again at around 350 with the same bullet and both exited with good looking wound channels. I took a bull elk with that bullet at 614yds too. The first hit entered and exited behind the shoulder on opposite sides. As the bull wobbled backwards I put another through his neck right in front of the shoulder that also exited. That was the only open shot after he moved backward. I was very happy with that bullet. I've had nothing but good experiences with the standard Accubond.

I have read MANY, "Good" reports on, the "standard" 140 grain Accubond .270 Bullet and it's GREAT to hear the results you had on Deer and especially, Elk ! I just saw that, my Credit card was "HIT" for a Late Arizona, Bull Rifle Tag !! So hopefully, I will get to report "First Hand" on the "performance" of, this Bullet, next year,.. YIPPEE !!!

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see they are finally printing some realistic BC numbers. For me the ABLRs shot great and after I trued the bc #s, which were way too high, have worked great for LR shooting. As far as terminal ballistics go I don't have a ton of data as I have only shot 2 sitka blacktails. Each of them died with great haste but I suppose if I had used another bullet they could have been more deader. Shot placement is more important to me than bullet construction, that being said I still use premium bullets such as sciroccos, accubonds or ttsx however anytime I have hit major bone with ANY bullet it has been a mess.

mcseal2

WKR
I have read MANY, "Good" reports on, the "standard" 140 grain Accubond .270 Bullet and it's GREAT to hear the results you had on Deer and especially, Elk ! I just saw that, my Credit card was "HIT" for a Late Arizona, Bull Rifle Tag !! So hopefully, I will get to report "First Hand" on the "performance" of, this Bullet, next year,.. YIPPEE !!!

I think you will be pleased. I've taken a pile more game with the 140gr 7mm Accubond and the 140gr 6.5mm Accubond with results just as good. I have started playing with Bergers and ELD-X bullets in my 264 win mags in more recent years but still use the 180gr Accubond in the 300 win mag I use for elk or anything bigger. Having the 300 around now lets me set the 264's to buck the wind as well as possible on deer and antelope. If I was to ever need to use my 264 on elk I'd be going right back to my 140gr Accubond load.

Good luck on your hunt!

mtmuley

WKR
The guy that posted an Accubond LR blew into a thousand pieces I doubt. Bonded bullets don't behave that way. Shot a couple critters with the 210 out of a .300 RUM one year. Mule deer at 380. Caliber in, about 2 inches out. Bull at about 80 yards. Caliber in, about 2 inches out. Not long range obviously. Went back to the "regular" Accubond. mtmuley

A DIY guy, from Utah, had the same,..experience on an, Elk ( the shrapnel effect / core separation) and he thought that, the bonding glue, was missing on, his bullets ! So it is,.. plausible that, a batch slipped out of, the factory without, the glue or, he used,.. seconds ??
It was on, YouTube,.. the bullet was NOT,.. 1,000 pieces, tho !

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Does using caps make it more TRUE:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
My god Idaho lefty. What in the **** are you doing to that keyboard??

I've read several reports, just like THIS ^^^ so I am sticking with, the Regular AccuBond, 140 grain in my .270 WSM @3,140 FPS
If, I wanted an "Explosion", and copper "Shrapnel", everywhere,.. I'd shoot,.. !

I’ve killed probably 30 animals(WT, Axis, Hogs, Auadad) with 129ablr, and yet to experience Berger VLD type explosions. With that said my MV is 2850+- (off top of my head). Been very happy with them infact my favorite hunting bullet in the creedmoor. I can’t speak to them at high impact velocities though

EastMT

WKR
The guy that posted an Accubond LR blew into a thousand pieces I doubt. Bonded bullets don't behave that way. Shot a couple critters with the 210 out of a .300 RUM one year. Mule deer at 380. Caliber in, about 2 inches out. Bull at about 80 yards. Caliber in, about 2 inches out. Not long range obviously. Went back to the "regular" Accubond. mtmuley

I bought a 26 Nosler last year, didn't have time for reloading so I used LRAB factory 142gr bullets. We had a chance for a DIY February goat hunt on Kodiak, thinking of possible long shots I took the 26. I have experience with standard AB, so I assumed these were just better BC of the same construction, wrong! There is a large void just behind the tip, it pushes back into this void causing immediate opening at super slow speeds, hence LR. At high speeds it can fragment.

First shot, 280 yards in the shoulder, by the book should have hit at 2900 FPS. Goat jumped, started walking uphill, which is rare and bad sign goat hunting. Second shot was at 350 walking hit 6" above the shoulder, he turned towards me and put one in the brisket, took a tumble.

Upon skinning, the first round looked like I shot him point blank with a .410, the "cup" was all that was left, no lead at all just a hollow copper base, 2-3" of penetration.

The second hit performed as would be expected of a tipped bullet but was high and missed vitals, my fault as he was walking but you have to keep shooting if you wound one.

3rd shot also exploded just left of the brisket into the ribs, luckily enough fragments made it into the chest cavity and put him down. If I would not have had the opportunity for 2 follow ups I truly believe I would have lost him.

A buddy in Montana had a similar issue, he called and talked to Nosler, explained what happened, that he hunts in Griz country just outside Glacier Park, the Nosler rep said he would not be carrying LRAB in that situation because point blank at high velocities that is likely.

Thank God I did not have to try and shoot a Kodiak bear head on with that round in an emergency. I started loading 140gr partitions, figured for a few BC points I'll take the heavier design.

There is a big write up on the Alaska Forum about 2 guys, 2 sheep, 2 6.5's, one at 150 yards, one at 400 that had the same issue, blew like 6" circle of hair off the entrance side not the exit.

I know the 26 is going a bit faster than most of the 6.5's, but not much. 3300 vs 3000 in a 6.5 could potentially produce the same results.

I won't risk a wounded animal again with them. Now if you are shooting 6-1000 yards and slowing down quite a bit, I could see them being great, but I don't shoot at animals that far, so I have no evidence to support that.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
The ABLRs are a different construction than standard accubonds. They have a thinner jacket wall and a softer core. This means great expansion at low speed, but poor performance at higher velocities.

The lead core on all accubonds is "bonded" to the jacket by applying flux in between the jacket/core and melting the core using an induction coil. The heating process softens the copper. They combated this with the standard accubonds by going to a lead/alloy mix whereas the ABLRs use pure lead. This makes for a very "soft" bullet.

Also, bonded bullets can and will separate from the jacket. ABLRs especially due to the soft nature. At high velocities there will be a lot of fragmenting and usually weight retention below 60%. This is in ballistics gelatin, bone on an animal will absolutely destroy these bullets.

And to address Idaho Lefty's comment, it's not possible for an accubond to leave the facility unbonded. It could have a partial bond that affects performance slightly, but an unbonded bullet would lose it's core in the manufacturing process.

Since I have a pretty good knowledge of these bullets I thought I would clear the air on a few things. And as a personal side note I use the standard accubonds over ABLRs. Partially because of the expansion issues, but mainly do to the accuracy issues I've had and seen first had with them. If I want a high BC bullet I use Berger or ELD-Xs.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

That was my experience as well with the one animal I saw shot with the ABLR. A moose around 300 yards. Standard accubond is where its at for sure compared the this bullet for my uses.

bamagun

FNG
Killed six whitetails last year with the 150 LRAB's out of a WSM and had clean pass-throughs on all between 30 and 175 yards. The only deer that went more than a couple feet was the 30 yard 10pt (or 5x5 for you western guys) and he went about 20ft. Overall really impressed with it, but I think Im going to be toting the 140's to Utah in a couple weeks for an elk hunt..