Nosler Accubonds vs Partitions

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
So for the past two seasons I have been using 250gr Accubonds out of a Brown Precision 338 WM, previously I was using either 225gr or 250gr Partitions. The initial shots with the Accubonds were lethal on both elk (both were hit thru the lungs at 300 and 350 yards), but the bullets zipped right thru both elk and required follow up shots. In contrast, when using the partitions on elk and aoudad, the bullet still exited the animal but the damage from the initial shots (once again both thru the lungs at 300 and 400 yards) was enough to drop the animal or drop within 15-20 feet.

The reason I bring this to the LR page is that I get better consistent groupings with the Accubonds than the Partitions. I am comfortable with my scope and rifle out to 1k on paper/gong, and 600 in a hunting situation. Trying to decide if I go back to the old partition or stick with the Accubonds.

Either way the .338WM will remain my go-to for elk and up.

EastMT

WKR
I switched to accubonds, really missed my partitions. They sure aren’t sexy with that little misshapen lead tip, but they get the job done. I ordered a ton of blems in 308/.323 off of SPS website for like 1/3 reg price, so I guess I’m shooting them for the next 50 years now!

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I was researching this topic the other day and found an informative article on chuckhawks.

Nosler Hunting Bullets

I use Accubonds, but have been considering switching to a bullet that will get more penetration. I had a ~175 lb. buck run 100 yards into a thicket after a bread basket shot at 250 (308 caliber, 165 grain Nosler Trophy ammo). Bullet was found between just under the hide on the opposite side.

I had another one at 275 yards that I hit perfectly on the first shot, but after my experience with the last one I put another round in him and busted the front shoulders, wasting some meat in the process.

I’ve not had a chance to shoot at an elk yet, but thinking I might want to step up to a different bullet out of the 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
two completely different bullets pick the one that best fits the job. Up close deep penetration partition. Shooting long range the accu bond would be better with high bc.

EastMT

WKR
I’ve not had a chance to shoot at an elk yet, but thinking I might want to step up to a different bullet out of the 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 180 gr out of my .308. 2650 FPS, not a flame thrower. Caribou last year at 275 yards, right behind the shoulder, took 5 steps. Should have hit in the 22-2300 range. I’m sure accubonds would have done similar, but what if I’m 6” left and hit a big bone? Probably just as good, but 70 years of performance is hard to ignore.

I went through a phase wanting all fire breathing, 4000 fps rifles. Then I shot some slow heavy partitions. Never going back I don’t care how many ads I see in magazines and tv shows.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 70303

I shot a mountain goat and a caribou last year with a 160 accubond out of a 7mm RM. Both animals stone dead on the spot. They work great.

Bullets with starting weight and then retained weight. The Swift went through hells half acre from 307 yards into the rear hip socket and smashed it up. One tough bullet but the most finicky bullet I've worked with.

I will add that I've only shot Bergers at the range and naturally they were very accurate. I did get to see a mule deer shot with a 154 gr SST from my 7RM this year and wow...210 yard high shoulder shot and it was insta-death but there was no need for THAT much damage. Yikes!

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a 338 win mag and currently developing loads for it. Trying the 200 gr accubonds amd 210 barnes but thinking of moving up to 225 accubonds or partitions but cant decide which. This will be for elk. I have heard only good things for both rounds. Brother shoots a 300 win mag and partitions. He shot an elk at 320 yards and hit it just behind the diaphragm. Elk only went 30 yards.

wyosteve

WKR
I shoot a .338 WM and have found that 225 gr. Partitions have better accuracy than Accubonds in my rifle. Both have worked well for me though in terms of expansion/knock down effect. I don't think you'll go wrong with either, just use what your rifle prefers.

R H Clark

FNG
You may see a little more damage with a Partition on a lungs only shot than with an Accubond,but that doesn't mean that the Accubond just zipped through without expanding. The Accubond is designed to mushroom but stay together. The Partition is designed so that the front part will shrapnel but the rear will keep penetrating. That shrapnel will do a good bit of damage in soft tissue like a lungs only broadside shot.

I think it's hard to know how a particular animal would have reacted differently if shot with a different bullet. Some of them just seem to go farther no matter how they are hit than others. I wouldn't fret too much over those two bullets as both are excellent choices, and I would probably just shoot the one my gun liked best.

I think you would be served very well by either the Partition or the Accubond. I've had great success with both bullets. I use either of them in 165 gr. weight in my 30-06 for everything from antelope, deer, black bear, and elk.

LaGriz

WKR
Sconey & Jsunkler,
Copied and pasted my own experience with a .338 200 Gr. AB.

I took a cow elk in December with my Pre-64 Model 70 that was re-bored to 338-06 from a 30-06. The original barrel is 22" long. My Nosler factory load was a 200 Grain AB from that has an advertised speed of 2800 fps. The shot was near broadside at 100 yards (+or-) and the animal died instantly from a high lung hit. She did not take a step. I was however surprised that the bullet did not exit. The cow was gutted in less than 15 min. after the shot and the lungs were turned to gelatin. I regret that I did not recover the bullet. Very little meat damage from the shot, as the projectile passed under the back strap and missed the shoulder bones. Accuracy has been very good with this load.

My question to other users of this caliber is: How common is it that you fail to get an exit wound at 100 yards? I did read in a previous post that Luke M. is shooting the 210 gr. Sirocco. Have other users of this round gotten exit wounds as a rule with these and other bullets like a Swift A-frame. The result was perfect in the is case. Should I not worry about it and just enjoy the meat? In your opinion, if the elk had been larger and the distance say 200 yards farther down range could I have had an issue with penetration? Have not made the purchase of reloading gear yet. Once I have that equipment available I will have to fine tune a load equal to the present Accu-Bond load that this rifle seems to like.

LaGriz

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have seen animals shot with all kinds of bullets. Any premium bullet will work just fine. Just roll with what shoots best in your rifle.

TauPhi111

WKR
If you're trying to make a perfomance call based on 4 elk kills, that isn't much data to go on. Scour the forum enough and you'll find "DRT" stories and "I had to shoot em 5 times" stories for literally every bullet out there. Every kill is different and every animal reacts differently, and there are too many variables to really objectively compare any two kills. Both bullets are proven and will no doubt result in dead animals if you put them in the lungs. I'd go with the one that gives you the best confidence in your marksmanship and affords you the greatest opportunity to make a good shot. Sounds like those are the accubonds for you.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW,

I have found the accubonds to be wayyyy more destructive to meat/hide than partitions. I would probably give up the BC for cleanliness of the PT. This is at RUM velocities so maybe it doesn't matter with things moving at more reasonable speeds.

Mike

I use Federal ammo with partitions for ELK. Very very destructive, Elk Bear. 20 yards at most. No blood, but the animal is dead.
However, my Browning hates the ammo. 3" group. But I know where the 1st shoot is going on a cold barrel.

I was considering trying Accubonds, or something else. I just would like smaller groups.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot many deer and pigs with a 7mm and 160gr Accubonds. When hit in the vitals, they don't go far if at all. Several years ago, my dad used a 30-06 and partitions. He wasn't a very good shot, but when he hit something, it too didn't go far. I guess if you are using one of the premium bullets from a reputable manufacturer and do your part with shot placement, the bullet will do the job.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've killed a metric pile of animals with accubonds. They may not flop over instantly every time but they are incredibly consistently devastating! A well placed shot with an accubond is going to bring any animal down in short order.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to accubonds, really missed my partitions. They sure aren’t sexy with that little misshapen lead tip, but they get the job done. I ordered a ton of blems in 308/.323 off of SPS website for like 1/3 reg price, so I guess I’m shooting them for the next 50 years now!
Trying to decide what I should shoot my 300 Weatherby it’s an older gun and it’s finicky to say the least I do have one ATI coupons working OK groups but I shoot my 200 gr partitions out of my saum, so I figured I’d try it out unfortunately can’t find them anywhere now. Oh well