Longest kill.

mtmuley

WKR
All this MOA versus MIL and energy required threads got me thinking. What is the longest ONE SHOT kill you have made on a game animal? Don't care about cartridge, rifle or optics. Cold bore, one shot. I'll go first. 703 yards, and I didn't want to do it. mtmuley

luke moffat

Super Moderator
495 and if I never have to shoot further than that I'd be stoked...but that doesn't stop me from practicing further. :)

rlmmarine

WKR
You guys make me feel bad here in the east longest shot I ever took was 387 and I had to use a backup shot. Our longest range around daytona is only 300 so my hat is off to all of you

mcr-85

WKR
748 on a bull but he took another shot when I got up to him. I had hit him a touch high and broke his back. 710 on a buck the following year. That one hit him perfect and he was dead before he hit the ground. Last year was a little better, 168 on a cow elk and a guess at 125-150 on a buck. I like having the ability to shoot far but that's not the goal. The goal is having a good time and filling my tags.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
520 on a Sitka blacktail. 2016--I didn't have a clue what I was doing, Ryan Avery worked his black magic and the deer fell over dead when I put the cross hairs on it :) I've since gotten much more interested in LR shooting, and shot 2 more deer between 450 and 500 last season with a much clearer understanding of the process. Been practicing out to 1000 and greater and starting to learn to make my own wind calls, etc now. I suspect for hunting I will still try to keep shots inside 600 yards.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Still, love watching the trace smack that buck! Perfect shot!

[video=youtube_share;0-QqJRzomp8]https://youtu.be/0-QqJRzomp8?list=PLBsWeLkJhajONcr4xJVZfIiX2L_EOQet9[/video]

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still, love watching the trace smack that buck! Perfect shot!

[video=youtube_share;0-QqJRzomp8]https://youtu.be/0-QqJRzomp8?list=PLBsWeLkJhajONcr4xJVZfIiX2L_EOQet9[/video]

I stand corrected...I guess my longest shot was 540 yards!

So much fun, thanks for digging up this video Ryan. When are you and Kelly coming deer hunting with us again?

Being an Eastern whitetail hunter I don’t get to shoot long very often. Last year I had hiked three miles in a snow storm and spotted a group of does across the “holler” as we call them in WV. I sat at the base of a tree and used my trekking pole collapsed down to make a perfect 400 yard shot through the timber. She dropped so fast the doe behind her didn’t even run!

She was standing in the orange circle. Not a long shot by most standards but a cool memory for sure.
dd1027441390eef0be4cd3ad7aa483ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has "What the Eff'" written all over it. Are you guys serious? Are you all really sitting here bragging about your longest kill when in reality you all look like a bunch of douche bags? I guess ethics went out the window and now it's a dick measuring contest.

I can consistently get head shots on a Coyote Silhouette at 650 yards with ease but I would NEVER and I mean NEVER, take a shot like that at a living animal and risk only wounding it.

Get a grip guys.

Dusty2426

WKR
This thread has "What the Eff'" written all over it. Are you guys serious? Are you all really sitting here bragging about your longest kill when in reality you all look like a bunch of douche bags? I guess ethics went out the window and now it's a dick measuring contest.

I can consistently get head shots on a Coyote Silhouette at 650 yards with ease but I would NEVER and I mean NEVER, take a shot like that at a living animal and risk only wounding it.

Get a grip guys.

So many directions I could take this comment but I’ll go easy route. With proper training, practice and gear prep there is nothing unethical with these distances.
WITHOUT proper training, practice and gear prep a 100 yard shot could be unethical.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider

Get a grip guys.

Please refer to to sticky post: "If you have a problem with long range hunting, don't post here. There are lots of other forums for you."

Thanks.

mcr-85

WKR

Get a grip guys.
I don't think it's a contest at all. He asked and people are responding to the question. Your ethics are your own and your maximum range is the one YOU feel comfortable with. Don't try to stick everyone to your rules and ethics. I know I wouldn't want anyone else's ethics and personal rules imposed on me so I don't try to impose mine on anyone else. As long as it's legal, to each their own.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk