Dry Fire Practice

Broz

WKR
Awesome Video and 100% spot on. Dry firing rocks and you can do it almost anywhere even if you cant make it out to practice. I do it at times from my bedroom floor out the slider. If you live in town you might want to pick a different area though.:rolleyes:

Nice job Sam and Ryan. If I may I will add, pay specific attention to the crosshairs as the triggers break. Practice form and follow through to keep the crosshairs tight on point of aim. Follow through by keeping the trigger back after the break for a few seconds to simulate seeing the impact on the target, then release.

Good job guys, many would not realize the importance of this exercise had you not brought it up.

Jeff

Haven't watched the video yet but I'm glad to see you guys covering the subject! Have you used or heard of using what another forum calls the Indoor Optical Training Aide (IOTA)? It's a cap that reduces something on the scope objective and let's you focus down to 10'! Makes it real nice to dry fire practice in your home with just a dot or sticker on the wall for a POA.

Mike

Haven't watched the video yet but I'm glad to see you guys covering the subject! Have you used or heard of using what another forum calls the Indoor Optical Training Aide (IOTA)? It's a cap that reduces something on the scope objective and let's you focus down to 10'! Makes it real nice to dry fire practice in your home with just a dot or sticker on the wall for a POA.

Mike
I haven't heard of it. I'm kind of spoiled in that I can step out of my gun room and dry fire 19 yards to the other end of the basement:) The wife and kids don't even notice me now after years of "shooting" the dot on the wall. I taught 4H Rifle for several years. It always started mid-winter, so I would start the kids off in the basement. I had them dry fire with a AR15/22x Nightforce. The kids thought that was really cool! When it was time to head outside with the 22s, they were old hands at scope alignment, trigger control, etc.

Awesome Video and 100% spot on. Dry firing rocks and you can do it almost anywhere even if you cant make it out to practice. I do it at times from my bedroom floor out the slider. If you live in town you might want to pick a different area though.:rolleyes:

Nice job Sam and Ryan. If I may I will add, pay specific attention to the crosshairs as the triggers break. Practice form and follow through to keep the crosshairs tight on point of aim. Follow through by keeping the trigger back after the break for a few seconds to simulate seeing the impact on the target, then release.

Good job guys, many would not realize the importance of this exercise had you not brought it up.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I actually started another take with those points covered, but was driven to cover by a T-storm:mad:

It is worth expanding upon, though. What I like to do is hold on a target no bigger than .5MOA. If the crosshairs shift from the target when the trigger breaks, I work on solidifying how the rifle is supported and how I'm "driving" it. It's amazing how much a rifle can move when that spring throws the firing pin forward. For the guys who want to shoot the lighter rifles, this exercise is particularly useful. A heavy rifle will dampen most movement due to it's sheer mass.

While you're getting ready to break the trigger, practice your breathing and whatever you have to do to relax. Anxiety over taking a shot (target panic) can absolutely wreck an otherwise good shooter. Dry firing can help reinforce the habits that will overcome that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Dry firing rocks and you can do it almost anywhere even if you cant make it out to practice.

When I was a teenager I had pictures of elk and deer all over one of my bedroom walls. I'd lay or sit in bed with my rifle and dry fire over and over at every picture almost every day growing up.

I haven't heard of it. I'm kind of spoiled in that I can step out of my gun room and dry fire 19 yards to the other end of the basement:) The wife and kids don't even notice me now after years of "shooting" the dot on the wall. I taught 4H Rifle for several years. It always started mid-winter, so I would start the kids off in the basement. I had them dry fire with a AR15/22x Nightforce. The kids thought that was really cool! When it was time to head outside with the 22s, they were old hands at scope alignment, trigger control, etc.

Good for you Sam! Here's what I'm talking about for those people who don't have the luxury of a convenient place to practice.
http://8541tactical.com/IOTA_review.php

Mike