Long Range Gear Overview

Broz

WKR
I believe BulletFlight has this as well, but if you aren't parked on top of the weather station it's reading, it won't do you any good in the mountains. Pressure and temps vary a lot even a couple of miles from the stations around here.

We have tested it on shooter. It pin points your location between 3 towers to get the environmental conditions. I was sitting in the mountains in Wy next to my son. We had the same rifles in our phone apps. He would figure the dope for a shot using the auto input data and I would input to my phone from the kestrel. They were almost always the same or less than .25 moa different. That said it does require cell service and uses more battery. For those reasons and the fact I want to know what I input is correct for where I am, I still use the manual input mode.

Jeff

OP
Sam Millard
We have tested it on shooter. It pin points your location between 3 towers to get the environmental conditions. I was sitting in the mountains in Wy next to my son. We had the same rifles in our phone apps. He would figure the dope for a shot using the auto input data and I would input to my phone from the kestrel. They were almost always the same or less than .25 moa different. That said it does require cell service and uses more battery. For those reasons and the fact I want to know what I input is correct for where I am, I still use the manual input mode.

Jeff
I was talking about mountains with trees:) Our weather stations here are strung out along the major highways and rarely do we have 3 towers to triangulate, but in the end, even if we did I would just input from the Kestrel like you do.

OP
Sam Millard
Sam or Ryan maybe I'm out in left field but dosent bulletflight have the ability to give you the angle consign? I was just wondering if it did if it was trustworthy?

You can manually input degrees or use the "GET" function on the phone. Just hold it on top of the scope and push the tab. No cosine...yes, it's been trustworthy:)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sam or Ryan maybe I'm out in left field but dosent bulletflight have the ability to give you the angle consign? I was just wondering if it did if it was trustworthy?

Yes it can measure in degrees. It's all I use. I point at what I'm shooting at and lay the phone flat on top of the turret. Then tap the get button.
a6ahyjy8.jpg

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
I was talking about mountains with trees:) Our weather stations here are strung out along the major highways and rarely do we have 3 towers to triangulate, but in the end, even if we did I would just input from the Kestrel like you do.

Yeah I didn't explain it well. It will use GPS to pin point you from where your phone is so it knows the altitude and pressure. But I am with you on manual input.

Jeff

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
So then there's probably no reason to have a consign indicator on my scope other than a back up I guess. Man I gotta get that app! Thanks guys for sharing!

OP
Sam Millard
So then there's probably no reason to have a consign indicator on my scope other than a back up I guess. Man I gotta get that app! Thanks guys for sharing!
I will be leaving all of mine on:) Cosine is easier to use if you have to wing it due to battery powered stuff crapping out.

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan maybe it's a little off subject, but what are you using to keep your phone charged in the backcountry that's backpacker friendly? I'd like to get this app but don't want to be hamstrung by a potential dead phone battery.

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Sam do you run the consign, anticant combo on your scopes or what do you use?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I have broke two consign indicator. So I said screw it and haven't used one since.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Last year, I ran a New Trent battery pack. This year I'm going to try a mophie battery case. The New Trent will recharge my iphone 3 times.
photo18_zpsdf5c579c.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Just and FYI Sam's iphone 4 has a lot better battery than my iphone 5! Come on Apple get your shit together:)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

It uses the phones gyro to give you an angle.

On Ryan's recommendation, I bought the $30 dollar version of bulletflight and I really like it so far. Like Sam said, the "calculate simple" feature is awesome. I also bought the Kestrel 4000 so that I have accurate information to input into the calculator.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Don't know on the last one. The first one was strapped to the side of my pack and I went ass over tea kettle on some wet rock and cracked it.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
If your looking for a new phone with battery life in mind, as was I, the new Droid Maxx is hard to beat. Unbelievable battery. Mine in full use mode will last more than 2 full days. Not sure if it would do 3 in full use as I have not tried it yet but I bet it would. That should mean in airplane mode I would be good for 4 to 5 days. But still think the recharge battery Ryan uses would be a good thing to have along.

The Droid also has a huge screen and you can enlarge the text setting. Plus it works with my personal favorite ballistic app "Applied Ballistics"

FWIW

Jeff

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking for a new phone with battery life in mind, as was I, the new Droid Maxx is hard to beat. Unbelievable battery. Mine in full use mode will last more than 2 full days. Not sure if it would do 3 in full use as I have not tried it yet but I bet it would. That should mean in airplane mode I would be good for 4 to 5 days. But still think the recharge battery Ryan uses would be a good thing to have along.
FWIW
Jeff

I get a similar if not better battery life from my new Samsung Galaxy S5, I only charge it twice a week and it gets plenty of use. I have no doubt that in Airplane mode it would last an entire week. Its an impressive step up from the Droid Razor that I had before that would last two days of solid use. John