Antelope cape transporting

Mfritts

FNG
Hoping to bag first antelope this year in Wyoming. Between me and my buddy we have 1 buck and 2 Doe tags. If i utilize a yeti (will have 2 large ones) full of frozen water jugs and place the antelope cape still connected to head in there, is it feasible that it will make it back to Texas and to a local taxidermist? Or should i just haul the meat home and find a Wyoming Taxidermist to leave cape and head with? Should i have a spare game bag for Head/cape? Also, any tips i need to know about cutting him up in field? I’m used to quartering up whitetail. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Antelope hair is very fragile. Do not drag him at all if you want to save the hide. If you get him in the cooler, and cooled out, he will be fine for several days. Make sure it’s not soaking in the water if any is melted. Keep it cold all the way, should be fine.

Another option is contact a local taxidermist or meat shop, ask how much they would charge to freeze and store it for a few days before you leave, it shouldn’t be much. If you see a buck first day, you could be there a few more. Once it’s frozen, bag it good, put in yeti, should still be frozen when you get home.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get the hide off them fast and into the cooler is the main thing in regards to quartering them, the hair comes out easily so do what you can to minimize how much is on the meat to make for less work later picking out the hairs (that assumes you butcher, if you take it some where they might not be as careful...). Be prepared for the buck to be rather musky smelling. I don't know if the oils can rub off on the meat or not but to be cautious try and minimize how much contact the head/hide have with the meat (IE put a garbage bag between the meat game bags and the head/hide) would be my suggestion.

I haven't tried preserving a full cape (I'm a euro type of guy) but I've brought home a chunk of hide to flesh/salt to give to someone, it seemed like it held up fine being in a trash bag in a cooler for a couple days.