canned deer at the fair

rayporter

WKR
perhaps she took it to the fair as a joke - we are down to just a couple jars

the told them it was beef
5m7OO4m.jpg

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I can venison each year. Nice not relying on refrigeration for at least some of the game meat. I think the canning process brings out some great flavors for venison, plus it makes for super easy meals.

OP
rayporter

rayporter

WKR
we add a bullion cube and a pinch of canning salt along with a half tsp of cavendars.

I have been trying teriyaki and soy and chipotle recently. lowerys BBQ too. it takes a lot of those to get any taste. the chipotle may work out.

onion soup was tried and no one liked it. if you like spicy add a pepper.

one really nice thing is you can use parts that would usually be fed to the dog. we dice up neck meat with out trimming much, if at all, and put it in jars.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I put in mine is a small amount of canning salt.

I have found that a German brand beef stew (Goulash) seasoning packet mixed in with some additional water when heating it up makes for a very tasty meal.

davsco

WKR
honestly never even heard of this til a few days ago, we were talking deer hunting and a neighbor brought a can (jar) of canned venison out to wifey and i. we had it night before last and it was juicy and tasty.

KJH

WKR
I can at least one whole deer every year. Its amazing and easy. My recipe is a little different...

KJH

WKR
I put the cubed up raw meat chunks into the jar and leave about an inch open at the top. I add about 1.5 tablespoons of Au Jus PASTE on the top and can in a pressure cooker for 90 minutes. You don't need to add any salt or liquid. That's it. Sounds like its too easy to be good. Seriously, its that simple.

I've tried a lot of other recipes, and found this one to be the best. The key is the salty au jus paste (Concentrate) that comes in a jar.