Cooking Heads

Bulldawg

WKR
What pot have you guys found that works good for putting elk heads in? I have misplaced all mine and I'm looking to find something that is a little more suitable for the the job of making Euros easier and elk heads are big.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This tub is the best thing I've found for elk or moose the shape is near perfect. I use a smaller size for deer that's just for size reference. Down side is it takes a long time to heat to slow rolling boil without a double burner.
75de465c027c7e1cbbabaa8d01f49767.jpg
bd617778c136f306476f99fe94b4b408.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IdahoHntr

WKR
I used a similar tub as above from Cal Ranch for my bull that I shot this year and it worked well. Mine was a bigger but round and I didn't have an issue with heating it on one burner on my camp chef.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I was an idiot once and went in the house and forgot my head was boiling. Well it was still on the next day because my cooker is on a 100lb bottle. The super heated air literally burnt the skull to crust. It didn't hurt the antlers though. I was sick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I wish I could have found a 7.5 gallon oval one like the picture above. I had to go with a much larger one (cant remember the gallon size and it was round) and I had a hard time getting a good boil. it was just too big. I think that 7.5 gallon oval one would be perfect for deer and elk sized game.

rlmmarine

WKR
I may need to rethink this I've always used my turkey fryer for my white tail . I was planning on taking it with me on my moose hunt next month so I didn't have a problem crossing state lines.
? Is does a moose skull fit in a turkey fryer

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may need to rethink this I've always used my turkey fryer for my white tail . I was planning on taking it with me on my moose hunt next month so I didn't have a problem crossing state lines.
? Is does a moose skull fit in a turkey fryer
You should be able to balance that tub on your fryer

rlmmarine

WKR
You should be able to balance that tub on your fryer

That tub was purchased with the fryer years ago and it works great for whitetail just not sure about a moose
I've been seeing things on the net about people using 30 gal garbage cans. I've just never had a moose skull in my hands to be able to judge size
Thanks for your input

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Ok another question that is silly in my mind, but where are you guys getting burners at? All my regular type places don’t have any in stock until closer to thanksgiving! Haha don’t they know it’s head boiling season!

I’ve had about 4, but with my most recent move I forgot them all haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I stopped boiling and started macerating heads. If it is a really important one, I pay someone with beetles. You may want to google maceration processes. Turns out a great product.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Amazon I also think home depot carries them

Yeah amazon has a couple but Home Depot doesn’t stock them until closer to thanksgiving turns out haha. I can order but i was looking to just pick one up.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I stopped boiling and started macerating heads. If it is a really important one, I pay someone with beetles. You may want to google maceration processes. Turns out a great product.

I have heard of the maceration, isn’t that pretty gross and stank pretty good during the process?

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
So with the 7.5 gallon oval you can fit an elk skull in there? It looks like would be close but probably work.

This tub is the best thing I've found for elk or moose the shape is near perfect. I use a smaller size for deer that's just for size reference. Down side is it takes a long time to heat to slow rolling boil without a double burner.
75de465c027c7e1cbbabaa8d01f49767.jpg
bd617778c136f306476f99fe94b4b408.jpg

I found this tub at Ace hardware. I didn't take measurements but it looked like it would be a good fit for an elk skull.

Jimss

WKR
I have a number of pots to choose from depending upon the skull size. The smaller the pot the quicker it boils and the less propane and time it takes to clean a skull. For elk/moose sized skulls I've actually used a metal trash can that I cut shallow enough to dip the entire skull. A trash can is a cheap option that works but be careful of the sharp edges where it's cut!

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Turned out pretty good, still waiting on it to dry then I’ll put a coat of mop and glow on and throw it up on the wall. A 7.5 gallon oval galvanized tub worked great and fits an elk head just right. Have to rig up something for the antlers to rest on though so it stays in there.

3d1623b6edef52e8c93d090297e65c24.jpg

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
No it doesn’t damage it unless you cook it too much, cook it just enough with some degreaser and power wash it all off. Then boil it with some peroxide. And let it dry!

Why are you boiling? I heard boiling weakens the bone.