Cooking Heads

muddydogs

WKR
No it doesn’t damage it unless you cook it too much, cook it just enough with some degreaser and power wash it all off. Then boil it with some peroxide. And let it dry!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the guys that do this suggest that you simmer the head and don't go full rolling boil. I go with a light simmer myself.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah I don't mean a rolling boil, I do just simmer the heads. And I don't really boil very long, 2 intervals of about 10-20 minutes each, depending on the head.

Most of the guys that do this suggest that you simmer the head and don't go full rolling boil. I go with a light simmer myself.

Jimss

WKR
One thing that will speed the boiling process up considerably is to place your skull in a couple garbage bags and place it in a safe, warm spot for a few days. Be warned that your wife and neighbors may not like it! The meat and everything else will come off WAY quicker and easier! I just boiled a mtn goat skull that only took around 60 minutes and got it super clean. I place muletrain borax in the tub while boiling...helps with the bugs. It's also possible to add dawn to the tub to cut fat/grease. I have been using hydrogen peroxide paste and putting it on with a brush. I haven't tried liquid peroxide but imagine it does a great job as well.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
if you do this though the oil from the animals tissue is more likely to penetrate the skull and stain it, even if you get it super white in a couple years it could start to have some yellow spots. it only takes about 10-20 minutes to loosen everything up on a head then power wash it off. Boiling that long could potentially damage the bones and make them brittle.

One thing that will speed the boiling process up considerably is to place your skull in a couple garbage bags and place it in a safe, warm spot for a few days. Be warned that your wife and neighbors may not like it! The meat and everything else will come off WAY quicker and easier! I just boiled a mtn goat skull that only took around 60 minutes and got it super clean. I place muletrain borax in the tub while boiling...helps with the bugs. It's also possible to add dawn to the tub to cut fat/grease. I have been using hydrogen peroxide paste and putting it on with a brush. I haven't tried liquid peroxide but imagine it does a great job as well.