suggestions on grilling very lean steaks

jspradley

WKR
Jeez, steve rinella says the word sous vide and all of a sudden it's everywhere!

I find lean cuts are the most straight forward, get a hot grill going, rub some olive or peanut oil over the meat (great for lean meats), sprinkle s&p and cook to medium rare.

Somehow the myth of flip once still exists, i recommend sealing both sides a minute each, prevents liquid loss. Then flip every couple of mins, allow to rest and you're good.

Because sous vide is the shit! About time it's catching on in the wild game world!

It really is perfect for super lean cuts like this, just make sure you use nice and thick cuts or its really easy to overcook during the searing process.

Speaking of myths, searing steaks doesn't effect moisture retention, it just tastes delicious. Resting meat after cooking sure as heck does though!

I'm not a master griller but I do know that cutting the meat against the grain helps the temps penetrate to the center and in my oopinion makes for a faster cooking process with a better product.

Cut against the grain (very important)
Marinate
Cook fast on both sides

Thats always been my motto. lol

Because sous vide is the shit! About time it's catching on in the wild game world!

It really is perfect for super lean cuts like this, just make sure you use nice and thick cuts or its really easy to overcook during the searing process.

Speaking of myths, searing steaks doesn't effect moisture retention, it just tastes delicious. Resting meat after cooking sure as heck does though!

It is the way to cook all proteins to perfection! Ive been using one for almost 4 years and converted almost all my friends and family!

ColeKira

FNG
We're all on the same page with lean =rare and very hot sear. I prefer cast iron with butter coarse salt and ground pepper. Sometimes I'll make sour cream with fresh chopped dill to compliment a bloody steak.

Hit it with the salt at least a few hours beforehand. That's going to affect moisture retention more than just about anything. Obviously not overcooking will help too.

Akicita

WKR
had never heard of sous vide :) very interesting concept

hot grill (at least for the sear) sounds like a good game plan

I sear my Tatanka steaks direct on a bed of hard wood lump coal (about 1200 degrees) for about a minute and a half to two minutes one each side - then wrap them tight in foil and a towel for 15 to 30 minutes (depending on thickness). Prior to searing them- salt them liberally with Kosher salt and let them come up to room temperature for 1 hour.

My wife marinates them in the fridge with Beef broth overnight and grills them traditionally.

Last edited:
It is the way to cook all proteins to perfection! Ive been using one for almost 4 years and converted almost all my friends and family!

That's the truth.

Here are some flat iron steaks from a doe I just shot. Sous vide for 2hrs at 130, then into hot cast iron.

Post sear:
2gQCJaV.jpg

Sliced (note the inside - perfectly done right to the edges):
Pt4cxwa.jpg

Last edited:
Sous vide if you have that option, then a screaming hot sear over charcoal or a cast iron skillet. Great way to do lean cuts such as tenderloin or tri-tips.
I second that. Best way to cook a Muley loin I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Had that for dinner tonight.