suggestions on grilling very lean steaks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cut some rather nice, large (1“-ish) bison steaks, would love to grill them, but they are lean- it’s definitely not going to be a Costco ribeye affair :)

I saw something about brining lean steaks (coarse salt rubbed in and then left on a rack in the fridge for a couple of days), might try that- any other suggestions?

We’ve already ate some small breakfast steaks and a roast (all cooked medium rare) and the flavor of the meat is excellent, so would like to keep the streak going :)

Thanks

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Sous vide if you have that option, then a screaming hot sear over charcoal or a cast iron skillet. Great way to do lean cuts such as tenderloin or tri-tips.

Tod osier

WKR
Try sous vide, that is a perfect application. Easy gateway is the cooler method. Vacuum seal steaks and put in a small cooler with 125 degree water for a couple hours (add more water from a tea kettle to maintain temp). Sear on a very hot fire or pan for a couple minutes on each side to bring the internal temp to what you want (standard doneness rules apply - medium temp is medium, rare is rare). Searing also adds the color and grilled flavor, just a minute or two or it will overtemp. A couple hours sous vide will also start to tenderize also.

Stid2677

WKR
Sous vide if you have that option, then a screaming hot sear over charcoal or a cast iron skillet. Great way to do lean cuts such as tenderloin or tri-tips.

What he said,,,,, But if you must, Lean cuts Hot and fast,, or low and slow. I have had bison steaks I would Sear them with the hottest means I had and cook to no more than rare. Lean meat really get shoe leather tough when cooked more than med rare.

fishslap

WKR
1/4 cup olive oil, tblsp soy, tblsp red wine vinegar, 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning, place in quart ziplock with steaks, get air out, lay on counter for 30 min, flip a few times. You want them room temp. Grill on high to medium rare, maybe 5 min/side or less. This is how we grill all of our elk and deer and it’s never dry. I’ve done something similar with melted butter, olive oil, chopped garlic, parsley, and salt/pepper.

bsnedeker

WKR
I really need to get one of those Sous Vide rigs...have heard nothing but great things about them.

In the meantime, I'm a minimalist: Bring meat to room temp, olive oil, salt, pepper, grill or pan-sear on high until MR, serve. If it is a really thick cut of meat like a chunk of back strap (I cut my BS into 8-10 inch-long segments and cut thin after cooking) I will throw it in the oven (or lower grill temp) with a meat thermometer until it gets to MR.

I want to taste my game meat, not a bunch of seasoning. I also do not mix my ground venison with anything else before I make burgers, which is something I know a lot of people don't care for, so take my advice with that in mind!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yep for lean steaks, 500 degree grill top with a thin coating of olive oil or grapeseed oil...4 min on the first side, flip, then off in 3 min...let stand for 7 min before you cut the steaks.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Jeez, steve rinella says the word sous vide and all of a sudden it's everywhere!

I find lean cuts are the most straight forward, get a hot grill going, rub some olive or peanut oil over the meat (great for lean meats), sprinkle s&p and cook to medium rare.

Somehow the myth of flip once still exists, i recommend sealing both sides a minute each, prevents liquid loss. Then flip every couple of mins, allow to rest and you're good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
Olive oil or avocado oil and your choice of seasoning.

I agree with the post above. Super hot grill and sear both sides of the steak (1 minute each side) then you can drop the heat and flip a few times.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
had never heard of sous vide :) very interesting concept

hot grill (at least for the sear) sounds like a good game plan

Hoot

WKR
got a pellet grill? start with steak at room temperature, rub with your choice of seasoning, grill low and slow, no hotter than 275. pull at desired temperature, I like 120. pull steaks, wrap in foil, rest in oven or cooler for 10-15 minutes. get a cast iron skillet as hot as you can, melt a stick of butter and sear steaks 1 min each side.

While the steaks are cooking, toss asparagus in olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, when steaks are done, turn temp of grill up to 450, roast asparagus on grill while steaks are resting.

pour off the brown butter after you've seared your steaks, use to top asparagus.

enjoy.

Brendan

WKR
Missed this last week - but here's quick and easy. Cut into 1-1.5" Steaks. Pat dry with a paper towel. Coat in olive oil and dry rub of choice. Set your grill HOT for 10-15 minutes, turn down to medium-medium high. Cook 3-4 minutes a side, then wrap in tinfoil for 5-10 minutes. Done, and done.

Can you get slightly better results? Maybe. But, this is my nightly routine on my gas grill with Elk and Venison steaks and I'd say it comes out okay....
af16e0f8fb558cacef6a249e8f4bc5ab.jpg
1084413dd54b2695563806c240c723fb.jpg

I will throw in a vote for cast iron pan sear with butter. Season as desired. 2-3 Min’s each side.

I add a little fat via a sauce at the end. Au poivre if you are feeling fancy. But there are tons of simple cream sauces that will be a great complement for a lean steak.

https://cafedelites.com/pan-seared-garlic-butter-steak-mushroom-cream-sauce/

For quick and easy, I love this stuff:

Amazon.com : Primal Kitchen, Chipotle Lime Mayo, 12 Oz : Grocery & Gourmet Food

A little dab with a nice lean steak is great.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for all the suggestions! :)

I gave it a whirl this weekend, steaks to room temperature- coated in olive oil and then rubbed in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and brown sugar

let grill get up to hot, sear one minute each side, turn heat to low, flip a few times and check temp with probe- just before 120, pull steaks and let sit 5 minutes

wife made a side of grilled fingerling potatoes, carrots, parsnips and mushrooms

the steaks were between rare and medium rare, flavor was excellent, but required thin slicing- they are definitely not melt in your mouth like a fatty ribeye :)

mcseal2

WKR
I generally eat beef steak medium rare but a lean game steak I lean hard toward the rare side. Not a cold center maybe, but pretty red and warmish. The longer I cook them the less I like them. A solid medium rare is to much. Sounds like you are very much on the right track. A steak without much marbling will never be the same as a steak with a lot of it, but that doesn't mean they can't be good.

I often marinate steaks like that in Italian dressing or something else with a lot of vinegar. I have heard that helps break down the meat and tenderize it too. I leave it soak in the fridge for at least 2 days also when I do that.

I really like our Traeger grill for beef steak that's fat because it doesn't flare up. I can't get it as hot to sear as I can a different type grill or skillet so don't use it as often with lean steaks.

Russp17

WKR
I cut some rather nice, large (1“-ish) bison steaks, would love to grill them, but they are lean- it’s definitely not going to be a Costco ribeye affair :)

I saw something about brining lean steaks (coarse salt rubbed in and then left on a rack in the fridge for a couple of days), might try that- any other suggestions?

We’ve already ate some small breakfast steaks and a roast (all cooked medium rare) and the flavor of the meat is excellent, so would like to keep the streak going :)

Thanks

Low and slow for a about 40 minutes. Then sear to get the grill marks. Perfectly meduim rare each time. If you have a Traeger or pellet grill they turn out great.