Anyone have a meat grinding plate wear down in the center hole?

I have a cheap grinder that my wife got me for Christmas. I've had it for a couple years now and grind mostly deer, bear and turkey with it. The last few uses I have noticed what looked like little bits of black grease appear in the meat bowl as I'm grinding. Enough that I cant really pick them out. I got looking at the grinder and it looks like it is coming from the grinding plate center hole where the shaft kind of uses the hole to keep alignment. That center hole is now an oval shape. I'm assuming the grease is just wear grease.

I'm guessing my problem is that this is just a cheap grinder, but is there anything I could be doing wrong? I don't tighten the lock ring super tight. I suppose the only thing I don't do that I probably should is lube the components. Any suggestions on what I can do? A new meat grinder will be the answer I'm sure but I'll need to get by with this one for this year at least. For what its worth, I don't taste or notice the grease once I'm cooking it so I have no plans on wasting the meat I've already done.

K

Kootenay Hunter

equipment exposed to food should not have 'black' grease. It should be using NSF silicon grease.

Sounds like the cheap unit did what a cheap unit does.... if the the centering hole is worn and there's not way to replace it, it's worn out.

You could maybe use epoxy and slip a washer (stainless or mild steel, don't use galvanized or plated!) in front of the hole to stabilize the shaft is there's room, that might get you by one more year. I'd take a q-tip or whatever and muck out that grease and replace with silicon either way though.

pics would be nice....

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This doesn't make sense to me, how cheap of a grinder is it? The metal plate should have a clean hole in it that the metal auger tip rides in, I've never greased mine in hundreds of pounds of meat (and its a cheap $100 LEM grinder that just hasn't died yet so I haven't upgraded it to a nicer/larger grinder yet).

MThuntr

WKR
My guess is that the black you're seeing is actually fine metal shavings from wear...those cheap plates are likely sintered metal and not a solid piece of metal. The grease may be from animal fat or it could be a food grade type or more likely something not food grade. If possible replace the plate...a ton of the smaller units are #8 plates which are readily available. Check the connection between grinder auger and the motor as there is often grease there which should be food grade. If it's black clean it and replace with food grade.

I think there are a ton of inexpensive grinders available from reputable companies that I would look into (LEM, Cabelas/Bass Pro, etc). I had one that cost like $75 back in the day and it ran for like 10 years before the motor gave out so that is an option. Yes it's tough spending $ but a bigger 3/4hp grinder will be a long term investment and usually $ well spent especially if you justify the cost by comparing processing fees

jmez

WKR
I'd guess metal filings as well, mixed with fat. If the hole in the plate is oval then the auger isn't spinning true. Causing uneven wear in the center of the plate. The more oval it gets the more wear as it turns. Just get a new plate to get by for now. Likely going to do it again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks all. The grease is definitely coming from The plate and is what I'd call wear grease from metal on metal contact. Iĺl try a new plate for now. A new grinder is in my future for sure.

muddydogs

WKR
Thanks all. The grease is definitely coming from The plate and is what I'd call wear grease from metal on metal contact. Iĺl try a new plate for now. A new grinder is in my future for sure.

Metal on metal contact does not produce grease it produces fine metal filings and since the hole is ovaled out meat product is getting through the ovaled out plate and carrying the metal filings with it into your grind pile. Chances are your auger is not running true and it will be doing the same to a new plate very soon.

Odds are there is a machining flaw and a misalignment problem. Likely nothing can be done for it.