Meateater Recipe ~ Summer Sausage

bearclaw

FNG
I finally got around to making summer sausage out of my elk trimmings from my tule cow last year and once again used the Rinella recipe here MeatEater Hunting - Cased Summer Sausage

I added approximately 10% more ginger, mustard, mustard seed, and pepper than it calls for and still think I could do more. It is as good as any store bought but could use a little more kick. Next I will do with high-temp cheddar and also with jalapeno's (dried).

Great usage of those last scraps. I also ended with adding about 25% pork fat and think that aspect is perfect.

IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1755.jpg

muddydogs

WKR
I have looked at this recipe before but didn't know how it would turn out. Right away I was suspect when it says to preheat smoker to 112-130 degrees, smoke at this temp for 1 hour then increase temp to 180 and smoke until IT is 150 which takes 2 to 3 or more hours.

First off at 180 your right at the temp where you will start loosing fat, most reputable summer sausage recipes call for a max temp of 170, I have pushed the 180 degree mark a couple times and I have had fat out.

Second issue is even at 180 degrees its not going to be even close to an IT of 150 in 3 hours, try 10 plus hours. I usually shoot for 120 ish degrees which takes 8 to 10 hours depending on how I bump up the temps along the way then finish the sausage in a 160 ish degree hot water bath which cuts a few hours off the time. First couple batches of SS I made took 15 plus hours to hit an IT of 150 doing it all the way in the smoker.

Just seems suspect on the time it takes to smoke SS so I wounder how the finished product even tastes or if this is some thrown together recipe that hasn't even been tested. Sure seems like the OP added a lot of extra to make the recipe better as well. So OP how is your finished product?

If you like jalapeño and cheddar sausage try the Cabelas jalapeño mix and add cheese. It’s the best I have ever made.

muddydogs

WKR
If you like jalapeño and cheddar sausage try the Cabelas jalapeño mix and add cheese. It’s the best I have ever made.

The Cabelas Beer SS mix is good as well. I added jalapeno cheese to the jalapeno SS kit for even a little more spice.

EastMT

WKR
I made a good recipe this year with high temp habanero cheese ordered of amazon. Add to your favorite sausage recipe and is awesome, not crazy hot, just a nice warm spice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bearclaw

FNG
I like creating the spice kit myself since it gives you control of each flavor, but in the past have never had a cabelas or Lem spice kit that wasn't great.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
How would you do this recipe without fermento? I don't think it's available in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I like creating the spice kit myself since it gives you control of each flavor, but in the past have never had a cabelas or Lem spice kit that wasn't great.

I bought a recipe book and have tried many recipes but in the end the Cabelas and some LEM ones are just easier and just as good, actually better most of the time. It is easy to add a spice to theirs to get more of a flavor you want too.

I agree that it is fun to try and make your own though.

EastMT

WKR
How would you do this recipe without fermento? I don't think it's available in Australia.

You can do similar using Morton’s Tenderquick. It has the amount per lb to use, they are both used to inhibit growth of bacteria in the meat, cures it so the low starting temps don’t make you sick. 112 is in what’s know as the danger zone, pathogen growth occurs quickly. Any cure product will prevent it from growing through pH or water activity(aW) using salt.

Coop

You can do similar using Morton’s Tenderquick. It has the amount per lb to use, they are both used to inhibit growth of bacteria in the meat, cures it so the low starting temps don’t make you sick. 112 is in what’s know as the danger zone, pathogen growth occurs quickly. Any cure product will prevent it from growing through pH or water activity(aW) using salt.

Coop

I have no clue how or what the Fermento does, but this recipe already has curing salt in it.

EastMT

WKR
I missed the pink salt in there. Fermento is just a starter culture, used to reduce the ph and make it shelf stable not requiring refrigeration. If you want the tangy, acidic flavor, any starter culture will work. I personally make mine without s culture because I prefer the less tangy style and freeze mine.

The recipe has enough cure in it that you could treat it like any other bologna recipe. You'd only have to let it rest in the fridge overnight to cure.

Fermento is not curing salt as another user suggested. It is to mimic the tang you get in a real slowly cured salami.

Summer sausage is a quick cure. Basically fermento is if I recall correctly for lactic acid. Some recipes use yogurt instead to give the sausage that tanginess.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
I’ve made this recipe 4 times now and like it a lot. I agree that I would like a little stronger flavor from the seasonings and usually play with the amounts a little each time. I have found that the cooking time in the book is consistently way off. It usually takes 8-10 hours for mine to cook. I’ll start at 120 and go up 10 degrees every hour until I hit 170 and like another poster said, fat starts to render at 180ish. Everything I’ve seen in the past says to never go above 170. I added high temp cheese and jalapeños this last time. The cheese was a good addition. I used fresh chopped jalapeños and I don’t like the crunchy texture that it adds. Next time I may try pickles jalapeños. Also the heat seems to get cooked out of them so adding cayenne is probably going to be the best option to spice it up.

I just made it and went ahead and rounded the ingredients up. It's a very good ss and plenty of flavor.